Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 ECONOMICS AND MERCY: THE GAMBIAN WAY.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  07:41:59  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/the-rams

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  18:48:21  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Kay

If Gambians refuse to raise sheep, and depend on Senegal and Mauritania, then they better brace themslves for any prices they get. Secondly, Islam does not make it obligatory to slaughter a sheep but keeping up with the Jines is what makes the feast more stressful. Neignbours competing each other even though its know that the sheep are bought with loans like 1x6 loans.

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
Go to Top of Page

mansasulu

997 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  22:48:27  Show Profile Send mansasulu a Private Message
It all revolves around the issue of learning to be self sufficient. I mean how difficult is it to raise sheep?

"...Verily, in the remembrance of Allâh do hearts find rest..." Sura Al-Rad (Chapter 13, Verse 28)

...Gambian by birth, Muslim by the grace of Allah...
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  01:34:48  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Mansa

You are right. When i was growing up, we never bought sheep. We raise one every year for the feast. Now even in the villages, chickens are becoming endangered species. No one raises them anymore.

It used to be that when a someone visisted, chickens were a free fall. Today, the visitor is expected to buy his own chickens. What a strange society we have become.

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  15:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
are you serious kondo? every time i visit, a chicken is maimed, now you mean guest have to fog out for themselves? what is going on man.

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  17:33:38  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Santa

Its true. I went to the village and had to buy one myself. In Bureng, it costs about D185.00 for one chicken. I gave up and deceided to buy two kilos of beef and get a change.

Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  21:00:03  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kondorong

Santa

Its true. I went to the village and had to buy one myself. In Bureng, it costs about D185.00 for one chicken. I gave up and deceided to buy two kilos of beef and get a change.

life most go on. kondo, you are cracking me up. chickens are special birds. as the mandinkas would say, jaati fah luntan yeeh (slaughtering the host for the guest).

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  21:08:50  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
I think the chickens are very right in the above mandinka proverb. We should take care of our own. JAATI FAH LUNTAN YEEH is very much reinforced by another mandinka saying SIBI JANG DUBENG (the shade of a tall palm tree). If you observe a palm tree especially in the hot afternoon, you ccannot but notice that its shade is far away from where it stands hence proving shade to others but not to itself.

In Ghana, it is said " Its only a fool whose tomatoes are sold to him"

But you see, as child, we would know that chickens will be slaughtered as soon as we see a visitor in our compound. It was standard practice to make a visitor welcomed.

By the way, do you know who owns the neck of the chicken?

Go to Top of Page

mansasulu

997 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  22:57:14  Show Profile Send mansasulu a Private Message
Ah! That will be the one who slaughters the chicken..."KANATAI KANGO." At the risk of of offending our animal rights friends...I really miss taking the chickens to the slaughter!!

"...Verily, in the remembrance of Allâh do hearts find rest..." Sura Al-Rad (Chapter 13, Verse 28)

Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  23:37:31  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Mansa

Who owns the large intestine of the sheep that is slaughtered? You got the chicken right.

Go to Top of Page

Karl

136 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  01:12:34  Show Profile Send Karl a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kondorong

Mansa

Who owns the large intestine of the sheep that is slaughtered? You got the chicken right.

Kondorong,
Am not too sure but I thought to give it a go...and if I get it right you must have my "salibo" ready!!!

The large intestine is normally own by either the "baa ring din" mandinka for (nephew)

Or was is it "Kantarr la taa" meaning, the shepherd's own. If i remember well, it's given to the shepherd, usually boys in the village who tends and watches over the flock.

We used to get extremely exited receiving those and I enjoyed my own bits back in the days. What a nostalgic feeling. This is still observed if you attend Eid in the villages.

"People who shut their eyes to reality simply invite their own destruction, and anyone who insists on remaining in a state of innocence long after that innocence is dead turns himself into a monster" J Baldwin
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  01:20:41  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Karl you are right. It goes to the shepherd. As a young boy herding goats and sheep, its a motivation that upon return home, one is guaranteed this portion if a sheep is slaughtered by any owner in the village.

They will keep it for the sheperd unitil he returns home in the evening.

You could hear shepherd boys singing: KAN TARR LA TA, TUNG KU MEH

TUNG KU MEH means large intestine

How about the song in the village on the eve of Tobaski when the sheep will be slaughtered. Give it a try.

Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  09:01:49  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mansasulu

It all revolves around the issue of learning to be self sufficient. I mean how difficult is it to raise sheep?

Mansa: I do not think you can sustain a large population through subsistence farming where everyone grow/rear just for his/her own/families consumption.
I think it is fitting that the Gambian economy evolves towards sustaining a large and mobile society. Perhaps farming in the Gambia should be more focused, efficient, and mechanized/modernized so that more people can leave the land and engage in higher levels of economic activity.
What surprises me is the tendency of the Gambian to ignore market forces and expect buying and selling to be based on forgiveness and prayer ('mashlaha economics'). I was particularly looking at the Point report for ram sellers to "temper economics with mercy" , hence the title of my topic. The report tells sellers that exercising mercy on buyers by lowering prices will bring them abundant reward ...
I just thought that was really funny .

Edited by - kayjatta on 04 Dec 2008 09:03:36
Go to Top of Page

Prince

507 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  13:16:13  Show Profile Send Prince a Private Message
Kay, the idea of “tempering economics with mercy” is really hilarious. It is just another indicator of the country shying away from a market driven economy.

I wanted to comment on the idea of "Agriculture our savior," but i fear ben ganged up on for my divergent views.

One could easily argue that, in reality, agriculture's future in the Gambia is very bleak.
We simply do not have a comparative advantage in agriculture------;

-Our soils are not fertile,

-Gambia’s Agriculture isn't mechanized,

-High population density-our population is growing. We don't have Kansas type of land.

-Land ownership is too small and fragmented- all the land capable of sustaining meaningful agriculture is owned by "his highness, the professor." In the Kombos, agricultural land is already a lost cause.

-The current regime relegated agriculture and the interest of “Lamin the farmer,” for waaaaay too long.

Methinks, we should GRADUALLY shift away from Agriculture. We should insist on GRADUAL to allow folks depending on agriculture, some time to seek alternative means of earning a living.

Truth is, today, the average stereotypical Gambian farmer is hardly earning a decent living from farming.

Nowadays, the hard, all-summer-long, backbreaking, toiling under the blazing sun----; is hardly worth the effort!

Gambia should nurture her human resources to enable her to venture into the manufacturing/service industries and trade. All the so-called Asian tigers used the manufacturing industry to slingshot them to what they are today!

"When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty."
Go to Top of Page

mansasulu

997 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2008 :  17:03:46  Show Profile Send mansasulu a Private Message
Kay what I am referencing is for families to plan ahead as far getting ready for Tobaski. Clearly, Gambians are not keen about farming. But merely getting the means to fulfil a religious obligation is enough motivation to get a small sheep 6 months in advance of Eid and feed it at the backyard of the compound.

I believe it will be better than begging people to "tempering economics with mercy," which on a second glance really sounds amusing!.

Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  06:32:45  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
I totally agree ...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06