Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Announcements
 Announcements: Community
 Obituary: Dr. Sulayman Nyang passed away
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11513 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2018 :  07:53:21  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A tribute
by Alagi Yero Jallow

Inna lillahi wa Inna Ilaihi Raji’un.

Professor Sulayman Nyang: An Iroko Tree Has Fallen: Africa has lost one of its greatest son and public intellectual. He lived an accomplished life of service to humanity. Dr. Nyang was Africa’s gift to the world. A man of integrity and intellectual courage as well as a profound decency. We need more like him in our national and global academia. People tell the dead to rest in peace. Professor Nyang was occupied with the living, living in peace. Fare thee well great son of Africa.

I have received the news of the passing on of my friend, compatriot and a role model Professor Sulayman Nyang, with a deep sense of great personal loss. May his soul rest in eternal peace. Shocked and deeply saddened of the passing of Prof Nyang, an African intellectual giant.

He was a towering scholar and a great human being. The best of the best. Not only was he an inspiration but helped us in many ways.
Unbelievable:
An ode to Professor Sulayman Nyang:
Beyond the skies you cross
This, a collective and personal loss
Of a tireless public intellectual so close.
Of the days at Howard university, Political Science,
Philosophy Peace, justice; Islam, literature - times so close.

A rolling stone gathers no moss?
Beyond the skies you cross.
Away from the daily dose
And the homely chores
Away from the hard-nose boss
And, the public intellectual so bellicose.
Away from women eaters morose.
Prof. Nyang our Prof,
In the land across where no cock crows
- a land made eternal by the cross,
Your Smile remains our glucose.
Rest in power.Prof.Nyang.

Prof. Sulayman Nyang: Thanks for being Gambian. Thanks for your excellence on Political Science, Philosophy and Islam - Theory and Practice. Together with Prof. Sulayman Nyang, thanks for enabling young Africanist and Gambianist scholars to pursue studies at prestigious universities - when Gambia’s tertiary education became inhospitable. Prof. Sulayman Nyang, thanks for your investment of intellect at Howard university. Prof. Nyang the man the Gambia would wish to but won't forget; your works shall surely; affect eternity. May Allah grant you Jannat-ul-Firdo

Treasures of his literary Legacy :. https://www.amazon.com/Books-Sulayman-Nyang/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3ASulayman%20Nyang&fbclid=IwAR1DlCgJ38nkZGXtOXfRUsdewjFatBKn0UsgxIfIIWJS-PgoGzJFlyThi8c

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

Momodou

Denmark
11513 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2018 :  07:55:29  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May Allah (SWT) grant him Jannah. I only knew him from Gambia-L and never met him in person but we had several correspondences. He was one of Gambia’s finest scholars who was always willing to share his knowledge. My sincere condolences to his entire extended family, students and friends.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11513 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2018 :  12:58:02  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humanities Profiled: Dr. Sulayman Nyang at American Muslim Council

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9YACkEVDPQ

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11513 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2018 :  11:45:05  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tribute: Professor Sulayman S. Nyang
by Prof. Muhammadou M.O. Kah

The Point: Friday, November 16, 2018

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/tribute-professor-sulayman-s-nyan

Inna Lilahi Wa Inna Elaihi Raaji Houn. May Allah, SWT grant Prof.Sulayman S. Nyang Jannatul Firdaus.

We Convey our Condolences to The Gambia, SeneGambia, Africa, the Diaspora and Beyond!

I will miss you dearest uncle, Prof. Sulayman S. Nyang! I will miss the warmth and ever ready radiant smile and excitement you convey, whenever you see your nephew. I will miss your love for me and my family, your guidance, words of encouragement, support and unflinching faith in me. What I will missmost is our engaging exchanges on deep and profound issues and ideas and Yes, our beloved The Gambia included, which would go on for hours and sometimes all the way into the wee hours of the night. I always benefitted and left inspired withnew insights, newer perspectives, deeper understanding of context and appreciation of one’s “social geography”. He often said to me, with a gentle smile, My Nephew (Jarbaat), Muhammadou, always know your “Social Geography”. This wisdom continues to serve me well.

I will forever be grateful for Prof. Sulayman Nyang’s guidance and mentorship when I started my academic career at Howard University as a young faculty member and a colleague. I fondly remember periodic Friday consultations, discussions, guidance and learning sessions I benefitted from,throughout my five-year stint at Howard University with Prof. Nyang, Prof. Mbaye Cham and later on Prof. Jabez Ayo Langley. This continued periodically, beyond Howard.

Prof. Nyang was a brilliant scholar with a beautiful, restless mind and wisdom. He was full of energy and enthusiasm. His commitment to his faith, contribution to scholarship, education, enlightenment, creation and sharing of knowledge had no limit or boundary. One of the pioneers of scholarship on Gambian politics and a world-renowned scholar on Islamic Thought, with huge intellectual contributions to the understanding of Islam and interfaith dialogue in North America, the Diaspora and beyond.

He was an internationally respected and accomplished scholar, Professor, community leader. He served as a Professor and former Chairman of the African Studies Department at Howard University in Washington, DC since 1972. He also served his country during our First Republic as Deputy Ambassador of the Republic of The Gambia to Saudi Arabia and seven other North African and Middle Eastern countries.

Prof. Nyang received amaster’s degree in Public Administration and a Ph.D. in Government from the University of Virginia in 1974.His academic journey and career took him to Howard University, Washington, DC. in 1972, where he taught various courses in political science and African studies. He had a brilliant and successful academic career at Howard University, Washington, DC., from where he retired and was honored by the University for his service and contribution to the University.His research focused on Islam, African systems of government, African political thought and public policy.His contribution to scholarship and development of many highly accomplished scholars across the world is immense.

Prof. Nyangmentored, supervised, examined and served as dissertation committee member to many PhD students at Howard University andother world-renownuniversities.My wife, Dr. Jainaba M.L. Saho Kah, was honored to have Prof. Nyang as an external member of her Rutgers University PhD dissertation committee. I recalled, he also taught some Gambian students at Howard- Mr. TombongSaidy and DrMadiTouray were amongst them. Hecontinued to supervise, member of dissertation committees and servedas external examiner to many PhD students in the world’s most reputable universities until his retirement in 2016.He was a role model and inspiration to all of his students and those lucky to cross his path.

Prof. Nyang was a co-principal investigator of the Muslims in the American Public Square (MAPS), a research project funded by The Pew Charitable Trustand served as a consultant to several national and international agencies and on the boards of the African Studies Association, the American Council for the Study of Islamic Societies, America’s Islamic Heritage Museum, and the Association of Muslim Social Scientists. He served as a director of Muslim Media Network Inc. and was an advising scholar for the award-winning, PBS-broadcast documentaries Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet (2002) and Prince Among Slaves (2007), produced by Unity Productions Foundation.

Prof. Sulayman S. Nyang wrote extensivelyon Islamic, African and Middle Eastern affairs and was the founding editor of the American Journal of Islamic Studies, now known as American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences. He was also the President of the Association of Muslim Social Scientists.

Prof. Nyang’samazing journey of service to uplift societies and humanity was exhibited in his superb community leadership across continents. He could not say “no” to anyone or any group or organization that requested his time and/or intellect and presence. He was always willing to share the gift of knowledge bestowed upon him by the AlmightyAllah, SWT.

I will forever remain grateful to Prof. Nyang for his huge contribution to the University of The Gambia (UTG) from its dawn. He visited during the early years of the UTG during the tenure of the 1st Vice Chancellor - Prof.Donald E. Ekong; and for hiscontinued wise guidance and mentorship throughout my tenure as the 1st Gambian ViceChancellor of the University of The Gambia (UTG). One of the unique and special contributions to the UTG was the donation of his entire rich library collection for the benefit of students and faculty. This invaluable donation,during my tenure, enriched the limited library resources and holdingsof the UTG library housed at Gambia College, Brikama Campus.

Prof. Nyang’sgenerosity of spirit and very kind soul, was wrapped with positive energy and enthusiasm. Memory of his gentle and beautiful smile remains to inspire us all. His respect forhumanity was always manifested inhis interfaces and engagements. He was a fine gentleman and a giant amongst giants in academe, with an enviable modesty, humility, contentment and empathy. He mentored, inspired and contributed to successful and progressive futures of many diverse peoples in the academy and beyond. Apragmatic Pan-Africanist intellectual of repute and excellence, a global citizen in the service of humanity and a rare gem and son of The Gambia, Senegambia, Africa, the Diaspora and the world.

Once again, our condolences to the family, especially his children, Sulayman Nyang Jr. and Edna Elisabeth Nyang and the many out therewho loved him dearly and continue to be inspired by his humanity and gift of intellect!

“To God we belong, and to Him is our return.”

Author:

Prof. Muhammadou M.O. Kah, Former Vice Chancellor, The University of The Gambia & Currently, Vice President & Provost; Professor of Information Technologies & Computing, American University of Nigeria

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06