Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Education Forum
 History
 WHAT WAS THE AFRICAN QUEEN
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  18:22:57  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
The time was around 1940/45

anna

Netherlands
730 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  19:14:37  Show Profile Send anna a Private Message
I remember a romantic movie with this title, featuring Kathryn Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart - but maybe this is not what you are referring to.....
I think the 'African Queen' was the name of the boat they were using in the movie.
Kondorong, you should be old enough to remember it (because i remember it too, and my hair has not turned grey yet).

When an old African dies, it is as if a whole library has burnt down.
Amadou Hampate Ba (Mali)
Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  19:36:28  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
The African Queen was the name of the steam boat that was owned by Humphrey Bogart's character in the film "the african queen"
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  19:44:52  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Well in the context of Gambian history, it was a large factory ship used in the Gambia around 1940 to extract shark oil. It belonged to the Colonial Development Corporation. Who knows this ship could have been used in movies
Go to Top of Page

anna

Netherlands
730 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  21:04:42  Show Profile Send anna a Private Message
Shark oil? You mean there were sharks in the Gambia river at that time? What was it used for? I remember codliver-oil (awful) and i know the Scandinavians and the Japanese are using all parts of the whale, including the oil. Is the CDC the same corporation that used to breed chickens-with-yellow-legs?
Kondorong, you bring up interesting facts. I saw the slave house in Georgetown and it made me think of a warehouse. Have you seen the old warehouse in Basse, where there is now a guesthouse/restaurant called 'Traditions'? It is a beautiful place.

Amadou Hampate Ba (Mali)
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  21:40:25  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
The CDC also had those chickens. As for the so called slave house in Gerogetown, i still have my doubts. I believe it was a warehouse for food for the liberated slaves as this house was never mentioned in 1785 or 1823 when the island was bought and settled respectively by the British. It certainly could not have just come up overnight.

Yes there were sharks in the Gambia large enough to attract a British investment of $1.5 million just after the second world war when Europe was in need of rebuilding and competing funds to all areas of the economy. There must have been a sizeable number to allow such investment of British Tax payers money.

It looks like what ever gets started in Gambia just ends in the dustbin. The Gambia Distillers Ltd which also started after independence making brands like Duncan's Whisky, Banjul Gin, Queen Elizabeth Gin and Tourell Brandy is history. This should not be mistaken for the Indian Coca Cola Brewerey
Go to Top of Page

anna

Netherlands
730 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  22:08:19  Show Profile Send anna a Private Message
Maybe it was a warehouse after all, with some cells for prisoners at the time. I saw the shackles. If you have the opportunity, go see Traditions and have a coffee on the veranda on the first floor - you'll have a great view of the river, see the women doing the washing. Who knows, the 'African Queen' will sail by (i'm afraid Kathryn and Humphrey are both dead, but they had long lives even though they were great smokers). It should be a wonderful name for a nice boat to make rivertrips, i can see the deckchairs with brightly coloured cushions and smiling Gambian waiters and waitresses serving drinks and a nice chicken(without the legs)dish. Mooring at Traditions would be an excellent idea - the perfect place for a nice benachin-lunch. I think my imagination is running away with me...
How about these sharks and what did they use the oil for?

Amadou Hampate Ba (Mali)
Go to Top of Page

anna

Netherlands
730 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  22:32:42  Show Profile Send anna a Private Message
Another African Queen (i saw this link on the Dutch Gambiapage):
www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-37.0.html

Amadou Hampate Ba (Mali)
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  22:45:12  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by anna

Maybe it was a warehouse after all, with some cells for prisoners at the time. I saw the shackles. If you have the opportunity, go see Traditions and have a coffee on the veranda on the first floor - you'll have a great view of the river, see the women doing the washing. Who knows, the 'African Queen' will sail by (i'm afraid Kathryn and Humphrey are both dead, but they had long lives even though they were great smokers). It should be a wonderful name for a nice boat to make rivertrips, i can see the deckchairs with brightly coloured cushions and smiling Gambian waiters and waitresses serving drinks and a nice chicken(without the legs)dish. Mooring at Traditions would be an excellent idea - the perfect place for a nice benachin-lunch. I think my imagination is running away with me...
How about these sharks and what did they use the oil for?

BENA CHIN?

Its best with ROFF( a combination of greens and spice stuffed in the fish and a bit of DAKHARR and YATE.With a tumblar ATTAYA is a direct flight to heaven. No visa needed.
Go to Top of Page

anna

Netherlands
730 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  22:52:00  Show Profile Send anna a Private Message
And then we will sing the song!

Amadou Hampate Ba (Mali)
Go to Top of Page

anna

Netherlands
730 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  22:54:10  Show Profile Send anna a Private Message
You will have the attaya and i will have the Banjul gin (just a small one)

Amadou Hampate Ba (Mali)
Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
660 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  23:01:32  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by anna and i know the Scandinavians and the Japanese are using all parts of the whale, including the oil.

I have never used any part of a whale...so what are we supposed to with them?

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

njucks

Gambia
1131 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  23:16:03  Show Profile Send njucks a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kondorong
Yes there were sharks in the Gambia large enough to attract a British investment of $1.5 million just after the second world war

there are still sharks. i dont think they come from the river but the Atlantic. few years ago it was some asians who were after it, i think they were Chinese or Japanese. its a wasteful fishing method. only the fins are needed!!

i dont think the brewery ended in a dustbin. and most things dont. many people are running successful businesses making millions. Chellerams is a good example since the 1960s i think. the British brewery might have become the Gambia/German brewery Banjul Breweries in which the government is a minority shareholder.

Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  01:36:30  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
May be the Gambia Distillers Ltd. has transformed to banjul Breweries and the Indian Coca-Cola Factory has become Chellarams.
Go to Top of Page

ylowe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  04:41:23  Show Profile Send ylowe a Private Message
Anna, do you want to try the chicken with the yellow legs? If you do kons might have some for you. Bye
Go to Top of Page

anna

Netherlands
730 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  10:37:47  Show Profile Send anna a Private Message
No thank you, might be too bony.

Amadou Hampate Ba (Mali)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06