Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: General
 The Soothsayer; part 1
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalton1

3485 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  03:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Dalton1's Homepage Send Dalton1 a Private Message
Kons;

your pular proverbs inspired me a lot. The piece below is an observation of a typical Gambian society. Part 2 will follow soon.

http://www.gainako.com/

...............................A SHORT STORY:
THE SOOTHSAYER & HIS CLIENT.
................................By: Yero Jallow....December 5th, 2007

The short story titled “The Soothsayer and his Client” is freely written by Gainako’s co-editor Yero Jallow. In it,
he reflected back to a typical African society or better put as Gambian culture for that matter wherein the belief
system in soothsaying is wide. In the story below, Pa Sorrey takes the character of the soothsayer while Bailo
takes the position of the client. In other to relate to the story, one must have experienced an African society
wherein such beliefs are commonly practiced daily.

Below is the story as was written: By Yero Jallow

The Soothsayer & his client
The elderly wise man, Pa Sorrey has thrown the sea shells and read
the cast on the mat spread on the ground. In disgust, the soothsayer
shook his head and said “You know in Nema, there is not a man walking
at night but he passed through Sorrey.” Bailo in agreement nodded his
head to signal approval.

In his disclosure, Pa Sorrey emphasized that everything is within God’s
knowledge and that God knows well his shells don’t lie.

Pa Sorrey has picked five shells out of the thirty-three and handed them to Bailo and ordered: “You
can pronounce your wish Bailo and give it back to me with a consultation fee of D3.00.”

Bailo has done the perfect wish in secrete. Among the village girls was Fatou Jali-jali
which was his first wish. Second, Bailo wished for a visa to Europe. Third, he wished for
some wealth. With the voice of “Amen!” he handed the shells back to the old man with the
consultation fee of the two dalasi-coins.

Pa Sorrey threw the shells and the spiritual shiny sea shells have spoken the language of
the wish.

“Who is that light-skinned girl?” Pa Sorrey asked. With a smile Bailo replied “It must be Fatou.”
“By the power of my shells, she is yours.” Pa Sorrey promised.

“Which journey is this?” Pa sorrey asked with confidence. With a happy smile “To Europe!” Bailo
replied.

“And whose piles of money leaflets are these bags right there? “Noted Pa Sorrey while pointing to
three shells on top of one and another. In tears Bailo replied “So all that is mine?”

“All shall be well with you. That God knows my shells don’t lie. Whatever they say, that’s your
destiny. “Uttered Pa Sorrey.

“So what have you seen oh guardian of Nema, the great hero to the land of our forefathers where our
umbilical cords were buried raw? You know we come here because we don’t doubt your shells. Tell
me as the shells’ve communicated to you, bad or good, that’s what is written on my forehead.” Said
Bailo.

“The oracle commands you give away charity. First, for your trip, you have to sacrifice a white cock.
When the cock crows, it is obvious you will be flying in the air just like its crow noise does.”

Bailo eagerly wrote on a notebook the description of the cock to be sacrificed, and how the
cock-ritual needed to be done.

“The Oracle commands that you take 100 white cola nuts to the mosque where elders pray. Each of
the elders at the mosque with a bead (kurush) recites that hundred times, timely for supplication and in
repentance. That’s your multiples of money bags. See, the prayer on the prayer beads never falls to
the ground.” Uttered Pa Sorrey

Bailo rejoined on his note book.

“Lastly, do you know biscuits? Buy one package of biscuit and divide it among female children. The
sweetness of the biscuits shall be attached to your skin to any female whenever the sun rises from the
east. And I ask, do you know of any child that would give a back to a sweet biscuit? If your answer is
no, then Fatou is your hand to the grave as you willeth.” Uttered Pa Sorrey.

With a handshake and a farewell, Bailo left the old man, and went home to perform the prescribed
rituals as was instructed.

The first miracle happened when Bailo confidently approached Fatou, and to his utter surprise she
replied to him in the positive.

To be continued…

"There is no god but Allah (SWT); and Muhammad (SAW)is His last messenger." shahadah. Fear & Worship Allah (SWT) Alone! (:

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  07:36:29  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
very good yero.i like this kinds of stories .it help us to better understand the mindset of our folks.keep them coming.

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dalton1

3485 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  13:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Dalton1's Homepage Send Dalton1 a Private Message
Uncle Suntou,

I am glad you like it. I traveled far into our belief systems on the night of the piece. All said well, it is also the 'mindset' of a great number of our people.

& thank you for your time.

Dalton

"There is no god but Allah (SWT); and Muhammad (SAW)is His last messenger." shahadah. Fear & Worship Allah (SWT) Alone! (:
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2007 :  14:19:05  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
I do like it very well also comrade! Keep up the good spirit and sharing all your resources, time and efforts with us.

Many features under Gainako flow through this forum (Bantaba in cyberspace) always.

Many thanks to Gainnako team and Bantaba Admin.!
Go to Top of Page

Dalton1

3485 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  00:35:28  Show Profile  Visit Dalton1's Homepage Send Dalton1 a Private Message
Sir Kobo,

I appreciate your compliments. I am glad you like the story. Thanks to the many contributors and readers here and other fora.

We are all equally grateful for the lee-way we have in this forum.

Gainako in its spirit of sharing is true love for all; bondage of relationship bridges; promotion of national agendas; interaction with others; learning and educating; engaging and getting feedback and et cetera. This is a very powerful tool. No one is an island. We have to be together. We will continue to share our views here as just ordinary people, like any of you. Sometimes, we feel shy to forward pieces to forums to avoid making it look like we are trying to gainakonize forums.

As a way of support though, Gambians and non-Gambians alike can support the course of Gainako by sharing through their advertisements, also contributing to our debates as time permits them.

In any ways, Teddughal jomiradoh, teddughal neladoh, an-neh teddughal maa heh dow ghol-leh mah pewdeh.

Ah jaramah jeff

Dalton.

Go to Top of Page

mansasulu

997 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  17:19:14  Show Profile Send mansasulu a Private Message
Keep them coming my brother. I really like it i must admit. I cant wait for part two...

"...Verily, in the remembrance of Allâh do hearts find rest..." Sura Al-Rad (Chapter 13, Verse 28)

...Gambian by birth, Muslim by the grace of Allah...
Go to Top of Page

Dalton1

3485 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  13:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Dalton1's Homepage Send Dalton1 a Private Message
Mansa,

I appreciate your complement & I am glad you like it. It is entirely imaginary but based on our belief systems. Inshallahu, you are guaranteed part 2.

thanks,

Dalton

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06