Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 The arrest of DUGA DC Gambian Embassey protesters
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  02:13:28  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. Operation MBORR MBORR – Gambian Citizens took over Gambian Embassy in DC

October 10th 2013

Gambian citizens and members of DUGA this morning stormed the Gambian Embassy in Washington DC and chained themselves inside the embassy. Embassy staff went into hiding and the secret service and police were called. Upon arrival Gambian dissidents explained their mission and read their demands to the Gambian government.The protesters organized a command center from across the United States, provided a teleconference number for the media to cover the event live. This mission was well calculated and planned. According to the organizers they had extensively discussed about the risk and repercussions that they can expect from this protest.

The Gambian activists’s mission was to draw the attention of the administration in Banjul on their violations of the rights of Gambian citizens. They read a list of demands that would be transmitted to the general public in due course.

SOURCE: Gainako Online News

2. MORE ON LIST OF DEMANDS FROM KIBAARO ONLINE NEWS REPORT Invaders Create Pandemonium At Gambia Embassy

3. COURTESY OF FREEDOM ONLINE NEWS EDITORS DUGA DC GAMBIAN EMBASSY PROTESTERS ARRESTED BY THE POLICE!

SOURCE: Freedom online News report

4. DUGA DC PROTESTERS TAKEOVER GAMBIAN EMBASSY VIDEO!
SOURCE: Freedom Online News report

5. Three Gambian Political Activists Arrested By The US Secret Service For Taking Over Gambian Embassy Under Siege For Over An Hour - Diplomats Desert Embassy!

Edited by - kobo on 10 Oct 2013 10:24:48

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  04:03:15  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. IN SUPPORT OF DUGA-WASHINGTON DC PROTEST AT THE GAMBIAN EMBASSY

Movement for Democracy and Development

2153 Valentine AvenueP.O.Box 500Bronx, NY 10453
modegam2006@yahoo.com
October 9, 2013
IN SUPPORT OF DUGA-WASHINGTON DC PROTEST AT THE GAMBIAN EMBASSY
Duga-DC Comrades,

We are hereby write to show our support and solidarity to your protest at the Gambian Embassy in Washington DC. There is no doubt your action has further exposed The Gambians are totally frustrated over the corrupt and miserable state of affairs obtain under the APRC-led government which has been in power for over nineteen years. Your frustration is our frustration, which is understandable is seen against the backdrop of President Yahya Jammeh’s failure to fulfill any of his promises he made when he illegally over threw the PPP government on July 22, 1994. After nineteen years in power, nothing seems to be working in the country in terms of rule of law, democracy and human rights.

Duga and Movement for Democracy and Development (GMDD) and majority of Gambians obviously share the same believe that there should be a way forward so that the dignity of the people of the Gambia may once more be restored.

We say long live Duga-DC!
We say long live democracy!
We say Down with Dictator Yahya Jammeh!

SOURCE: Maafanta Online News Report

2. Donate to DUGA DC

Help DUGA pay the bills! Since DUGA's inception a year ago, we have held or attended eleven events. These events have been paid solely through monthly dues by members, t-shirt sales and a few donations.

In our quest to take back our country from the clutches of tyranny, we need the support of all Gambians who want to see a FREE GAMBIA. We solicit your support in the form of monetary donations and/or t-shirt purchases. 100% of funds collected will go towards funding future events and fighting dictatorship.

Stay tuned for more...DUGA IS JUST GETTING STARTED!

SOURCE: Gofundme Created by DUGA DC

Edited by - kobo on 10 Oct 2013 10:25:11
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  10:45:43  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. DUGA members Operation Mborr Mborr coordinators
Ousainou Mbenga, Sohna Sallah and Pa Samba Jow are free now and in high spirits.
Photo: From DUGA FB page

2. DUGA DC THREE PROTESTERS FREED AT LAST!!

The DUGA DC trios have been released on bail on their own self recognition, the Freedom Newspaper can report. Activist Ousainanou Mbenga, Pa Samba Jaw and Sohna Sallah were let go by a DC magistrate court without posting a formal bail. They were not required to deposit money or any sort of precondition for their release. The magistrate ruled that the accused persons were free to go home and she adjourned the case around month end.

This is the first time that such a case has been filed by the US legal system. The accused persons have been accused of unlawful entry into the Gambian Embassy in Washington DC. The protesters had taken the Embassy under siege for about an hour before the secret service effected their arrest.

In their next court appearance, the court will hear the prosecution’s own side of the story. Mbenga, Jaw and Sallah have denied breaking any laws. Their argument is premised on the fact that they are Gambian citizens and the property housing the Gambian Embassy belongs to the people of the Gambia. The magistrate is going to make a ruling as to whether the prosecution has a case against the accused persons.

Meanwhile, the release of Ous Mbenga, Pa Samba and Sohna have been greeted with a resounding welcome by the diasporan Gambian Community. A significant amount of money was raised for the legal defense.

SOURCE: Freedom Online News
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  05:22:32  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. DUGA - DC Doing It The American Way Courtesy of Sidi Sanneh

2. UGA Occupation – Gambia’s Defining Moment I’ll Call Sohna Sallah Gambia’s Rosa Park If …

This is a very unfamiliar territory for me for at least several years now. I’ve tried so hard, for so long, to refrain from engaging in politics, or even making political statements because of the nature of my job/business.

Once open a time, I was cautioned by a former First Secretary/Intelligence Attaché at The Gambian Embassy in Washington, DC, to refrain from politics because, in his words, “members of APRC also buy insurance from your company”.

The all-time basketball great, Michael Jordan, was once asked to endorse a Democratic candidate in North Carolina. His response: Republicans also buy shoes too. So, when I was advised by the former Embassy employee to refrain from politics, MJ’s cautious statement came to mind.

But, at this defining moment in the history of The Gambia, I must go against the advice of the former embassy staff and several others and write that I stand in solidarity with the Democratic Union of Gambian Activists(DUGA). I was in my office yesterday listening to the live broadcast of the so-called take-over of The Gambian Embassy in Washington, DC. I live in the Washington Metro Area. Thus, little wonder, did I know everyone in the group. Nevertheless, seeing them in hand-cuffs was a little emotional for me.

However, the person that stands out most to me is Ms Sohna Sallah. If this act of activism, regardless of the legality or otherwise of it, was in Banjul (I’m not diminishing it in Washington), I’ll call her The Gambia’s Rosa Parks. Ms Sallah has earned my respect and admiration. As far as Ous Mbenga and Coach Jow are concerned, I wouldn’t hesitate a little bit in entrusting them with The Gambia and her people. These two gentlemen can work with anyone regardless of their political/ethnic persuasion. In short, DUGA has earned my respect and support.

I hope and pray for a Gambia where the rule of law exists and where everyone will strive under his or her God- given potential

Long Live DUGA , Long Live The Gambia!

SOURCE: Courtesy of Kibaaro Online News Author: By Seedy S. Khan

Edited by - kobo on 12 Oct 2013 05:29:13
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2013 :  13:43:27  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Gambia Embassy attackers to appear in US court tomorrow

The three Gambian dissidents that were arrested last week by the United States secret service after they attempted to attack the Gambian Embassy in Washington DC will appear before a Superior DC court tomorrow, charged with unlawful entry into the embassy’s premises.

Information reaching the Daily Observer has it that the trio of Ousainou Mbenga, Pa Samba Jow and Sohna Sallah who entered the building through the embassy’s lobby, were granted bail by a DC Magistrate Court after spending more than a day in detention.

This latest unpatriotic incident by so-called Gambian dissidents came exactly two weeks after a similar action by few others based in New York.

It would be recalled that during the president’s last visit to the United States, where he was accompanied by a high ranking delegation, comprising of ministers and other senior government officials, to attend the 68th session of the UN general assembly, a group of unruly Gambian dissidents, gathered at the entrance of the Ritz Carlton Hotel in New York, where the delegation resided, and hurled all kinds of insults and foul language at members of the presidential delegation....

SOURCE: Pro-Government Daily Observer News Published: Monday, October 14, 2013
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2013 :  00:40:37  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Washington Judge Freed Gambian Embassy Occupiers

A Supreme Court Judge in Washington D.C. in the United States has freed the occupiers of the Gambia Embassy.

Judge Truman Morrison on Tuesday freed Ousainou Mbenga, Pa Samba Jow and Sohna Sallah after he had dismissed the illegal entry charge against them.

The three members of the Democratic Union of Gambian Activists (DUGA) were arraigned in court for occupying the Gambian Embassy in the nation’s capital on Wednesday.

In reading his verdict before a crowded open court, Judge Morrison ruled that the three activists have been empowered by the First Amendment, which gave them the right to protest at the Gambia Embassy. He said such a right will never be encroached upon by the courts.

Kibaaro News spoke to Pa Samba Jow shortly after he and his colleagues were freed. He thanked people for what he called “their overwhelming support throughout.”

Mr. Jow expressed their commitment to continue the fight to liberate the Gambia from the clutches of dictatorship. “We are confident that Gambian Judges will be as independent as Judge Morrison in their dispensation of justice.”

Pa Samba said both the occupation and the New York protest have succeeded in demystifying President Yahya Jammeh.

SOURCE: Kibaaro Online News Published: Tuesday, October 15, 2013

quote:
"The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference. See U.S. Const. amend. I. Freedom of expression consists of the rights to freedom of speech, press, assembly and to petition the government for a redress of grievances, and the implied rights of association and belief."" SOURCE

Edited by - kobo on 16 Oct 2013 01:14:57
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12240 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2013 :  12:21:47  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
The Gambian justice system, at the moment, appears to be going down the route as quoted above:

“We are confident that Gambian Judges will be as independent as Judge Morrison in their dispensation of justice.”

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2013 :  20:01:17  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by toubab1020

The Gambian justice system, at the moment, appears to be going down the route as quoted above:

“We are confident that Gambian Judges will be as independent as Judge Morrison in their dispensation of justice.”

Toubab 1020. Not as stated above! It is WISHFUL THINKING from one of trio released; for Gambian justice system to follow route of US justice system and Judges in Gambian courts "be as independent as Judge Morrison in their dispensation of justice"

Edited by - kobo on 16 Oct 2013 20:02:14
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  02:05:09  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
On Freedom Online Radio DUGA trio clarifying on DECISION TAKEN BY JUDGE that its a settlement out of court negotiated with Prosecution; on which they were compelled to SIGN AN AGREEMENT TO STAY AWAY FROM ANY PROTEST, PUBLIC DISORDER AND NUISANCE AT GAMBIA EMBASSY PREMISES WITHIN NEXT SIX MONTHS = BANNED AT EMBASSY PREMISES; (WHICH CAN BE CONSIDERED AND LOOK SIMILAR TO BOUND OVER TO KEEP THE PEACE AS DEFINED BELOW QUOTED)" binding in England and Wales and in other common law jurisdictions such as Hong Kong and Gambia as well respectively." However am not sure whether its the same legal term applicable in US courts or juridiction? Trio declared that Judge considered saving tax payers money; they were not tried (acquitted or discharge) but offered & accepted a formal agreement (between Prosecution and Defense) after it was thoroughly explained and very clear to them. Then advised not to break the law when protesting or involve in demonstrations, therefore it is safe to state order is not a conviction or admission of guilt for trio at this juncture! Trio said on Freedom radio that "JURISDICTION" came as an issue (IN CONSIDERATION OF CIVIL OR CRIMINAL CRIME ALLEGED TO HAVE BEEN COMMITTED BY TRIO VERSUS WHICH AGGRIEVED PARTY? LEGAL ISSUES BLURRED BETWEEN BREAKING US LAW AND/OR OFFENDING GAMBIA GOVERNMENT?) Ultimately Judge "DISMISS" THE CASE DECLARED IN FREEDOM ONLINE RADIO INTERVIEW"

BOUND OVER TO KEEP THE PEACE
"There's two different types. Where a court imposes a non-conviction bind-over this will not be considered to be a conviction for the purposes of filtering. However, a court may impose a bind-over having found a defendant guilty. In such circumstances this would amount to a conviction for the purposes of filtering. Absolute discharges are only imposed following a finding of guilt and therefore BOUND OVER TO KEEP THE PEACE can be disclosed (for CRIMINAL RECORD CHECKS)!"
; SOURCE: Unlock.Org.UK (An award-winning charity Unlock - for People with convictions)
quote:
"'Bound over to keep the peace' is power which is practised by magistrates and crowns to act as a measure of fast and efficient preventive justice. This order is not an illegal conviction." SOURCE: ASK JEEVES

quote:
"This may happen where the case involves violence or the threat of it. Sometimes the prosecution will drop such a charge if the defendant agrees to be bound over in this way. No conviction will be recorded if the matter is settled via a binding over order because the order is regarded as a civil matter.

Binding over is a precautionary measure to be adopted when there are reasonable grounds to anticipate some present or future danger. It is not a conviction or a punishment. It should not be used for an act which is past and which is not likely to be repeated. It should not be used as an alternative measure for dealing with cases in which the prosecution has insufficient evidence to substantiate a charge.

Applications to bind a person over may be made in a variety of circumstances: e.g. for minor assaults inside private premises where there are no truly independent witnesses; continuing domestic disputes; or for minor cases where it is obvious that both parties are at fault with no independent evidence to support either party's counter-allegation.

Although a binding over order is not a conviction, such order may be imposed following conviction and sentence for a criminal offence, in addition to any penalty applied. A refusal to accept the terms of the binding over order may be treated as a contempt of court"
SOURCE: Wikipedia

Edited by - kobo on 17 Oct 2013 09:08:18
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  16:00:23  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
The power to Bind Over is a power conferred on the courts (Crown and Magistrate Courts) by the Justices and the Peace Act 1361, to place a person(s) whose case is before them under a legal obligation to keep the peace.

While the police may issue cautions, they have no power to issue Bind Over orders in England and Wales or indeed any other commonwealth jurisdictions that has incorporated this into their body of laws. The power is exclusively for the courts to exercise. The police can only seek such orders from the courts and it may or may not be granted.

Thanks

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.

Edited by - Nyarikangbanna on 17 Oct 2013 16:09:54
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  16:40:47  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
iGoing by what the DUGA trio said on radio, it looks like the judge had spoken in a coded language to the prosecution. They reported that the judge highlighted a sacred provision of the United States constitution that guarantees the right to peaceful protest and to petition the government. The judge also alluded to , aaccording to the trio, the potential waste of tax payers money that is likely to result from a trial.

Two things can be deduced from this;

1. The judge was telling the prosecution ' you have no case and you will loose badly';
Or
2. The judge was saying 'although there may be a prima facie case to answer, but when put on a scale against the defendants' rights under the constitution and the need to protect the same, it would not be in the public interest for a prosecution to result from this.

Of course the police would not want to continue attending to regular disturbances at the Gambian Embassy, it therefore makes sense from a policing point of view, that the prosecution at that point, decided to look at the best available option to them and take advantage of it.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.

Edited by - Nyarikangbanna on 17 Oct 2013 17:12:19
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  02:11:10  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. UNDER COMMENTS INTERESTING COMMENTS NOTED (FROM OPINION BY Pa Alieu Pa Jagne) ON JUDGE'S DECISION AS REPORTED BY GAINAKO ONLINE NEWS ON;
DC judge “It is their right to protest against their government”

The judge showed high interest in the case as she was reported to have said that this was the first time they have had such a case. Initially the question of jurisdiction was raised and the judge decided to adjourn the case for further research and to give prosecutors more time to work on their file.

At today’s hearing judge Morrison wasted no time in declaring that the DUGA activists are protected by their first amendment rights under the United States Constitution and are therefore entitle to protest peacefully against their government on what they perceived as injustice and infringement on the rights of citizens. She dismissed the charges and added that the activists were free to protest in public space...SOURCE: Gainako Online News & Full report

2. INTERESTING OPINIONS ON New York Demo & Duga 3 By Dida Halake

Editor,
When I wrote a piece sometime ago, you endearingly commented that I “know your brother” – referring to President Jammeh as my “brother”. I would agree with you, as long as you limit the “brother” tag to the ideological level with regard to Colonialism, Pan-Africanism and African Independence. That said, I have lived long enough in the West to appreciate the value of freedom of expression, although I have to say that it does not mean much in the West and that is why we are allowed it! Real Freedom of Expression would overthrow governments and that is why it is banned – Wikileaks, Snowden, Deyda Hydara, Baba Galleh Jallow’s Independent, etc, etc.

So I must say firstly that those Washington DC Duga Demonstrators and the New York ones were heroic and should be given credit for following their “emotion” (Halifa Sallah). This should really read “passion” – because that is what all politics is about. My big question both in Washington (3) and in New York (12) was this: where were President Jammeh’s supporters? Why were they not guarding the Embassy (only against 3) and why they not guarding the hotel (only against 12). I simply want to remind you of the time here in London when Peter Tatchell and his Gay Gang tried a “citizen’s arrest” on President Mugabe 25 years ago. Mugabe’s security beat the hell out of them – and Peter Tatchell still suffers some mild brain damage from that beating. I think President Jammeh’s people would have been within their legal rights to ensure that the entrance to President Jammeh’s hotel and his convoy were safe – and they would have been within their legal rights to deal with any assailants. Ditto the Embassy. But Jammeh’s people were not there to defend both the hotel and the Embassy – except the lone Dr. Tangara......SOURCE: Maafanta.com online News & Read full report

Edited by - kobo on 18 Oct 2013 09:03:32
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  07:19:58  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nyarikangbanna

iGoing by what the DUGA trio said on radio, it looks like the judge had spoken in a coded language to the prosecution. They reported that the judge highlighted a sacred provision of the United States constitution that guarantees the right to peaceful protest and to petition the government. The judge also alluded to , aaccording to the trio, the potential waste of tax payers money that is likely to result from a trial.

Two things can be deduced from this;

1. The judge was telling the prosecution ' you have no case and you will loose badly';
Or
2. The judge was saying 'although there may be a prima facie case to answer, but when put on a scale against the defendants' rights under the constitution and the need to protect the same, it would not be in the public interest for a prosecution to result from this.

Of course the police would not want to continue attending to regular disturbances at the Gambian Embassy, it therefore makes sense from a policing point of view, that the prosecution at that point, decided to look at the best available option to them and take advantage of it.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks

COURTESY OF MAAFANTA.COM UNDER THIS ARTICLE BELOW, IT APPEARS ALL YOUR POINTS ADEQUATELY COVERED BY AUTHOR WHO I BELIEVE IS VERY CONVERSANT WITH UNITED STATES JURISDICTION FROM THIS ANALYSIS AND COMMENTARY;

Edited by - kobo on 19 Oct 2013 07:27:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06