Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 who made yahya dance at the beach
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  20:44:46  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
a senoir civil servant told me one famous gambian reggae musian base in denmark made yahya to serious dance at the beach ,who could that be ? he said it may be a guy call friky or freddy .but i told him yahya always dance to bugarabo not just reggae .did any one of you show yahya dance or stab himself as a show of strenght ? child head of state

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

www.suntoumana.blogspot.com

LEMON TIME

Afghanistan
1295 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  23:34:33  Show Profile Send LEMON TIME a Private Message
CHA Yaya will dance to his own music sooner that later.Alhassan may know the Reggae MUSICAIN

There is no god but Allah
Go to Top of Page

LEMON TIME

Afghanistan
1295 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  00:36:18  Show Profile Send LEMON TIME a Private Message
Santanfara this is yaya and his mates, enjoy

Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  13:08:00  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LEMON TIME

CHA Yaya will dance to his own music sooner that later.Alhassan may know the Reggae MUSICAIN

LEMON TIME,
I am sorry I cant recognise anybody here. I know Fali Baldeh and the older guys. Guys like Tyson, Mor Padam are not so known to me.
But you realy took me back to dakar. What we see here is the M'BAPAT Style" as there are two styles in Senegal. I hope you are sa good as there people in wrestling.
Go to Top of Page

serenata

Germany
1400 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  16:50:33  Show Profile Send serenata a Private Message
Lemon, thanks for showing us Yahya's Po...
Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  16:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
quote:

Santanfara this is yaya and his mates, enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndOBiM9GVjw

lemon ,you are still making bantaba juicy , Alhasan will sing for us one day .

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22
"And among His signs is the creation of heavens and the earth, and the difference of your languages and colours. verily, in that are indeed signs for men of sound knowledge." Qu'ran

Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2007 :  13:15:56  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Santanfara
lemon ,you are still making bantaba juicy , Alhasan will sing for us one day .

Santanfara,
This is something you people have missed. If you come to Sweden, you will be able to here me sing. If you want I can come to you , but remember a Jeli does not travel invain. JALI SORO is a must.
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2007 :  18:42:51  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alhassan
Santanfara,
This is something you people have missed. If you come to Sweden, you will be able to here me sing. If you want I can come to you , but remember a Jeli does not travel invain. JALI SORO is a must.

Well Alhassan if you are a true Jali as claimed, who is called JALI JONG BANNA and what is the story behind it and what last names carry this title. They are the only people who can take money from a Jali and the only people that a Jali does not ask for money
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  08:36:47  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
Kondorong,
JALI JONG BANNA in Wollof is JAMI GUEWEL they are the only people we cannot ask money from. Back in Mali , they are the Kuyatehs. In the Gambia the Mandinka refar to them as JALI FORO.
Withn the wollof people they can have any secondname like Camara, Syange etc.
If you have a better answer, you are welcome to put it forward as we all give and take.
Remember, when I grew up, we went to school and had a different up bring with the older generation. We were not encouraged to practice our culture at all. We even had a symbol for those who spoke varnacular(our mother taung)unlike the ones who grew up withn the French colonies, like my causins in Senegal and Mali. I was even mocked because I played drums(SABAR) and got discouraged when I was in Form 3.I remembered Arfang Kanuteh with his Kora at Armitage and there too some people laughed at him.
I would advise the government to invest in culture as much as possible if I have the chance.
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  18:27:10  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:

Kondorong,
JALI JONG BANNA in Wollof is JAMI GUEWEL they are the only people we cannot ask money from. Back in Mali , they are the Kuyatehs. In the Gambia the Mandinka refar to them as JALI FORO.
Withn the wollof people they can have any secondname like Camara, Syange etc.
If you have a better answer, you are welcome to put it forward as we all give and take.
Remember, when I grew up, we went to school and had a different up bring with the older generation. We were not encouraged to practice our culture at all. We even had a symbol for those who spoke varnacular(our mother taung)unlike the ones who grew up withn the French colonies, like my causins in Senegal and Mali. I was even mocked because I played drums(SABAR) and got discouraged when I was in Form 3.I remembered Arfang Kanuteh with his Kora at Armitage and there too some people laughed at him.
I would advise the government to invest in culture as much as possible if I have the chance.

JALI JONG BANNA is only one group called the SAHO or Sisawo. The story goes that a Jali visited a noble Sisawo family and he was well treated. The host became so happy with the tunes that he offered the Jali the biggest gift yet to come and told him to pull a rope he will find in the court yard and take what ever comes out. When the Jali pulled it, out came the noble man with a rope round his neck.

From that day on, jali's who never had their "own" slaves had in effect become masters of all the Saho or Sisawo families. They are the only people that a jali does not ask for money.

I have used that many times in Gambian ceremonies and get away with it but there are some jali's who dont know about it and keep asking me. For those Jali's i always admonished them to learn the trade as required.

JALI JONG BANNA means the noble slave of the Jali because the man was of noble descent not a slave.

Infact those Jalis who know this take part of their money at naming ceremonies and gve to someone with a Saho last name. Someone offered me money when i told him i was Saho/Sisawo. Saho is a corrupted version of Sisawo.

Jali Foro unfortunately means something differnt.

Alhassan

Since when did Camara become a wollof last name

But like the wollofs say: KUYE DEH, WECKU
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  15:44:55  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
Kondorong,
i think we have to seperate fiction and non fiction when it comes to history. You have your own version and UI have mine. I am not disputing anyt of your posting on this topic, but I would rather be an observer as I have more time in doing the real Jeli practice.
You seem to confuse my opsting. I know many Camaras born withn the Wollof and have nothing to do with other Camaras. An example is the Jeli Sait Camara he is WWollof, Andrew Camara was a Fullah.
I know what I am talking about. Even in the Numis in Chamen there are many Camaras but wollof nowadays. Thuis is a fact and I would advise you to go and find out tp prove me wrong. Even here in Stockholm we have PA CAMARA, but he is Wollof and from Banjul. They speak nothing but Wollof. Go to Sefo, Many Camaras but JOLA and 7 ansestors Jola, likewise the Camaras of Gluster Street, 7 ansestors Wollof. Charles Camara my former classmate is a Fulla. He speaks only Wollof because he was briought up in Banjul.
I do not understand your Wollof proverb.
Today there is Jersey Marong in Banjul, but they will never tell you that they are Jola Karoni. They will tell you they are Wollofs and thats it. There is a headmistress called Mariama or Yama Jersey, go and tell her she is not Wollof because she is called Jersey.
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  19:31:29  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:

Kondorong,
i think we have to seperate fiction and non fiction when it comes to history. You have your own version and UI have mine. I am not disputing anyt of your posting on this topic, but I would rather be an observer as I have more time in doing the real Jeli practice.
You seem to confuse my opsting. I know many Camaras born withn the Wollof and have nothing to do with other Camaras. An example is the Jeli Sait Camara he is WWollof, Andrew Camara was a Fullah.
I know what I am talking about. Even in the Numis in Chamen there are many Camaras but wollof nowadays. Thuis is a fact and I would advise you to go and find out tp prove me wrong. Even here in Stockholm we have PA CAMARA, but he is Wollof and from Banjul. They speak nothing but Wollof. Go to Sefo, Many Camaras but JOLA and 7 ansestors Jola, likewise the Camaras of Gluster Street, 7 ansestors Wollof. Charles Camara my former classmate is a Fulla. He speaks only Wollof because he was briought up in Banjul.
I do not understand your Wollof proverb.
Today there is Jersey Marong in Banjul, but they will never tell you that they are Jola Karoni. They will tell you they are Wollofs and thats it. There is a headmistress called Mariama or Yama Jersey, go and tell her she is not Wollof because she is called Jersey.

I like your wording of "..nowadays...". Just because some is Camara and can only speak Fulani does not make him a Fula nor does it make him a Wolof. Camara is mandinka period. I know Charles Camara and I worked with him. His last postings was at the FAO office in some administrative capacity from URD in the Basse neighborhood I believe. Earlier I think he worked at the ministry of youths and sports or the Natural Resources and environment.

I have lived long enough in the urban areas to know how confused people are of their culture. By the way was it not the Wollof who said: SANTA AMUT KERR BAYE [:D]

One of the reasons why Prophet Mohammed was sent to the rural areas of Arabia to be brought up was to learn the pure Arabic culture by his guardian.

I have Jallow classmates who claim to be Wolof. They cannot speak any Fula. I think every Gambian knows that Jallow is Fulani. However overtime, it will not be a surprise for this distinction to be blurred. What happens is that when minority tribes settle in some areas, they tend to take the culture of the host and assimilate. Some even change their last names. I don’t like giving names but there are people in high positions whose last names were not the original last names they had.

Some rose to become Directors. This trend is more common within the Wolof tribe mainly due to one reason. The wollofs are very welcoming and this ability to assimilate has made them being joined by people of different tribes identifying themselves with them. They are certainly better hosts. And because of this kindness and their love for the arts, looking elegantly dressed and enjoys partying; no wonder many tribes have “become” Wolof.

I am not sure what the origins of the wolof saying: SANTA AMUT KERR BAYE is. Was it perhaps directed to those who have assimilated among them and given up their identity or was it because of their lassire faire and easy going approach to life in general. Either way, one underlying thing keeps surfacing; and that is tolerance.

There is only one other last name that is the same as Camara. Do you know it. I expect you to know it as a JALI. Camara are people of Manding and Wolof is not. So I cant see how Camara can be Wolof when the Wolof were never part of Manding.

I know Alagi Sait Camara who runs a radio programme with Mansour Njie. He has a good account of Maba Jahou. I have participated on that programe and have sometimes challeged some of their contributions. One of them was the mosque in Banjul. We never agreed. The oldest colonial recors showed that the first mosque was headed by a Fulani man with a BAH last name. The application for a permit for allocation of land for a mosque was at the Archives some 15 years ago.

Just to remind you that Wolof was not spoken in Banjul until 1816 when Captain Grant came with them from Goree and St. Louis(now called Ndarr) in Senegal at a time when those territories were under the British, casually called the Colony of Senegambia. Yousou Ndour had a song for the people of Ndarr regarding their love for life, dress and being good host in the track: TACKO SAN NDARR,.

I have read earlier accounts on the Wolof tribe way back 300 years and western description of the Wolof have always captured their love for dressing fine and being best in their appearances and enjoy life to the fullest. They are naturally not an aggressive tribe and far more adaptable and flexible than a Mandinka man.

Mandinkas don’t or hardly assimilate. A tribe that is very proud and will always maintain tradition.

I will give you one historical rule in Africa; the more receptive a tribe is the less of an influence they have in either creating a large Empire or influencing one.

It is in the same vein that the Jola never had kingdoms. Infact they are more loosely united with no big central authority and are credited for not taking part in Slavery.

Have you heard of a Wolof Empire? No. It’s just the tiny chiefdoms of Baol, Kadjor, Sine, Saloum, and Walo all found within a tiny radius from Panchang to Kaolack to the northern fringes of Senegal, a small area but large enough to hold at least five royal houses.

Compare this to the Nuba People ( Black Pharaohs who occupied the whole of Egypt, with the whole of Sudan), the Mali Empire ranging from modern day, Mali, Guinea Conakry, Gambia, Niger, Upper Volta, Sierra Leone, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Sierra Leone and some border line areas of the fringes of the Sokoto Caliphate. Practically the whole of West Africa with Timbuktu as the burstling center of learning with over 20,000 students long before the West had any university of any sort.

Go to Top of Page

Santanfara

3460 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  20:29:10  Show Profile  Visit Santanfara's Homepage Send Santanfara a Private Message
Alpha Kondo ,this is interesting .you have reminded of my history note books . i choose to be an accountant just for the marketability but history was my best subject .thanks man kondorong . but can you try to explain to me one thing ,that is my great gran father who settle in kantora during the reign of one sanyang mansa was a fanafana and he was mbye touray ,now are the tourays not also mandin moris .this is funny .our famous fanfana touray is buka mbahal .was this also assimilation ?

Surah- Ar-Rum 30-22

Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  22:03:59  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Santanfara

Alpha Kondo ,this is interesting .you have reminded of my history note books . i choose to be an accountant just for the marketability but history was my best subject .thanks man kondorong . but can you try to explain to me one thing ,that is my great gran father who settle in kantora during the reign of one sanyang mansa was a fanafana and he was mbye touray ,now are the tourays not also mandin moris .this is funny .our famous fanfana touray is buka mbahal .was this also assimilation ?

Touray is of Manding descent and not Wolof. You will find such claims in Saloum especially around Ballangharr and parts of Sanjal which were traditional chiefdoms of Saloum. A few Touray wolofs are found in Panchang Maka Guye probably less than a mile from the Senegalese border.

As for Mbye, its a wolof last name popular in Saloum mainly in Panchang Madifana where they are the Alkalos and few handful in Panchang Wharftown but the Alkalo is with the Ceesay, the traditional Chiefs in Upper saloum tracing as far back as the line of Sawalo Musa Chendu Ceesay. Its the same line up to Njau of Omar Batorr Ceesay.

Links in the family are associated with the mystical ancestory with DEGG CHEBO or Lake Chebo on the outskirts of Panchang on the way to Nyanga bantang from Kaur. The lake would be on your right.

Mbye can also be a wolof name and sometimes synonymous with Baboucarr. Baboucarr and Mbye and sometimes inter-exchanged with the advent of Islam in the region.
Go to Top of Page

LEMON TIME

Afghanistan
1295 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  22:14:42  Show Profile Send LEMON TIME a Private Message
Hey guys WHAT about LEMON being a manjako or AKU PICKIN.

Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2007 :  22:16:27  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:

Hey guys WHAT about LEMON being a manjako or AKU PICKIN.

Lemon is English and likes Yorkshire Pudding
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06