Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Education Forum
 History
 IN CASE YOU DID NOT KNOW
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  22:22:11  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
OA Njie replaced him who also stayed briefly after the strike in 1987 or 1988. My memory is fading.

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Edited by - kondorong on 13 Mar 2006 22:26:13
Go to Top of Page

Biraago

Gambia
173 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  23:03:22  Show Profile Send Biraago a Private Message
I want to ask. What is the difference between the Europeans that invaded the now called Americas and write that continents history as if the first inhabitants never existed.

Most of us start writting the history of the territories in which Gambian belongs with colonial referencies disregarding our heretage.

First of all Gambia is not the begining of our history.

The Island of Banjul was mainly inhabited in areas now called Half die which has its reference taken from the bomberedment and genocide of our people during the european so/called world war.

Banjul being sold to the British does cannot negate the history of the pacific people who inhabited the Island and lived a horizontal society unlike those of the ancestors of some of us including myself.

For your information, the term Soninke *first coined from the territories consisting Mali* was an identification of those who resisted the establishment of Islam. Of course it was the Soninkes who were among the first to resist but the name was just used as a term to describe the anti Islam resistance.

Many territories have been conquered by people speaking other languages but this does not mean that the majority of that territory*s or its first inhabitants spoke that language.

Even with the fact that my grand parents are called original Banjulians, I have to accept history in the spirit of justice. We must distance ourselves from chavinism.

I dont want to enter into tribal discussions but I can give you more evidence of the people of original Banjul. I am born and lived in Banjul for most of my life and I have been consistant in trying to rectify the chavinism that exist on that Island and the one coming from outside.

My ancestors, despite the many generations that they can claim of Banjul, are not one of those really original Banjulians whose history is being negated today by immigrants.

In every territory that the European so called discoverers conquer, it is a tradition that the history of that area has to be negated in order to lay claims on them.

One of the central elements of the Pan african movement has always been, to re establish the history of the continent and it#speople in a just way.
Go to Top of Page

Jack

Belgium
384 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  23:04:18  Show Profile Send Jack a Private Message
If someone is interested I have some maps of Banjul (Bathurst) from the years 1816, 1820, 1887, and so on. I don't know how to put it on the bantaba. Otherwise you have to mail me privately.

I can give them as a powerpoint presentation. The pictures of the maps come from the British National Archives.

Greetz. Jede
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  23:17:38  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
MAY BE THE TOPIC DIGRESSED. tHE ACTUAL ISSUE WAS THE NAME OF BANJUL BEFORE IT WAS CALLED bATHURST. i GUESS PEOPLE GOT EXCITED AND MANY CONTRIBUTIONS FOLLOWED. BANJUL MIGHT BE CALLED ST. LEOPOLD BY THE WEST BUT IT DOES NOT NEGATE THE FACT THAT PEOPLE LIVED THERE AND HAD THEIR OWN NAME FOR IT. UNFORTUNATELY OUR HISTORY WAS NOT WRITTEN DOWN BY OUR OWN PEOPLE AND THEREFORE THERE IS ALWAYS A DISAGREEMENT AS TO WHAT THE TRUTH IS AND SOMETIMES CAN BE EASILY BLINDED BY WHAT WE ARE TOLD. THE TRUTH MAY NEVER BE KNOWN.

I HAVE ALWAYS REFUSED TO USE THE TERM DISCOVER BECAUSE IT IS AS THOUGH THOSE NATIVES WERE NOT HUMAN OR FROM AN ALIEN PLANET. THIS SAME JARGON IS STILL IN THE LAWS OF THE GAMBIA. FOREIGNERS ARE CALLED ALIENS AND WAS BORROWED FROM COLONIALISM. INSTEAD OF IMMIGRANT ID CARDS WE STILL CALL IT ALIENS ID CARD AS IF OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS FROM SENEGAL MALI ETC ARE FROM ANOTHER PLANET.

THAT WAS A GOOD POINT BIRAAGO AND IT IS GOOD THAT INFACT AMERICAN HISTORY IS BEING RE-WRITTEN THESE DAYS. I ASKED A FRIEND'S DAUGHTER WHO DISCOVERED AMERICA AND SHE SAID THE INDIANS. WHEN I TOLD HER IT WAS COLUMBUS SHE ASKED THE QUESTION IF THE INDIANS WERE NOT PEOPLE. SOME 20 YEARS AGO ONE WOULD HAVE BEEN TAUGHT THAT CCOLMBUS DISCOVERED AMERICA. MAY BE ONE DAY WE WILL BE ABLE TO RECTIFY SOME OF THIS ANOMALY.

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  00:01:18  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
I think we should have contibution number 2.

FACT NUMBER 2.

Gambian gained Independece from the British on 18th February 1965. Is this so or was it on July 22nd 1994. Your contributions please.

Go to Top of Page

njucks

Gambia
1131 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  11:16:43  Show Profile Send njucks a Private Message
kondorong, your question is not written correctly. it answers itself.

i recently read on the daily observer webpage about an event in Gunjur paying homage to Alh. Omar Taal (omar futio, etc) i know he was in gambia and there is a similar annual gamo in banjul. some years ago i listened to a radio gambia program narrated by Alh.Bamba Suso and translated by Mansour Njie on Alh Omar Taal. he had an extraordinary life going to Mecca in the early 19th century! the program also mentioned his stay in Sokoto, Nigeria and how he had contact with Maba and Alfa Molo etc. perhaps he was a great influence on the soninke/marabout wars? does anyone know more about him/his passage through the gambia where he stayed and visited etc.
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  18:41:30  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
I have heard narrations that he stayed in Brikama when he arrived in the gambia. He looked very poor and asked for help and no one helped except a market woman who was passing by and provided him with good food. It was said that he prayed for the people of kombo for two things.

That even if outsiders come in and make some progress, they will spend all their wealth with them and which is very true of Brikama. What ever you earn in Brikama stays in Brikama as they say.

2. he aslo prayed for the women of kombo who to this day are relatively financially well off than their counterparts around the country.

He did continue to Gunjur and there is a place of worship where he was puported to have prayed.

His contact with the baldehs in Fulladu also happened when the then head of the household was away. The wife came to the farm and found someone at home looking for a place to stay and she was embarassed not to help and decided to slaughter a Ram for him without permission of the husband. To cut it short, he prayed for the wife and told her that she was going to have a baby boy he should name after.... ( a name i cannot rememebr but who became an important chief in Fulladu) Any way this is oral history i heard over the radio some years back and my memory is fading. I hope we have a better contribution.

Njuks

I deliberately put in july 22nd 1994 because the APRC leadership has always believed that true independence came with Yaya in government.

Go to Top of Page

Galo Sowe

Sweden
116 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  20:31:01  Show Profile Send Galo Sowe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Biraago
The Island of Banjul was mainly inhabited in areas now called Half die which has its reference taken from the bomberedment and genocide of our people during the european so/called world war.

What cold war are you talking about Biraago? What is your source?

This is what Florence Mahoney wrote:

"....Moka Town was inhabited by the poorer citizens of Bathurst, most of them being immigrants from the River or Combo states who had been atracted by the demand for labour in the new settlement. It was in this district that most of the deaths occured; during the cholera epidemic of 1869, a tragedy that was to be long remembered by the horrific sign-post which labbeled the old Moka Town, Half Die. Next to it lay Jolof Town, the home of the Wolof mechanics and artisans who had emigrated from Goree with their mulatto mistresses....."

"Soldiers are experts at camouflage but that is on the battle field not the political one, were transparency is the watch word" Kaaniba

Edited by - Galo Sowe on 14 Mar 2006 20:35:19
Go to Top of Page

Janyanfara

Tanzania
1350 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  21:10:34  Show Profile Send Janyanfara a Private Message
kondorong,
We know each other so well 4 I was also in the 1983- 88 batch with Yaya Dibba/Bunja Darboe as deputy Head.If I tell you who I am,you will laugh 4 I was also a senior councilor I was in saloum the best kunda.
You remind me of Mbur(late).Even at Armitage,democracy is dead and there is no more election of councilors.I was there last year....
Anyway,lets pray.
Allmighty God We stand b4 you to have this meal in dining,
We pray you give all long life and keep us away fron hunger..! Amen!(Armitage National Anthem)Ha ha ha..I was a behind brother

Edited by - Janyanfara on 14 Mar 2006 21:19:14
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  21:52:16  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Jayanfara

You must be kidding. You mean you are a class mate. What a small world. I will send you a private email. It is good to keep in touch. You have to accept that Niani was the most clean house. We won most of the trophies for the best house you know that. Our tiles were better.

Edited by - kondorong on 10 Aug 2006 01:01:42
Go to Top of Page

Janyanfara

Tanzania
1350 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  22:03:17  Show Profile Send Janyanfara a Private Message
I was in the same kunda with Sanna Sabally,keno Bah, and many others.4 you to belief me,
Our first batch head boys were,
Ndongo Sillah(183-84), Manding Darboe,(84-85),Habib (86-87)Yaya Dibba (87-88)
Not sure?I just forgot the other headboy...But this will show you I am serious.
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  22:14:01  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Kitabou Ceesay was the headboy i believe in 85/86.
Dont make me crack my hypothalamus. Sana was there with kemo Bah and Papis, Omar saine.

Edited by - kondorong on 10 Aug 2006 01:00:55
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  22:23:38  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Jayanfara

I could not find your email address may you send me one farangkay@hotmail.com

Go to Top of Page

Janyanfara

Tanzania
1350 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  22:50:20  Show Profile Send Janyanfara a Private Message
Go to your Email box ndoke,
Then you will know me.
Stll the same.
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  22:52:38  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
i cant wait to open this email shiverssssssssss

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06