Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Gambia's Opposition Holds Emergency Meeting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dalton1

3485 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  04:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Dalton1's Homepage Send Dalton1 a Private Message
Folks,
Gambia's opposition held an emergency meeting behind closed doors to respond to jammeh's tribal tirade on Gambia TV.

Folks, the time is now and we all must act.
http://gainako.com/?p=2305

Best regards,
Yero

"There is no god but Allah (SWT); and Muhammad (SAW)is His last messenger." shahadah. Fear & Worship Allah (SWT) Alone! (:

Momodou

Denmark
11516 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  09:29:50  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Let’s hope that no one starts announcing any "behind closed doors" discussions by the opposition parties prematurely just for the sake of being the first to break the news. It is divisive to report about the internal communication among the parties when it is not announced in a press conference. That is in my opinion how Pa N’derry contributed in the fiasco of NADD during the oppositions negotiations on choosing a common presidential candidate.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12240 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  12:19:20  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Politicos are always Politicos, very often they say and do things that "with hindsight" they shouldn't have done.Answer:
TRY to THINK before you do anything. (I should try that sometime,that would be good !

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Dalton1

3485 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  14:35:43  Show Profile  Visit Dalton1's Homepage Send Dalton1 a Private Message
quote:

Let’s hope that no one starts announcing any "behind closed doors" discussions by the opposition parties prematurely just for the sake of being the first to break the news. It is divisive to report about the internal communication among the parties when it is not announced in a press conference. That is in my opinion how Pa N’derry contributed in the fiasco of NADD during the oppositions negotiations on choosing a common presidential candidate.

Momodou,

It is entirely your opinion that it can be divisive that way. I think I witnessed your stance against Pa Nderry then. I want to position that I do have my disagreements on your take. The news must be reported as it is. It will be censorship for any to control the flow of information. Suffice to how others brand things, it is defferent. The environment under which Gambians operate requires the aggressive reporters like Pa Nderry to make the difference. I don't always agree with what Pa Nderry reports or how he does it, and he will share with any there are times when I position my opinion to him on certain matters which he respects, sometimes says yeah or nay, but I recognize the genuineness in the path that he is doing right. Closed or open doors, if it happens, it will be put out as time permits. Trust me, first or last to break it, hasn't been the issue. People are trying to get things out by the minute and as it happens. This is for strategic planning. On the NADD debacle, the writings are clearly on the wall for any to honestly state what happened. I know it is always okay to have a different opinion on how one perceives things. People must know fully well that it doesn't mean that opinion is right. In this case, I think your opinion while respected, It is entirely not in line with how I perceive things or in my context of what can be termed right. No journalism book will state that anywhere as well. I know tens of thousands of others that would agree me. You probably have others in your line of defense as well and that certainly make opinions.

I think the current momentum must be developed further. Those that believe in the easy way or the middle way should continue. Others that see it fitting in a more engaging (The Pa Nderrys) way , must as well be respected for their stance. Things are beyond the "maslah" stage. The aggression must be confronted by all means necessary. People must be ready to see beyond. I am positioning that there is no democrcay without its ingredients.

Part of what I observed over the years, even the neutrals (aka apolotical) do have strong political opinions, including some of our own family members who think it is not worth the trouble. I think it is entirely inline with our struggle to make the much noise, to run the big headlines, to inform people and get them ready for the final hour. Under a normal circumstance, people shouldn't think of hiding. We must demystify the fear factor must. That we are all humans and death comes to us only once. Until we prepare our folks to such a level, we risk being kept under control by unaware forces and dictatorship governments.For the information of our readers at bantaba, the parties concerned gave the story out, so this is an open secret. This is not close to what can be termed divisive. This is an era of new ideas. The elders must accept the generational change which will do a lot of things differently.

Thanks for rejoining ....much appreciated and I like you shared.

Best always,
Yero

If it interest readers, here is what Mai Fatty said on fb exactly three (3) hours ago...

..."In reviewing our position, we participated at series of marathon consultations jointly conducted by GMC, UDP, NRP & PPP on crafting a common position regarding the regime's dangerous divisive politics, and its confrontational foreign policy. Today, GMC shall again take part in leading the efforts to rally the country towards national unity, and in informing the nation of the dangers inherent in the regime's isolationist propensities. GMC practically influenced the final text of the Joint Statement to be issued today in the Gambia by the four coalition of the willing - GMC, UDP, NRP & PPP, and GMC shall issue a Message at a press conference this afternoon in Banjul. Those opposition parties who did not make this joint collaborative effort with the four of us were invited on equal footing but chose not to participate. Join me in thanking my Team on the ground for their steadfastness, commitment and sacrifice."

"There is no god but Allah (SWT); and Muhammad (SAW)is His last messenger." shahadah. Fear & Worship Allah (SWT) Alone! (:

Edited by - Dalton1 on 24 Oct 2013 15:06:08
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11516 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  15:32:35  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
There is a saying: "All roads lead to Rome". Thanks for your understandig that we don’t necessary have to agree on the same way of doing things.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12240 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  15:49:52  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

Very Good Momodou,I like it !

quote:
Originally posted by Momodou

There is a saying: "All roads lead to Rome". Thanks for your understandig that we don’t necessary have to agree on the same way of doing things.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11516 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  18:15:37  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
A very historic press conference, thanks to Kibaaro Radio and modern technology I am listening to it live on Tunein.
Keep the momentum.

Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  19:44:52  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
"THE JOINT PRESS STATEMENT ISSUED BY OPPOSITION POLITICAL PARTIES —- UDP, NRP, PPP AND GMC " AS REPORTED BY GAINAKO NEWS;

Gambian Opposition Rebuffs President Jammeh’s Tribal Sentiments

THE JOINT PRESS STATEMENT ISSUED BY OPPOSITION POLITICAL PARTIES —- UDP, NRP, PPP AND GMC

The Press release from the office of the President captioned “Gambia Accuses Britain and US”, of smear campaign read over GRTS by Mr. Momodou Sabally Secretary General, Head of the Civil Service and Minister for Presidential Affairs and translated into the local languages and relayed through the same medium is in our opinion ill considered, un- called for, worrisome and divisive in a country where tribal and religious tolerance is the envy of the world. The press release represents the position of the Government of The Gambia on the particular matter or issue.

To describe Britain and United States of America as enemies of the Gambia is rather unfortunate unrealistic and misleading. There is no gain saying that these two countries have immensely contributed to development agenda of this country and every right thinking Gambian should appreciate this. Let there be no illusion about the fact that we as a nation can no more meet the demands of today’s world by acting alone. We cannot afford to take rash decisions and make ill considered statements that will result in our international isolation.

The allegation that the UDP is a Mandingo tribal party created and funded by Britain and the United States of America is ridiculous and laughable. We abhor all attempts that seek to isolate our country and spread false and farfetched conspiracy theories regarding the establishment and funding of UDP.

To create maximum impact, the statement delivered by Hon Momodou Sabally on behalf of The Government of The Gambia was aired on national air waves at prime time and published by the print as well as the online media. To castigate the Mandingos, the Jammeh administration seeks to set a foundation for widespread sectarian political conflagration intentionally and specifically targeted against one specific tribe.

Since all Gambian media sources, including the independent print media and the GRTS are

Accessible on the internet, the impact of the statement has negatively affected hundreds of thousands of our citizens worldwide, and continues to generate great concern among Gambians both at home and abroad. This is evidenced from the on-going intense discussions and reactions among our compatriots on all online and offline social media. There is tremendous justification for this, being one of the most dangerous official statements ever made by any government in the history of our nation. It has severely over-heated the polity.

Our position is that any matter or issue that has the potential of threatening our peace, stability, national homogeneity, religious and ethnic tolerance is inimical to national unity, development, peace, stability and security. Therefore, being leaders, we cannot afford to sit on the sidelines as onlookers on a matter of such fundamental national concern that has the potential to plunge our beloved country into serious crises.

We must act resolutely to douse the brooding inferno and silence the drums of relentless tribal contempt that is being intentionally provoked by the State against the Mandingos.

Our combined reaction is not borne out of the desire to come to the defense of any particular ethnic group and in this instance the Mandingos. Rather, our reaction is dictated and inspired by the urgent need to immediately halt the dangerous tribal politics and hate speech calculated to set our peoples against each other.

The unbridled attack on the Mandingos ignores the fundamental that beneath all the difference of tribe and region, faith and station, we are one people bound together by common destiny. History is gradually recording events and Hon. Sabally must be reminded to learn from the experience and lessons of at least two of his predecessors in office. He ought to know that there is virtue in moderation and modesty. Hon. Sabally should know that under Jammeh it does not pay to be a borrowed tool to disaffect others.

The most conclusive evidence of un-called for rhetoric, recriminations and tribal contempt against the Mandingos, is contained in the Tobaski message delivered by President Jammeh himself on national radio and television. Like Hon. Sabally’s statement, President Jammeh Tobaski message was for good measure translated and broadcast in the local languages and published in the print media and online papers.

Tobaski being one of the most important religious events in the Muslim calendar, it should serve as an occasion for forgiveness, thanks-giving and fostering unity. But shockingly, President Jammeh used the occasion to inflict calumny against Mandingos and to sow seeds of discord among Gambians.

In that Statement, delivered on Tobaski eve, President Jammeh selected and isolated only the Mandingos as a distinct tribal group, addressed them separately and branded them as the main opposition to his rule. This hate speech is captured verbatim not only in audio and video formats, but also in the print media and online press for eternity.

The relevant part of the President’s Tobaski message that singles out Mandingos for attack reads as follows: “Being truly patriotic includes the respect for authority and the defense of one’s nation against all odds. On this note, I hereby urge our Mandingo brothers and sisters that they have every right to oppose the Government but they have no right whatsoever to tarnish the image of our country”. By this specific reference to only the Mandingo tribe to the exclusion of all other tribes, President Jammeh implies that Mandingos are unpatriotic and engage in tarnishing the image of the country. The same Tobaski message which was posted on the official website of State House has been edited with the specific reference to Mandingos deliberately removed so as to present a laundered image of the President.

Gambia and Gambians have never conducted public affairs on tribal platform. There have been over the years intermarriages amongst the ethnic groups of the Gambia. There are several Mandingos married to Jolas and the Tallinding Kunjang settlement is testimony to these intermarriages.

No Gambian, particularly the non Mandingos, will miss the fact that the Majority Leader in the National Assembly is a Mandingo. There are at least nineteen (19) APRC National Assembly Members who are Mandingos and who strenuously defend the APRC ideas and ideals. The APRC National Women Mobilizer, the National Youth Mobilizer are all Mandingos. The list of persons who are Mandingos and hold important positions in the APRC Party is inexhaustible. But President Jammeh must be reminded that Baba Jobe, Tabora Manneh were Mandingos and that Majanko Samusa, Lamin Kabba Bajo, Yankuba Touray and Yaya Jarjussey are Mandingos. It was Alhagie Kalifa Sanno a Mandingo from Brufut, Dembo Santang Bojang a Mandingo from Brikama, the late Kebba Touray a Mandingo from Pirang and Lutang Jaiteh a Mandingo from Bakau who approached President Jammeh to resign from the Army and contest for the Presidency.

It is a known fact that there are hundreds and hundreds of security personnel (Gambia Armed Forces of which he is the Commander- in – Chief, the Gambia Police Force, the Gambia Prison Service, the Gambia Immigration Department and National Intelligence Agency) who are Mandingos and are very loyal to the President and his APRC Party.

The administration’s anti Mandingo statements has shocked even members of President Jammeh’s own APRC party many of whom reached out to their fellow Mandingos across the country to express their repugnance, and to distance themselves from these anti Mandingo rhetoric. We are comforted by the maturity exhibited by Gambians on this and similar occasions. It is clear that President Jammeh is isolated not only by his own supposed APRC supporters and government colleagues in his anti Mandingo campaign.

The government’s anti Mandingo position is not only abominable and reprehensible but is also condemnable. In a country where there is respect for constitutionalism, the conduct of the President would not only have received reproach from the National Assembly but would also cause it to initiate impeachment proceedings against him for his calculated scheme of setting other tribes against the Mandingos which in effect is to undermine the unity of this nation- the foundation of our constitutional scheme of government.

The pronouncements by the President and his Secretary General are a direct breach of sections 212 (1) and (2) of the constitution. This section enjoins all organs of state to strive towards the realization of national unity peace and stability and every effort must be made to integrate the people of The Gambia and foster loyalty to The Gambia without discrimination. The President and the Secretary General should be the lead observers and adherents to this Directive Principle of State Policy. The anti Mandingo ranting by the Jammeh administration is a direct assault on Mandingos for exercising their inalienable political and constitutional right guaranteed by section 25 (1) (e) of the Constitution of The Gambia.

We call on all Gambians not only to condemn this reprehensible trend, but to also condemn it in the strongest form. In rejecting this dangerous trend, we are comforted in the knowledge that we speak for the majority of Gambians both at home and abroad across all political spectrum and for all tribes and age groups. We urge all Gambians to remain united as one family, and to continue to live together in harmony, peace and love, as we have for decades. We must all resist the dangerous attempt to stratify our society on the basis of tribe, and resist all efforts to divide our peoples based on tribe and other illegitimate considerations.

We are not as divided as our political coloration seems to suggest. We are greater than the sum of our individual ambitions. As citizens, let us understand that Gambia is not about what can be done for us. It is about what can be done by us together through hard work with a common purpose passion and dedication to uphold the values of our nation i.e respect for all tribes irrespective of their party affiliation.

Dated the 24rd day of October 2013.

UDP NRP PPP GMC

SOURCE: Gainako News

Edited by - kobo on 24 Oct 2013 19:49:38
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  22:15:34  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
quote:

That is true. What is also true is that not all roads leads to Rome. Halifa's road can only take you to Kaninlia as it has done in the past.

Thanks

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11516 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  22:24:14  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message

Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  23:15:55  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message

Only when that conscience is clear for such people don't resort to calling critics far rights or adventurists for they have nothing to fear about criticisms.

Thanks

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.

Edited by - Nyarikangbanna on 24 Oct 2013 23:26:44
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  23:20:13  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
quote:

1. INSINUATING OR SUGGESTIVE OF WHAT? PLEASE INFORM US YOUR "CONSCIENCE"

2. MAAFANTA WITH A GOOD PRINT AND NICE PRESENTATION;

3. Related Bantaba Gambian politics topic 'Sectionalist diatribes'

Edited by - kobo on 25 Oct 2013 02:00:13
Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
934 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  01:39:51  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message
Uncle Momodou, actually to set the record straight Gainako was contacted and informed of the Meeting that was already in progress. We responsibly reported that the meeting was taking place and that details of a joint press conference was in the works.

We must begin to see beyond our own horizon... If it is ok for others to forward stuff here, post on face book about the meeting why is it a concern for us to forward what is already reported on a paper?

Are you uncomfortable that PDOIS did not have enough time to digest and join such a meeting as usual? Wasn't this an emergency meeting that they were consulted to attend and as usual drag everything to a dead end? For the record and I wouldn't lose a sleep on what others think, I am non partisan and supports an opposition unity regardless of who the leader is...

It is becoming clearer by the day some of the bias my own uncle is leaning towards... I guess I won't be given a wife from this uncle of mind but Gambians are not going to let the same old slow it process hold Gambia back while our people continue to suffer...

From now on hold off folks no forwarding stuff here unless it makes foroyaa and GRTS???

Baldeh,
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Ghandi
Visit http://www.gainako.com for your daily news and politics
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12240 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  02:14:04  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

"From now on hold off folks no forwarding stuff here unless it makes foroyaa and GRTS??? "

Personally, I quite like The Point,they have sometimes come out with interesting articles.

Unless you are applying censorship to Bantaba in Cyberspace ?

Go to Top of Page

Dalton1

3485 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  02:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Dalton1's Homepage Send Dalton1 a Private Message
Kobo, thanks for sharing gainako links here as always. Happy belated eid.

Demba,

Your uncles (Momodou included) are getting defeated by the day.

The Uncle folks were invited but as humor will have it, you will have to write a formal letter and submit it with the Secretary general of PDOIS. Then, they will review it, analyse it, up and down...and God knows what after that. (LOL). Walahi, Gambia will be nice after this dictatorship is over it with.

Anyway, it is opinion. Momodou have his, you too does and others do. let it ring!!!

Best regards,
Yero

Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  02:47:17  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalton1

Kobo, thanks for sharing gainako links here as always. Happy belated eid.

Demba,

Your uncles (Momodou included) are getting defeated by the day.

The Uncle folks were invited but as humor will have it, you will have to write a formal letter and submit it with the Secretary general of PDOIS. Then, they will review it, analyse it, up and down...and God knows what after that. (LOL). Walahi, Gambia will be nice after this dictatorship is over it with.

Anyway, it is opinion. Momodou have his, you too does and others do. let it ring!!!

Best regards,
Yero

1. ON WHAT DO YOU MEAN "DEFEATED BY THE DAY"? I DID NOT GET YOUR POINT(S)

2. WHY THE EXCITEMENT FROM AN IMPROMPTU MEETING MOBILIZED BY ONE MAN GMC PARTY LEADER; PLAYING THE GALLERY? IS THIS HOW TO MOBILIZED A UNITED NATIONAL FRONT, IGNORING BOTH VIABLE G6 & RALEIGH STEERING COMMITTEE FOR PROSPECTIVE UNITED NATIONAL OPPOSITION FRONT IN THE MAKING AND IN SPIRIT OF SOLIDARITY THE COMMON GROUND FOR ALL POLITICAL PARTIES TO LIBERATE THE NATION

3. I AM ALL EARS DALTON 1 IF YOU HAVE MORE TO SHARE WITH US

Edited by - kobo on 25 Oct 2013 03:14:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06