Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 Letter to the MD, Gambia Ports Authority
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  22:59:56  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
During my many trips on this route I have been fully aware of the lack of maintainence,which has not been carried out ,LUBRICATION of the steel cables with grease or heavy thick oil,the Hinge pivots of the ramp are probably in the same state.the STEEL landing stages are constantly buffered by a salt water environment,and consequently RUST and must be painted regually."......because the ramp was stiff and could not be lowered by itself ..."unless helped by a heavy-loaded truck."

The letter writes concerning and challenging the management of GPA the writer has a valid point, BUT,it is unbelievable that there is not a crew of men ,or women ,tasked with daily maintence ensuring efficient safe working of the structures,one must pose the question are these workers responsible for past and future mishaps that have occoured and WILL occour in the future.?
====================================================
September 16, 2019

Dear sir,

With much worry and concern, I write to draw your attention to the precarious state of both Banjul and Barra ferry terminals.

These two ferry anchoring points are aging and wretched and can potentially cause what I referred to as human induced calamity.

As a native of Nuimi, I am alive to a number of terminal accidents, as well as the unwarrantedly costly delays necessitated mostly by the inability of the ferry to anchor, because the ramp was stiff and could not be lowered by itself unless helped by a heavy-loaded truck.

More often than not these these accidents are fatal.

So many and property have been perished at these terminals due to sheer negligence.

And what is so disheartening is that most of those incidents could have been averted, had proper managerial actions were taken.

For how long should our people loss their lives and property in what could obviously be avoided?

In this letter, I challenge you and your management to conduct a site tour on these two anchoring points and you will be taken aback.

You will find out that all the metal supporting ferry anchoring are adversely corroded and eroded and some once upright metals fallen.

The two iron robes connected to the two big rectangular metal boxes of either side keeping the ramp balanced seem rusted and weakened.

Cement blocks are now placed on top of these rectangular metal boxes as a form of support. Very worrying situation at sight!

We ( Nuiminkas and all other users) need a permanent solution to this increaseingly looming problem.

Maintenance, in my view, is no longer the solution. These terminals need replacement, considering the years they have served. Our lives are co

stlier and more precious than some police stations. Invest in the terminals to save our lives and keep the revenue generation continual for The Gambia.

As of Wednesday 11th to Saturday 14th September, 2019, there had been only one ferry plying.

In fact, I was told by a regular distraught passenger that this is the situation they have been enduring and barely a month will go by when Kanilai ferry is not grounded for service.

“We are suffering nowadays, especially some of us whose livelihoods depend on the ferry,” she sobbed.

It is apparent that Banjul-Barra is the biggest and busiest crossing point in the country. One reason underpinning this claim is the commercial benefits my people reap, especially the women folk.

They ply the ferry on a quotation basis to sell their products in Banjul major market to be able to support their families.

What can you or the government of The Gambia do about the plight of my people? The suffering of our people, particularly the downtrodden has exceedingly gone beyond patience.

As we decry the status quo at the terminals, we respectfully ask the government of The Gambia through your office to purchase a new ferry to complement the Kunta Kinteh and as well, boost the economic base of my people, while at the same time continually generate revenue for the state.

Provision of additional ferry will, as a matter of fact, elongate the expected life-span of Kunta Kinteh ferry.

We do hope that the sound and tone of the beating drum of our concern will goad you into action; an action of positive change.

While we anticipate that change, I have generously given you a caveat and precautionary step to take. We are disadvantaged and do not want to be victims of your making circumstances in any way.

Yankuba Manneh
Essau
https://standard.gm/letter-to-the-md-gambia-ports-authority/

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 17 Sep 2019 23:05:53

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  12:45:19  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message

quote:
Originally posted by toubab1020

During my many trips on this route I have been fully aware of the lack of maintainence,which has not been carried out ,LUBRICATION of the steel cables with grease or heavy thick oil,the Hinge pivots of the ramp are probably in the same state.the STEEL landing stages are constantly buffered by a salt water environment,and consequently RUST and must be painted regually."......because the ramp was stiff and could not be lowered by itself ..."unless helped by a heavy-loaded truck."

The letter writes concerning and challenging the management of GPA the writer has a valid point, BUT,it is unbelievable that there is not a crew of men ,or women ,tasked with daily maintence ensuring efficient safe working of the structures,one must pose the question are these workers responsible for past and future mishaps that have occoured and WILL occour in the future.?
====================================================
September 16, 2019

Dear sir,

With much worry and concern, I write to draw your attention to the precarious state of both Banjul and Barra ferry terminals.

These two ferry anchoring points are aging and wretched and can potentially cause what I referred to as human induced calamity.

As a native of Nuimi, I am alive to a number of terminal accidents, as well as the unwarrantedly costly delays necessitated mostly by the inability of the ferry to anchor, because the ramp was stiff and could not be lowered by itself unless helped by a heavy-loaded truck.

More often than not these these accidents are fatal.

So many and property have been perished at these terminals due to sheer negligence.

And what is so disheartening is that most of those incidents could have been averted, had proper managerial actions were taken.

For how long should our people loss their lives and property in what could obviously be avoided?

In this letter, I challenge you and your management to conduct a site tour on these two anchoring points and you will be taken aback.

You will find out that all the metal supporting ferry anchoring are adversely corroded and eroded and some once upright metals fallen.

The two iron robes connected to the two big rectangular metal boxes of either side keeping the ramp balanced seem rusted and weakened.

Cement blocks are now placed on top of these rectangular metal boxes as a form of support. Very worrying situation at sight!

We ( Nuiminkas and all other users) need a permanent solution to this increaseingly looming problem.

Maintenance, in my view, is no longer the solution. These terminals need replacement, considering the years they have served. Our lives are co

stlier and more precious than some police stations. Invest in the terminals to save our lives and keep the revenue generation continual for The Gambia.

As of Wednesday 11th to Saturday 14th September, 2019, there had been only one ferry plying.

In fact, I was told by a regular distraught passenger that this is the situation they have been enduring and barely a month will go by when Kanilai ferry is not grounded for service.

“We are suffering nowadays, especially some of us whose livelihoods depend on the ferry,” she sobbed.

It is apparent that Banjul-Barra is the biggest and busiest crossing point in the country. One reason underpinning this claim is the commercial benefits my people reap, especially the women folk.

They ply the ferry on a quotation basis to sell their products in Banjul major market to be able to support their families.

What can you or the government of The Gambia do about the plight of my people? The suffering of our people, particularly the downtrodden has exceedingly gone beyond patience.

As we decry the status quo at the terminals, we respectfully ask the government of The Gambia through your office to purchase a new ferry to complement the Kunta Kinteh and as well, boost the economic base of my people, while at the same time continually generate revenue for the state.

Provision of additional ferry will, as a matter of fact, elongate the expected life-span of Kunta Kinteh ferry.

We do hope that the sound and tone of the beating drum of our concern will goad you into action; an action of positive change.

While we anticipate that change, I have generously given you a caveat and precautionary step to take. We are disadvantaged and do not want to be victims of your making circumstances in any way.

Yankuba Manneh
Essau
https://standard.gm/letter-to-the-md-gambia-ports-authority/

bro, I doubt if the present government and those responsible at the ports authority care about these things. Its only what is there for them personally. Hope the Gambians make a positive change the next time they vote for a new government.
I was in the gambia for 6 months but saw only problems that should be delt with.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  18:51:06  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
QUOTE from the above post by Alhassan.
"bro, I doubt if the present government and those responsible at the ports authority care about these things. Its only what is there for them personally. Hope the Gambians make a positive change the next time they vote for a new government.
I was in the gambia for 6 months but saw only problems that should be delt with."

Please note my signature on most of my posts >"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Being a simple soul that about sums up my feelings .

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 24 Sep 2019 18:52:17
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2020 :  17:05:44  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Lovely Lovely words,I note that the MD has the assistance of ...."an international consultancy firm based in the Netherlands. The new master plan, also identifies all the infrastructural improvement needs of the port." such a company has VAST experience in matters marine as that country is a leader in matters associated with the sea and ports.
Ousman Jobarteh also stressed the importance of "the need to shift to immediate digitalization that is the computerization of the ports operations."

It MUST BE NOTED that SECURUTY of computerised material is only available to a SELECTED FEW named people in order to deter THEFTS that are always a high risk where BIG VALUE is concerned.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Friday, January 3, 2020

The managing director of The Gambia Ports Authority has spoke highly of the authority’s 20 year new articulated master plan, saying with the new political dispensation, the future of GPA looks bright.

Ousman Jobarteh was speaking during a recent interview with reporters at his office in Banjul about the authority’s long term strategy plans, achievement, and challenges over the years.

However, the new master plan, which 2019-2038, was developed by an international consultancy firm based in the Netherlands. The new master plan, also identifies all the infrastructural improvement needs of the port.

The primary recommendation of the consultancy, he said, is the need to extend the ship accommodation at the port.

Jobarteh recalled that the initiative started in 2002 and was updated in 2008.

‘‘But over the years water has passed over the bridge in term of the component,’’ he added.

The port, he added, has new challenges and that some of the component were identified and other are already been achieved while some have already phased out or irrelevant.

‘‘Currently, GPA has new challenges in the growth businesses. And this has warranted the port to come up with this master plan’’.

He continued; ‘‘As economic operator our aim is to ensure efficiency and improvement in cargo handling, so that we can contribute meaningfully to the economic development of the country’’.

Mr Jobarteh however, observed that with rapid growth in terms of the volume of businesses at the port in the last 7years has been overwhelming, saying all this development is due to confidence in the domestic investment climate and new political dispensation that is given businesses and cargo receivers more confidence to do business in the country.

‘‘The volume keep on increasing and these very strong and real indicators is in line with the projector in the national development that is produced by the Ministry of Finance’’.

He thus expressed appreciation with this increased in the volume of businesses at the ports, noting that as an economic operator, GPA’s inputs have a bearing on the socio-economic development of the country.

GPA MD disclosed that plans are underway to expand the land, demolish structure so as to create more space for container storage around Half Die area in Banjul.

To this end, he calls for the need to shift to immediate digitalization that is the computerization of the ports operations.

He noted that the volume that the port is handling calls for IT Solution as the port is handling containers in the excess of 130,000 boxes per annum.

‘‘Therefore, computerization would greatly help in information handling and processing. There is an institutional arrangement of human resources production improvement measures which are all articulated in the new master plan”.

Regarding its short term plans, Mr Jobarteh maintained that GPA have a five years business plan that is set to rollout projects that would immediately addressed the port challenges and in the longer term for sustained growth and improvement of infrastructural development.

The assets of the Ports, he added, are based on the human capital; which he described, as one of the most important components at the port.

“GPA belongs to the country and so our objective is to contribute more meaningfully toward the socio-economic development of The Gambia. 80 percent of the international trade of the country passed through the port. Secondly the developments that are we witnessing at the port have been unprecedented in terms of the growth and the indicators are strong and real. We need to harness that potential for it to serve not only The Gambia, but the sub region”.
Author: Abdoulie Nyockeh

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/special-report-gpa-roll-outs-20-years-master-plan

Edited by - toubab1020 on 04 Jan 2020 17:07:09
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2020 :  17:14:08  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Please note the quote from that Great American at the bottom of this article.
The future will be bright for certain if ACTION is taken by the GPA as outlined in the last two articles.
====================================================================
Friday, January 3, 2020

The Gambia Ports Authority is a government agency responsible for the governance and maintenance of the ports facilities of The Gambia. It is being reported in the news in today’s edition that the authority has roll-out a new 20 year master plan. With this new master plan couple with current political dispensation, the future looks bright for the GPA.

What is more encouraging is that the new master plan spells out all the infrastructural improvement needs of the port as well as key priority areas.

It is an undisputable fact that maritime shipping is the lifeblood of Africa, with over 90% of the continent’s imports and exports transported by sea.

But despite significant opportunities, Africa still makes up just a small percentage of global trade, with problems persisting at its ports from capacity issues to inefficient handling time, poor security and in some places, corruption.

However, as economic operator, GPA remains steadfast in its operation, thus ensuring efficiency and improvement in cargo handling to contribute meaningfully to the economic development of the country.

Therefore, the coming of this new master plan would significantly enhance service delivery and reposition the ports of Banjul as a hub for the sub-region.

With rapid growth in terms of the volume of businesses at the port in the last seven years has been overwhelming. And this in no small measure has contributed greatly to the overall expansion currently taking shape at the GPA.

It is true that the potential of Africa’s shipping sector is vast, but the continent runs the risk of sacrificing growth by not investing in sufficient port terminal infrastructure. However, with the new development taking shape at the ports such as digitalization and computerisation would greatly help not only in information handling and processing, but to the tandem with other seaports.

Human resources development is are in any viable institution. And the inclusion in the new 20- year Master Plan of institutional arrangement of human resources production and improvement measures is just great.

So we commend GPA for coming with such a brilliant move, the overall objective of which is to contribute to the socio-economic development of The Gambia.

“Well done is better than well said.”

Benjamin Franklin

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/well-done-gpa-on-your-new-master-plan

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2020 :  23:59:54  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

https://standard.gm/lack-of-efficiency/

By Aisha Jallow on December 4, 2020

When will the situation in The Gambia change for the better? Will there ever be any efficiency that could lead the country to progress? Are you so used to the mess so you just don’t care anymore? Other African countries have been able to build up a society where you have good roads, affordable healthcare, good schools and so on, but The Gambia is so deep down at the bottom. Are you okay with this? Are you okay with the thought that our current government hasn’t done almost anything to improve your living conditions?

Are you willing to praise President Barrow for his lack of achievements, just because he is the president and some of you even believe that it is God who has placed him in that position? God doesn’t work that way, he doesn’t pull our strings and we go where he has decided to drag us. None of us can order anything from our wish list, God is not Santa Claus. President Barrow is a human being, as all of us, and he does his best to benefit from his current situation.

At the end of 2021 the situation will change, God willing, and we will have a new president in The Gambia. We need an educated person in the post, someone with visions for his country and who is willing to sacrifice his own comfort for his people. The situation of the country was different in December 2016, it was more of what I used to call an “oh, s**t experience”.

This is when something unexpected happens and you weren’t prepared for it.

The president wasn’t prepared to take over the most important position of the country, the people around him seem more focused on “what’s in it for me” instead of “what can we do for our country”. Am I naive to expect leading politicians to have a vision for their country? Perhaps I am, but that is what it should be about. Politics is dirty, many people say. Yes, it can be dirty, but it is not the politics, it is the politicians who change the rules to benefit themselves.

If we give up demanding change, our leaders will keep on scratching each other’s backs while they smile satisfied. The thought of a full bank account, a nice car, a house or two can put a happy smile on anyone’s face. The problem is that not everyone is anyone in The Gambia. Only someone has the fortune to be able to eat from the government food pots. Those who belong to that lucky crowd make sure to stuff themselves as much as possible. They never know when the sources will end, so it’s better to use any opportunity that comes in their way.

Nothing is efficient in The Gambia! Everything takes long time, sometimes it feels like it will take forever. Are you okay with that, or have you given up because you feel that you can’t be a part of that change we all so well need? Open your eyes and look around in the world. Nowadays you don’t need to travel around to see how people live in other countries. You can google one country per week, read about that and learn a lot. Everything you read gives you knowledge, even the things you dislike. Instead of automatically rejecting something you disapprove with, read about that, consider it for a while and use that new knowledge by learning how you DON’T want things to be.

The lack of efficiency is not only irritating, it can also be dangerous. The night between Monday and Tuesday this week one of the ferries going between Banjul and Barra broke down completely. This happened late in the evening and assistance didn’t come until the middle of the night. Considering that the ferries haven’t been going for a month, there are a lot of people and goods that need to cross the river. The ramp was supposed to be mended and the ferries were supposed to be maintained. How come only a few weeks after the ferry traffic had begun again, one of the ferries broke down?

What kind of maintenance was done? Was it made by blind people without any expertise in the area? The same old, dirty ferries, going slower than a dead snail, are supposed to transport people and goods across the river. They are supposed to be a safe way to travel, but the night between Monday and Tuesday this week became a nightmare! The ferry went slower than normal, only one of the four engines was working. Suddenly the ferry stopped, in the middle of the river. The staff tried to start the engines, but it wasn’t possible. The passengers became worried, the more time this took, but no one informed them about anything.

This is not how a professional ferry company is supposed to work. First of all: all ferries must get maintenance regularly. Second: if something happens there must be a proper procedure for how to deal with the problem and what to tell the passengers to ease their worries. Third: there must be procedures for how to get aid and how to move passengers from one ferry to another in the safest way possible. The staff working on the ferries must be properly trained, and only calm and level headed people should be allowed to work on these. There are personality test that can be used to pick out the proper people, these are used in railway companies and also airway companies for example.

Thank God that no one was injured or even worse, dead, when the poor passengers were forced to enter another ferry – while still out in open water. The passengers were exhausted after a long wait for aid. They were hungry and thirsty, irritated because of being tired and most of all – the lack of efficiency. It’s like no one’s life is worth anything in The Gambia. The time we are wasting because of poor maintenance on our logistic system, roads and ferries, means nothing for those who actually have the power to do something about it. So where does the money go? All the money that was budgeted for the ferries and the ramp – where did they go?

What about our roads? There is money in the budget for those too, but the pockets seem to have many holes. Those who are able to benefit from the money that is budgeted for the people of The Gambia, have their pockets lined with another layer of fabric. The money get received for their supposed work runs through the holes in their pockets to their secret hiding places.

As long as we allow corruption to destroy our society, there is no way to turn The Gambia to a prosperous country. The only ones who are prosperous are those who know how to use the system and milk it.

Lorries loaded with goods were stuck on the ferry the other night. Companies waiting for spare parts or items to sell were waiting in vain. Is this how it should be, because it has always been like that? If you wish The Gambia to get a better future, you must work for it. Don’t wait for someone else to do things for you, do it yourself! If this ferry breakdown would have happened in France, there would have been several demonstrations where people demand change. The press would have been writing about it and the politicians would have been debating on TV and online. What happens in The Gambia? How long are you okay with the country going backward? It’s time to make a change! Get active in politics and wash it clean!

Edited by - toubab1020 on 08 Dec 2020 00:06:57
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2020 :  00:26:41  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

The Port of Banjul is VITAL to GAMBIA there is no doubt in anybodys' mind that ths is an undeniable fact and should be treated as such, it is a large employeer of labour and associated professionals that are required to manage and run such a great asset to the developing nation that is to be born in THE NEW GAMBIA of the not too distant future.It appears that an investigation by a suitibaly qualified official with real power to investigate why the very clear inefficiances are taking place and how they can be eridicated at a stroke .

++++++++++

https://foroyaa.net/transport-union-frowns-at-governments-decision-to-revoke-agreement/

By Ndey Sowe on December 7, 2020

Gambia Transport Union (GTU) has expressed their disappointments with the Gambia Government for halting the queuing system agreement for trucks at the Ports in Banjul.

This development came on Monday, 7th December, 2020, when truck divers converged to protest at the Gambia Ports Authority (GPA) demanding Government to explain the reason behind aborting the queuing system agreement at the aforesaid Port.

Omar Ceesay, President of Gambia Transport Union (GTU) said they have an issue regarding the queuing system at the Gambia Ports Authority (GPA) for domestic containers. He said they discussed with the Transport Ministry, Gambia Revenue Authority (GRA) and Ministry of Trade and agreed on the introduction of a queuing system at the Port.

“We are very disappointed with what happened here today and we did not expect it but it is already done. We raise the concern to government through the Ministry of Transport, we agreed and they came up with guidelines which were to be implemented on the 3rd December 2020, but the Clearing Agents refused. Today we came and met the PIU Officers and they said they revoke everything,” he explained.

Ceesay said they came out to protest to make sure a solution is reached. He said they approached the PIU Officers and told them that they want to know what change their agreement and they told them that everything has been revoked. He said many people are working in the informal sector, feeding their families, without government knowing them.

“If you want to victimize those people, it will be a big cycle as far as the Gambia ‘we want’ is concerned’. We therefore want to know the motive behind it and why they made such changes. Some of the drivers were arrested and now we are liaising with our lawyer so that we can intervene,” he said.

Ceesay urged every sector to do their work accordingly, while telling the government to employ progressive means in the discharge of its duties.

Malick Ngum, Secretary General of Gambia Transport Union (GPU), explained they wrote a letter to the Ministry of Transport requesting for a queuing system to be introduced at the port for trucks.
Omar Ceesay, GTU president

Thus, the Ministry of Transport and GPA called for a stakeholders’ meeting where they all agreed to have a queuing system because it will ease up the traffic at the port and there will be no accidents, he added.

“If there is no queuing system, there will be service for only those who have connection, and if you don’t have connection, you will not have service,” he said.

Mr. Ngum revealed that during the meeting, they agreed to implement it as a government policy and the GPA said on the 3rd December, 2020, the queuing system would commence.

Unfortunately, he said before the date, the clearing agents stood up and said the system will not be introduced.

He further revealed that the GPA called GTU for a meeting on the 2nd December, 2020, where they were told not to commence the queuing system on 3rd December until in two weeks’ time.

Momodou Lamin Sanyang, the Spokesperson of Gambia Ports Authority, told this reporter that the Government, represented by the Ministry of Transport, Works and Infrastructure and the Ministry of Trade, Industry, Regional Integration and Employment, wishes to inform the business community, Association of Clearing and Forwarding Agents and General Transport Union that the proposed ‘Queuing System’ has been suspended until further notice.

“Therefore the status quo in granting access to delivery trucks entering the Port will be maintained until a comprehensive review is conducted, taking into account the view of all stakeholders with the objective of enhancing efficiency in this important segment,” he said.

GPA Spokesperson said the aforesaid ministries solicit the understanding and cooperation of all parties, whilst every effort is being made to ensure efficient delivery of Port services.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06