Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 Timber Dealers Decry Forestry Ban
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  22:24:03  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Timber Dealers Decry Forestry Ban

By Modou Jonga

Barely a month after the coming into effect of the ban on all forestry activities by the President of the Republic, numerous timber dealers are lamenting that it is unbearable and detrimental to their survival. The timber dealers at Brikama expressed their frustration with the ban on timber cutting, in an interview
granted to this reporter.

Abdoulie Tinn, a timber dealer noted that the ban completely halted his business and that the ban should be lifted because it is unbearable. The ban on forestry activities, noted Mr. Tinn, is seriously affected his income generating capacity in taking care of the basic needs of his family. While urging the government to revise the circumstances of the said ban, Mr. Tinn has lamented that he has lost over ten thousand dalasis due to the ban and logs of timber left uncollected in the forest.

Another desperate timber dealer, Landing Nyassi, said he has been in the timber business for ten years and that he is finding it extremely hard to make ends meet. We are at a lost to understand the reasons for the ban on forestry activities”. He stated that the scarcity of saw dust due to the ban has also affected woman who produced the ‘Soda Soap using materials including saw dust.
He lamented that he has 22 logs of timber left in the forest uncollected.

Sedio Sonko noted that the ban has halted his timber business. “The scale of the felling and marketing of the red timber has necessitated the ban, “ he posited.
According to Mr. Sonko he had one hundred and fifty dalasis worth of timber uncollected in the forest and has lost an amount of ten thousand dalasis due to the recent ban. Another timber dealer, Ousman A. Jammeh, said he is desperate.
Mr. Jammeh urged the relevant authorities to furnish them with sufficient information as to what gave rise to the forestry ban through the mass media.

More than thirty timber dealers who spoke to this reporter have lamented about the adverse economic effects of the benon them due to the said ban. They reiterated the call on the government to reconsider and lift the ban in due course.

Source: Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.124/2007, 22 – 23 October, 2007

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

toubab1020

12238 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  13:14:43  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
I wonder if this Ban extends to firewood? If it does that is serious,a knock on effect can be expected in charcol and scarcity will arise,having consequences for family finances in cost terms but more seriously in health terms those on low incomes may have to resort to eating uncooked or undercooked food ,gas is expensive and cannot be afforded by many.Which ministry ordered the ban and what were the conditions? Maybe there is a newspaper reporter somewhere who has an uninpeachable source within the government who can gain information.This Ban will affect many not just the timber dealers.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  15:27:39  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
NO WOOD FOR CHACOAL, my heart is crying, this is a small business for many families, I hope it is not true.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12238 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  15:36:10  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
JAMBO,I only posed the question I didn't say that charcoal was included but it is a timber product after all.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 23 Oct 2007 22:54:01
Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  16:53:38  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
I afree that is why I am hoping they are not affected.
Go to Top of Page

mbay

Germany
1007 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  17:19:17  Show Profile Send mbay a Private Message
What a dramatic impact for us!
Yes we need our forest but there should/ most be a compact solutions to this .
What a challenge for the concerned , hope there will be a exception to this a real new frustration conditions .
We simple cannot stand with out a woods, from coking to the furniture's.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12238 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  11:04:05  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
This ban, if it applies to all timber products could be catastrophic,I have seen no information posted elswhere,what types of timber does it apply to bulk round timber from hardwoods only, all timber, charcoal?,who knows,bantaba readers are not interested, looking at the postings recieved so far ,but perhaps they are waiting for more details to be forthcoming before joining in,I would like to think that reporters are working to give us more information.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12238 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  16:14:40  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

This may well have something to do with things,and of course Customs duty!
This snippet from The Foroyaa Newspaper!

http://allafrica.com/stories/200711051312.html

Edited by - toubab1020 on 05 Nov 2007 16:17:12
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  22:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
It's important that hardwoods are protected in Gambia apparently there has been excessive logging done by loggers chopping down teak trees. Which is not sustainable and will have devastating effects on Gambia's ecology.

Peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12238 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  23:21:30  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Quite so Sister, no one should argue with that, but in what districts are these trees in Gambia?

Edited by - toubab1020 on 08 Nov 2007 14:30:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06