Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Gambia's Oil Possibility Project
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  11:37:40  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
DAILY OBSERVER NEWS BANTABA WITH HIGH COMMISSIONER DEMBO BADJIE SHARING INTERESTING INFORMATION;

"Bt: Mr. Badjie, what can you remember as your most memorable achievement in the diplomatic service?

HC: My most memorable achievement in the diplomatic service is that since 1997 I think it was announced that the Gambia has oil possibility but since then no real movement yet in the exploration or exploitation of the resource until in 2009 – 2010 I was able to bring a Nigerian oil businessman to come and negotiate with the government to get a petroleum license to start onshore exploration.

That is Oranto Oil. I was the one who brought him to the Gambia on two occasions and I led the discussions and negotiations all the way until he came last year, November [2010] and signed an agreement with the government. So I think I can count that as one of my achievements in the diplomatic service.

Then the two companies that are working right now on offshore – Buried Hills and African Petroleum, I was the one who brought African Petroleum to The Gambia and I worked with the African Petroleum people and the Ministry of Petroleum all the way until they eventually signed the partnership with the Buried Hills in which they became the major shareholders and they are now engaged in petroleum exploration on two blocks offshore. Oranto was interested in onshore, but these ones are interested in offshore in the sea.

So Buried Hills were here and were given a license for four years and up to three years they could not accomplish anything until I brought African Petroleum to The Gambia. So when they [Buried Hills] realized the capacity that the people I brought have, they decided to agree on partnership with them and my people agreed but on condition that they will be the majority owner of the partnership.

So they agreed and they signed the agreement and now they are into partnership and are engaged in offshore petroleum exploration. I want Gambians to know that I brought Prince Arthur Azy of Oranto Petroleum who had been given a petroleum license to The Gambia."

SOURCE: Read More

Edited by - kobo on 20 Jan 2012 11:58:55

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  12:06:17  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Kobo,do you really think that if there was any chance of real oil discovery being made in the Gambia,LARGE well known companies would not be falling over themselves to get at it?
The fact that an unknown Nigerian prince (to me at least) has expressed an interest and never came back sums up my feelings on the article by the D.O.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  12:10:16  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Toubab 1020. No idea but refer above for;
quote:
"...now they are into partnership and are engaged in offshore petroleum exploration. "

Edited by - kobo on 20 Jan 2012 12:11:03
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  13:18:25  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
There have been discussions of oil prospect in The Gambia over the years on Gambia-L. I remember the discussion goes back to mid 1990s. Here are links to some articles I and others have posted on the subject in 2002:

The following is another posting from From Gambia-L Archives on Buried Hills:
----------quote--------
Gambia: Buried Hills Canada Comes Again

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:16:26 +0200

September 11, 2006
Posted to the web September 11, 2006

The Gambian President Yahya Jammeh has signed an agreement with a controversial Canadian company Buried Hills that give the company exploration rights to two blocks of supposed oil fields in the country on Friday 8th of September.

The company's owner and Chief Executive Roger Hills, accompanied by a former Canadian Prime Minister, Mr.Chretien, met Mr. Jammeh on his campaign trail at Basse to sign the said agreement. Mr. Fafa Sanyang, who last month succeeded Mr. Ousman Bojang as Petroleum Commissioner. Praised Mr. Jammeh for his "foresight and commitment to Gambian development Speaking on the occasion, Hon. Edward Singhateh, a Secretary of State in the Jammeh Government, said for three years people have believed that all the "oil thing" as hoax, but the signing of the agreement has proved President Jammeh right.

After the signing of an earlier agreement between the two parties in February this year, the Gambia Journal ran a series of articles exposing the Gambian leaders corrupt links with international crimes. The series carried an article that particularly exposed Mr. Roger Hills and his obscured Buried Hills company's dubious record of dirty deals in the international energy sector. The article also touched on Mr. Chrienten's use of his previous position as Canadian head of government to promote and support deals entered with foreign governments by a person with the reputation of Mr. Hill's.
Recently the former Canadian leader accompanied Roger hills to cut a deal that caused a major diplomatic uproar between Canada and an East European country. The deal was on oil fields which were the cause of unsettled disputed between two former Soviet states.

Mr. Hill himself had been quoted as saying that he had told President Yahya Jannmmeh before that oil in the country were of no commercial and viable quantities. President Jammeh promised Gambians that oil production was to start "latest December 2004/" But, as many suspected no production started.
No word was then heard of the oil till in February 2006 when official news reported the signing of contract between the Gambia Government, represented by President Jammeh and Roger Hills, representing the Buried Hills Energy company. The company had since its inception been classified that to the shadier side of Canada's corporate energy community. Buried Hill's questionable reputation is known as far as Norway.

Some observers fear that deal between President Jammeh aims at only cashing on the mere rumors of Gambian oil. They think the two hope to raise funding whose possibility would be facilitated by the rumors but whose ultimate destination would be diverted. The former Canadian leader was the object of fiery criticism for accompanying Mr. Hills to meet with the intolerant head of a pariah East European state. The other aggrieved state's government had threatened to cut of diplomatic relations with Canada.
---------------end quote------------

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  20:47:31  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Ah...... Yes its politics %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% again..........talk..............talk...................talk''''''''''''''''''''talk;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;talk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,talk////////////////////////////talk.......................Opps, No, I didn't actually say that.................. and on and on ............until...................?
Ah...... Yes its politics %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% again..........talk..............talk...................talk''''''''''''''''''''talk;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;talk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,talk////////////////////////////talk.......................Opps, No, I didn't actually say that.................. and on and on ............until...................?

http://albionheart.tripod.com/id28.html

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 20 Jan 2012 21:07:04
Go to Top of Page

Karamba

United Kingdom
3820 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  20:57:04  Show Profile Send Karamba a Private Message

Ohhhhhhhhhh! Dembo is blowing hot air. All is nothing but false hope.

Karamba
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  21:10:03  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Well if hot air comes from Gas (natural gas from underground, not petrol as in US ) then that would be useful and it's worth loads and loads of MONEY

Go to Top of Page

Karamba

United Kingdom
3820 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2012 :  22:07:38  Show Profile Send Karamba a Private Message

You make me laugh out loud. Sycophants are people of grand scheming.

Karamba
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  12:20:50  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
DAILY OBSERVER NATIONAL NEWS;

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  15:22:35  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

NOT China though KOBO but Nigeria

quote:
Originally posted by kobo

DAILY OBSERVER NATIONAL NEWS;

Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  15:44:05  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
... that they will possibly invest in the country’s petroleum sector...

... I am going to give them the idea of what I saw here,” . ...

Indimi,...the Gambian leader as very humble, very nice, and has no bureaucracy. “That is why I think this is the place to be,” ....

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2012 :  16:22:53  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

Not surely

quote:
Originally posted by Janko

... that they will possibly invest in the country’s petroleum sector...

... I am going to give them the idea of what I saw here,” . ...

Indimi,...the Gambian leader as very humble, very nice, and has no bureaucracy. “That is why I think this is the place to be,” ....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06