Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Literature
 Poetry Forum
 The Road
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sankalanka

270 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  20:18:20  Show Profile Send sankalanka a Private Message
The road is long
and the travelers many
all speak in different tongues.

The road is long
it goes round and around
around and around
and there is no end in sight.

The road is long
the travelers are weary
and despondent
some shout at the top of their voices
others trudge silently along.

The road is long
and there is no end in sight
travelers speak in different tongues
some weary and others despondent
some shout and others trudge silently along.

The road is long
the pace and the furor
it is a long walk
a journey that is lonely too.

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2013 :  08:54:59  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
Great poem!The title reminds me of the post-apocalyptic book (and film by Carmac McCarthy, The Road). Nonetheless, you have succintly captured the nature of our struggle....
Go to Top of Page

sankalanka

270 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2013 :  22:16:33  Show Profile Send sankalanka a Private Message

Kay, I remember seeing his interview with Oprah. The only thing that comes to my mind is a father and a son travelling on a road. I just looked-up the title and read the apocalyptic nature of the book.
Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  11:55:32  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
Yes, he and his son are the main characters in both the book and film. It is a pro-environment work, showing the earth after a major environmenatl catastrophe - perhaps a nuclear disaster (not quite the political catastrophe your poem might have depicted of the Gambia in my own eyes). The few people who survived, homeless, starving and wretched, lived by any means necessary including robbery and cannibalism. However, they kept going through the fire, rain and lightening, with the hope that there is a better future ahead somewhere....
This is the political analogy I saw in your poem. Great job !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06