Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 Teacher convicted of pedophile assault
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Momodou

Denmark
11521 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  16:23:45  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Teacher convicted of pedophile assault

An Oslo teacher has been sentenced to two years and nine months in prison for abusing a 12-year-old boy in Gambia.

The offenses took place over several years. The 58-year-old teacher sexually abused the boy and gave him football boots, money and a passport in exchange. The boy's father trusted the Norwegian since he was also a teacher.

Read more at: http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1802836.ece

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  17:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
this is a good jesture by the norwegian courts .i applaud them for the courage and just action in investicating one of there national in gambian socoil .lets not make this slanging match .the authoritues did what most countries wouldn't do.it is sad that parents can trust a complete stranger with their children .in this age of crisis of personality parents need to know better .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  18:28:33  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
We should uphold the rule of law everywhere. I hoped that the officers involved in the death of Mr. Barry leading to the April 10 student demonstration and another ten more being killed by security forces can also face the brunt of the law.

Its no time to jubilate for this when we cannot accord justice and fairplay in our own backyard to our own people. Its rather pathetic that outsiders can give us justice but we cant give ouserlves what we already have and need not look anywhere else. Like the mandinka say: KOTI KO DANI LA
Go to Top of Page

jammin

Jamaica
149 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2007 :  03:36:19  Show Profile Send jammin a Private Message
Kondorong is that justice? i beg to differ. sentencing should be in direct proportion to the crime committed. in two years that pedophile will be out of prison, but that boy's real personality and trust will be in a prison for his entire life. The psychological harm that has been done to the boy is practically irreversible( thus personality imprisonment). I have read on a Ghanaian website were rapist are give 20 years sentences for similar offenses.
NO sir!!! that was a slap on the wrist.

Like a colossus He doth bestride the Narrow World
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  18:52:00  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jammin

Kondorong is that justice? i beg to differ. sentencing should be in direct proportion to the crime committed. in two years that pedophile will be out of prison, but that boy's real personality and trust will be in a prison for his entire life. The psychological harm that has been done to the boy is practically irreversible( thus personality imprisonment). I have read on a Ghanaian website were rapist are give 20 years sentences for similar offenses.
NO sir!!! that was a slap on the wrist.

I am not talking about the sentence in itself, but the trial. The fact that he was put on trial and charged for crimes commited overseas is in itself a triumph. How about Gambians in their own back yards who have still not seen their day in court. How about April 10, the recent death in London Corner, the student in Brikama; etc.

In comparison this is a better bitter pill to swallow than some of the above. Its the lesser of two evils.
Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  08:06:10  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
Does Gambia have any laws that protect minors from involving in sexual relations with adults? Suppose this boy were a girl , would the outcome be different? how many minor girls-12 to 17 year olds-are married away each year in the Gambia , sometimes to much older adults(as second , third and fourth wives) against their will ? Is there anything like statutory rape in Gambian laws? Isn't it time that this problem is addressed?

Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  10:27:47  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
This is an interesting topic Kayjatta. When I asked a Gambian friend he said young girls were sometimes 'promised' to someone but no sexual activity took place till she was old enough to give consent. What is 'old enough'? And does she really have the right to refuse?
In UK the age of consent is 16, but lots of young people have sex in their early teenage years and sadly some even earlier than that.If it is with a PEER and it is equally 'innocent' on both sides then that doesnt concern me too much, but if the man is OLDER I think there is a real issue here. In Gambia and UK. In UK it would be seen as abuse of power.
Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  11:00:45  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
Gambiabev , these girls are literally sold to their older husbands who immediately sleep with them. There is another practice called "bethrothal" , it is an arranged marriage that is decided much early when the girl is very young.
It is unfortunate that "old enough" is a vague concept in the Gambia. It may not at all take consideration of chronological age but the size of the girl's body instead.
There is a story somewhere in this forum about a 16 year old girl who attempted suicide because she is forced to marry a man she does not love/like. It is shameful!

Edited by - kayjatta on 05 Jun 2007 11:34:06
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  11:31:06  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
Kayjatta when I have tried to discuss these delicate topics on bantaba before I have been told by Gambians that it is a cultural thing and basically nothing to do with me.
I am a woman and I am interested in womens rights. I believe that ALL WOMEN should be free to choose their partner and shouldnt be treated like a comodity. This is slavery WITHIN a society which is just as bad as the slave trade. I support action aid in Gambia, because they support the empowerment and education of women.
Kayjatta are you Gambian? If so perhaps people would tolerate you raising this issue more than a Westener raising it. It is really important for a developing country for ALL its people to have a voice, a vote and feel part of the process. In Gambia the people are the countries main asset.
SELLING you daughter as a slave to another man is just about as low as you can get in my view. To do that people must be very desperate. It is very sad.
Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  11:50:30  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
Bev, I am a Gambian , and even though i believe that the slave trade is many times more atrocious , forced marriages are a big problem in the Gambia. It used to be worse than it is today , but it is there.
You are right to be concerned because "injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere".
Interestingly , parents who subjugate their daughters into this social arrangement claim that they are acting in the best interest of their daughters. Best interest ??
I think the solution will just be a legislation to criminalize any forced relationship (especially with a minor )as rape (statutory rape).
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  12:11:08  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
I am interested that you feel so strongly about this as a gambian MAN. With forward thinking Gambians like yourself perhaps things will continue to gradually change? Criminalising something which has previously been socially acceptable is a difficult route to take.Could the Imans give advice on this matter at Friday prayers? Perhaps if they spoke against it it would help? As girls get an education perhaps they will be less compliant to the practice too?
Social/sexual education in school should be encouraging them to delay having sex until they are older (say 16? minimum?) They should be encouraged to say NO to unsuitable male partners. They should be encouraged to think they have rights of their own. The RIGHT to say NO to sex is a very important human right.
How much money would a father get for his daughter? What would this be spent on? (Usually or typically). How does the girls parents sleep at night knowing what they have sold their daughter into? I just cant imagine. Does the mother have any say in this? So many questions as usual. I am just trying to understand the mind set of something that to me is absolutely unthinkinable. I would die of starvation rather than do this to one of my daughters.

Kayjatta, you have raised my opinion of Gambian men alot today! There are some decent ones after all!!! (Please dont take offence, this is a JOKE!!!)
Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  12:30:52  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
I feel flattered. But how much money ? Sometimes a lot , other times nothing. I have seen someone who gave away his daughter to a much older rich man as "alamany" ( a hybridized word for alimony). Others do so claiming to strenghten family relationships.
However , despite all the various reasons and excuses given the practice is wrong , abusive , and a subjugation of our beautiful young girls. The psychological implications are unquantifiable.
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  13:10:54  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
Kayjatta are you married?!
Seriously if you are, your wife and children are very lucky to have such a nice man in their lives. Keep posting the MODERN (not WESTERN)
Gambian mans point of view.
Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  13:18:45  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
Thanks Bev, but I don't know what my wife will say about that. I am married to a Gambian woman (from a different tribe). We live with our eight year old daughter in the U.S.
Go to Top of Page

electric

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  13:55:21  Show Profile Send electric a Private Message
I am completely in agreement with you guys but I think the practice is dying out.

In my opinion it is all down to lack of education and ignorance and as the majority of cases take place in the country side, there should be a programme from the Department of Health and Social Welfare geared towards educating the people about the harm it causes to these very young girls. A law could also be passed to make the age of consent 16 and make sure the perpetrators face the full wrath of the law in place.
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  17:19:14  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
Are you settled in the USA Kayjatta or do you plan to go home sometime? Where was your daughter born? My dad bought me up to think I was as good as any man (not better, just able to hold my own in their company). I really appreciate that, especially as I get older. Not all men are so kind to their daughters. The best thing you can do for her is make her believe in herself. American culture is very good at that anyway, but your psoitive opinion will be a great gift to her.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06