Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 ID cards GET ONE !
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  20:00:17  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
This from the D.O.: Landlords and everyone else take note,this should be a money spinner the sale of ID cards should boom now,Gambia is getting more and more like the UK,no spy street cameras yet though !!

http://observer.gm/africa/gambia/article/gambians-urged-to-obtain-biometric-id-cards

Gambians urged to obtain biometric ID cards
Africa » Gambia
Friday, August 13, 2010
Cadet Inspector Lamin K. Manneh, the public relations officer (PRO) of the Gambia Immigration Department (GID) has appealed to Gambians 18 years and above to obtain the new Biometric Identity Cards.

He observed that for the past two months, there has been a low rate of ID card applicants and not many Gambians have the new biometric ID cards. PRO Manneh made this appeal as he walked into the Observer offices yesterday afternoon. "Having the biometric ID card doesn't only mean you have an ID but it contributes to your personal security; it also helps in controlling the movement of people from place to place and more importantly document security," he remarked.

He continued: "It was due to the conditions attached that one must have the new biometric ID before getting a drivers licence, that many people applied in their large numbers from January to March, but soon after the month of March, the number of applicants began to drop. "Other nationalities except those who are exempted need to come and regularise their status by obtaining their residential permits that will allow them to reside in the country. If they fail to do so, they will be categorised as illegal immigrants. The registration of aliens also applies to non-Gambians. Landlords, property agents, lodge owners are advised not to allow anyone to reside within their premises without regulating their status with the Immigration department."

He finally appealed to village alkalos and district chiefs to support the GID in safeguarding our national document and in the control of the movement of people within and outside the country, all geared towards making The Gambia a peaceful and tolerant nation.
Author: by Assan Sallah

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

sab

United Kingdom
912 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  13:56:48  Show Profile Send sab a Private Message
Toubab, Just a publicity build up for the 2011 election.
Link below refers to The Gambia
http://www.wethepeoplewillnotbechipped.com/main/news.php?readmore=4879

http://bearmarketnews.wordpress.com/2010/04/08/mandatory-identity-cards-a-world-view/ You will find The Gambia under Biometric and Smart ID Card Schemes Worldwide - Schemes to be implemented by 2012 - at the bottom of the page.

and for those lucky students elsewhere to fill there stomach http://www.wethepeoplewillnotbechipped.com/main/news.php?readmore=6260

http://www.wethepeoplewillnotbechipped.com/main/news_cats.php?cat_id=39

Have a good weekend & enjoy your read

The world would be a poorer place if it was peopled by children whose parents risked nothing in the cause of social justice, for fear of personal loss. (Joe Slovo - African revolutionary)
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  14:08:38  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
SAB
Lots of reading here but from a QUICK glance there is mention of " providing biometric voters card "
which would bear out your comments,I can't get my head around the difference between a voters card and an ID card, any ideas?

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

sab

United Kingdom
912 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  18:38:26  Show Profile Send sab a Private Message
quote:
I can't get my head around the difference between a voters card and an ID card, any ideas?

and I thought u read your Gambian newspapers thoroughly..

One of the most, if not the most important national document is the ID card. It is the base document which a person needs to get a passport, a voter's card, a bank account, a hospital bed at subsidised rates, a Tax Identification Number and so on and so forth. (above is quoted from the article below)

http://allafrica.com/stories/200912230616.html

http://allafrica.com/stories/200908171734.html

The world would be a poorer place if it was peopled by children whose parents risked nothing in the cause of social justice, for fear of personal loss. (Joe Slovo - African revolutionary)

Edited by - sab on 15 Aug 2010 00:00:13
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  23:20:45  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
Well gven that the immigration official quoted by the observer above is only asking people of 18yrs of age and above, which is also the voting age in the Gambia, to acquire ID Cards, I think the two can be algamated into one and serve both purposes. However, since this is a money making scheme, I think the government would still want to keep them separate.

Regards

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  01:03:24  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
You have both,made things clear for me, thanks for that, I now get it ,first you start off with an ID card,which gives you access to all the other official documents that you would want, a driving licence, a TIN number etc. Is a voters card a requirement or can you choose not to vote ?

Edited by - toubab1020 on 15 Aug 2010 01:05:41
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  19:19:08  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
voting is not compulsory in the Gambia and I don't think the government would want it to be so. They are afraid of the silent majority who didn't vote for them but also not for the opposition the last time.

Regards

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.

Edited by - Nyarikangbanna on 15 Aug 2010 19:20:41
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  00:09:13  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
That information is interesting,not for continued discussion on this topic but it bears out what Turk posted in one of his more lucid moments :

"Gambian voters are yet to reach a level of political consciousness that they rely on to vote on the basis of Principles, policies and programmes and practices."

Edited by - toubab1020 on 16 Aug 2010 00:10:44
Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  09:55:45  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by toubab1020

That information is interesting,not for continued discussion on this topic but it bears out what Turk posted in one of his more lucid moments :

"Gambian voters are yet to reach a level of political consciousness that they rely on to vote on the basis of Principles, policies and programmes and practices."

The aspect of a "silent majority" can not be explained by,"Gambian voters not yet reaching a level of political consciousness" in fact not voting could have been a conscious decision. So, there are other reasons as to why the majority was/is consciously or unconsciously silent.

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy

Edited by - Janko on 16 Aug 2010 09:57:21
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  12:33:34  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

"not voting could have been a conscious decision" Yes maybe.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06