Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Health and Nutrition Forum
 Health and Nutrition
 'Plastic rice' seized in Nigeria
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
8384 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2016 :  10:44:35  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BBC Online: 21 December 2016

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38391998

Nigeria has confiscated 2.5 tonnes of "plastic rice" smuggled into the country by unscrupulous businessmen, the customs service says.

Lagos customs chief Haruna Mamudu said the fake rice was intended to be sold in markets during the festive season.

He said the rice was very sticky after it was boiled and "only God knows what would have happened" if people ate it.

It is not clear where the seized sacks came from but rice made from plastic pellets was found in China last year.

Rice is the most popular staple food in Nigeria.

The BBC's Peter Okwoche says it is the only foodstuff that crosses cultural and ethnic lines across the country.

No ordinary rice: Martin Patience, BBC News, Lagos

Whoever made this fake rice did an exceptionally good job - on first impression it would have fooled me. When I ran the grains through my fingers nothing felt out of the ordinary.

But when I smelt a handful of the "rice" there was a faint chemical odour. Customs officials say when they cooked up the rice it was too sticky - and it was then abundantly clear this was no ordinary batch.

They've sent a sample to the laboratories to determine exactly what the "rice" is made of.

They are also warning the public not to consume the mystery foodstuff as it could be dangerous.

Fake food scandals are thankfully rare in Nigeria when you compare it to countries such as China.

The big scandal here is fake pharmaceutical drugs that kill a huge number of people every year.

Investigations are under way to establish how much of the contraband has already been sold.

The customs official called on "economic saboteurs who see yuletide season as a peak period for their nefarious acts to desist from such illegal" business activity.

Mr Mamudu did not explain how the plastic rice was made but said it had been branded as "Best Tomato Rice". .........................

More at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38391998

A clear concience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

Momodou

Denmark
8384 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2016 :  12:20:18  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nigeria denies 'plastic rice' reports

BBC Online

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38414337

Nigeria's government has denied reports that "plastic rice" was being sold in the country, days after the customs service said 2.5 tonnes of the contraband had been confiscated.

Health Minister Isaac Adewole tweeted that tests by the food safety agency found "no evidence" of plastic material.

Lagos customs chief Haruna Mamudu said on Wednesday the fake rice was intended to be sold during the festive season.

Rice is Nigeria's staple food.

Mr Mamudu has not commented on the health minister's statement.

It is not clear where the seized sacks came from but rice made from plastic pellets was found in China last year.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38414337

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

8950 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2016 :  00:10:09  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The customs official called on "economic saboteurs who see yuletide season as a peak period for their nefarious acts to desist from such illegal" business activity.

If this plastic rice exists,then those who have ANYTHING to do with its sale, import should be traced and be subjected to the full force of Nigerian law,and if found guilty after trial incarcerated.It is unfortunate that politics raised its head and confused the whole matter !!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Momodou

BBC Online: 21 December 2016

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38391998

Nigeria has confiscated 2.5 tonnes of "plastic rice" smuggled into the country by unscrupulous businessmen, the customs service says.

Lagos customs chief Haruna Mamudu said the fake rice was intended to be sold in markets during the festive season.

He said the rice was very sticky after it was boiled and "only God knows what would have happened" if people ate it.

Rice is the most popular staple food in Nigeria.

The BBC's Peter Okwoche says it is the only foodstuff that crosses cultural and ethnic lines across the country.

No ordinary rice: Martin Patience, BBC News, Lagos

Whoever made this fake rice did an exceptionally good job - on first impression it would have fooled me. When I ran the grains through my fingers nothing felt out of the ordinary.

But when I smelt a handful of the "rice" there was a faint chemical odour. Customs officials say when they cooked up the rice it was too sticky - and it was then abundantly clear this was no ordinary batch.

They've sent a sample to the laboratories to determine exactly what the "rice" is made of.

They are also warning the public not to consume the mystery foodstuff as it could be dangerous.

Fake food scandals are thankfully rare in Nigeria when you compare it to countries such as China.

The big scandal here is fake pharmaceutical drugs that kill a huge number of people every year.

Investigations are under way to establish how much of the contraband has already been sold.

Mr Mamudu did not explain how the plastic rice was made but said it had been branded as "Best Tomato Rice". .........................

More at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38391998

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
8384 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  15:03:30  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nigeria rice 'contaminated, not plastic' - NAFDAC

BBC Online: 30th December 2016

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38467242

Lab tests on a consignment of rice seized by Nigerian customs officials show that the product is "contaminated" but not plastic, the National Agency For Food and Drugs (Nafdac) says.

The rice contained bacteria "above permissible limits", a senior Nafdac official said.

Customs officials' claims that the rice seized in Lagos last week was "plastic" sparked confusion and official denials.

The health minister intervened, saying there was "no evidence" for the claims.

Tests on samples of the rice showed that it was "unwholesome for human consumption", exceeding the maximum limit for bacteria including "Coli form", Nafdac said in a statement.

The Nigerian customs service, speaking at the same press conference, said that it had acted on "credible intelligence" that "large consignments of plasticized rice were.... to be shipped from the Far East to Africa".

Regardless of the outcome of the lab tests, intelligence still indicated that "several metric tonnes of expired and dangerous rice are still lying in wait at warehouses in neighbouring countries", with the Nigerian market the ultimate destination, customs chief Ibrahim Ali told media.

Rice is Nigeria's staple food and it is a tradition for people to give bags of rice as a gift during the Christmas period.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

8950 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2016 :  20:01:45  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well now, it's official this is rice laden with bacteria,and not plastic far east made imitation rice,fine.HOW DID THE RICE BECOME infected ? I think the answer is HUMAN GREED bulk sellers of rice stockpiling it.

The customs Chief is not an analyst of foodstuffs,he is still of the opinion that......."large consignments of plasticized rice were.... to be shipped from the Far East to Africa".

AND:
"Regardless of the outcome of the lab tests, intelligence still indicated that "several metric tonnes of expired and dangerous rice are still lying in wait at warehouses in neighbouring countries", with the Nigerian market the ultimate destination, customs chief Ibrahim Ali told media.

Rice is Nigeria's staple food and it is a tradition for people to give bags of rice as a gift during the Christmas period."

I think that exposure of this story as soon as suspicion was aroused MAYBE saved lives,That can only be a good thing.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

maliba

2 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2017 :  14:42:39  Show Profile  Visit maliba's Homepage Send maliba a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my God, what kind of people does that?! It's beyond my thinking processes...

To want to, is to be able to.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2017 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06