Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 England/Happiness.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  13:35:29  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
Sorry this has no relevance to anything........

Just to say England is beautiful today. I have just taken my dog for a walk and it is sunny, but windy. The pink cherry blossom is falling off the trees and it looks like pink snow..... so beautiful.

I walked along by the river and the water looking lovely and then I turned back and walked through a beautiful long tunnel of hedgerow full of birds.

Such simple pleasures make me very happy and content.
My dog is asleep at my feet now. She likes to be with me all the time.

Perhaps I could ask you all out there 'What makes YOU happy?' There is a new TV programme in England investigating happiness. What it has found is that from 1956 to 2006 people in uk are much richer and have alot more possessions....but they are LESS happy. I find this very thought provoking....especially in relation to deveopment in The Gambia.

serenata

Germany
1400 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  14:15:36  Show Profile Send serenata a Private Message
Thanks, Gambiabev, for your uplifting message to us! Good to see there are more people who are able to enjoy the beauty we often ignore or take for granted.
Go to Top of Page

bamba

Sweden
401 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  14:27:35  Show Profile Send bamba a Private Message
Happiness is very difficult to define and put a finger on. U've just come back from a long walk with your dog. In your fridge, u have food for u and your dog. If u dont have a job or salary, your subsistence becomes the resposibilty of the state. Against the background of such a comfort and ease, it's still difficult to put a finger on or define happiness. Let's look at it from another perspectiv.

In our part of the world, there are parents who are forced to standby and see their kids die under their noses of malnutrition. There are mothers who will carry their hungry babies in their arms, up to their last breath, before hunger finally takes them away forever. How can such people define happiness.

And remember, most basic problems of the poor can be solved.

Bamba
Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  14:46:39  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
eve, i am glad you wrote that

BAMBA, what is your problem someone puts a happy message on forum you have to come back negative.
what would make you happy. what would you like use to write about. i could write about the ills of the world AIDS, OTHER ILLNESS, BAD GOVERMENTS, POVERTY, STARVATION.
STOP BAMBA, if you are not happy with life so be it. But what you write about sounds like sour grapes.
WHAT FLOATS YOUR BOAT.

Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  14:50:10  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
What makes me happy, learnig that my students are doing well at their studies, planning my next trip to gambia, good conversation with my family and friends, my church and community. i do not need to have a lot of money to be happy, things in my past taught me that, a rich man can be unhappy.
Go to Top of Page

serenata

Germany
1400 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  14:50:11  Show Profile Send serenata a Private Message
Bamba, you are a hypocrite. Don't tell me you are mourning the fate of the poor all day through. Don't tell me there is nothing in the world you enjoy, as long as the situation of the poor countries doesn't change. Don't tell me you personally are among the poorest of the poor. Stop killing other people's innocent pleasures, stop killing anything that is positive. The negativity you are indulging in doesn't change a yota; it is nothing but a tool to give other people a bad conscience anytime they find a little piece of joy and happiness.

The accent was on nature, and nature's beauty. As I know from my own experience, it can lift you up even if you are in a depressing situation.

Edited by - serenata on 08 May 2006 14:51:24
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  14:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Bamba that's a valid point however a smile, an acknowledgement of your existence, a touch or just a cool breeze under a shade of a tree, or cool drink of water quench your thirst, birds singing or playing around on a branch of a tree doesn't cost any money. Happiness starts from the inside out no amount of money can buy you genuine happiness but happiness can attract to you a lot of money.

Peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

toubab

Gambia
92 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  15:01:57  Show Profile Send toubab a Private Message
Happiness is a state of mind. No none is 'happy' for the poverty and starvation in the world, but never feel guilty for being happy with your own life. That is a major achievment. And yes having less possesions has certainly lightened my load, most of them are unnecessary!
Go to Top of Page

twinkly

United Kingdom
190 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  15:16:32  Show Profile Send twinkly a Private Message
Jambo

Even heard of the saying EACH ONE, TEACH ONE, REACH ONE?
Or are only we Westerners allowed to teach?And they(Africans) have to learn?

Gambiabev, I envy you, we have terrible weather, I've got wet 4 times already today.
I am still happy though
Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  15:22:26  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
twinkly
i have heard of the saying and have used it a lot on the forum. I can learn from everyone. it is not only westerners who can teach. I do not know why you would think that. did i give that impression.
Go to Top of Page

twinkly

United Kingdom
190 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  15:35:00  Show Profile Send twinkly a Private Message
Sorry Gambiabev for spoiling your thread.
Just quickly....

Jambo, maybe this is what Bamba is trying to get at?I don't know...
Thanks for not jumping at me for my cockyness

Now I'm thinking what makes me happy...
I am generally a happy person.
It makes me happy when I can help and be nice to others.
I find it quite hard to think of anything else
Go to Top of Page

Babylon

Sweden
691 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  16:05:21  Show Profile Send Babylon a Private Message
Happiness = payday!
Go to Top of Page

Jack

Belgium
384 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  16:07:11  Show Profile Send Jack a Private Message
It's nice to be nice.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12241 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  16:20:15  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Hi, in a way I can understand where Bamba is coming from,when I am in Gambia and staying local, I feel that strangely I am happier,than staying in an hotel,where what a tourist pays for a day in an hotel, can feed a family for a week or even a month ,thats not right, and perhaps these sorts of things that westerners are able to afford makes Bamba feel very unhappy,I can understand that,perhaps that is why unhappyness is reflected in some of Bamba's postings.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

twinkly

United Kingdom
190 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  16:26:24  Show Profile Send twinkly a Private Message
He is simply trying to teach US something.But being the way we are, we don't get most things...either we are naive or ignorists.
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  16:35:32  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
Jede LOL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06