Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Bob Keďta Foundation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12240 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2023 :  12:40:39  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

==========
https://standard.gm/bob-keita-foundation-pays-for-release-of-16-prisoners/
==========

By Aminata Kuyateh & Fatou Saho on June 16, 2023

The Bob Keita Foundation has facilitated the release of 16 prisoners from Mile 2 prisons by settling their fines.

Speaking at the release ceremony at the prison yesterday, Mr Keďta himself a former prisoner, explained: “During my detention, I came across prisoners serving three to six years because they failed to pay fines of D10,000 or D25,000. I felt so sorry for that given the undesirable condition of the prison,” he said.
So after his acquittal and discharge, he established a foundation to support the inmates.

“Last Friday, the foundation organised a fundraising event and the funds realised were used to free these inmates,” he reported.

He thanked GACH Global, GRA, GPA and others for backing his initiative.

Fifteen male and one female inmates were released.

One of the released prisoners, Frank Gibson, expressed his delight and gratitude to the foundation for facilitating his release.

“I was charged with theft and fined D3,500 but I could not pay and because of that I was brought to Mile 2 to serve six months. I have already spent three months,” he said.

The foundation has been supporting inmates with medications, foodstuffs, eye care services and the professional development of nurses and medical personnel in the prison.

Manding Saidykhan, principal secretary at the Ministry for the Interior, lauded the work of the foundation and said since he was freed from wrongful imprisonment, Mr Keďta has been looking after the welfare of the inmates.

toubab1020

12240 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2023 :  17:57:35  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

==========

https://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/national-news/bob-keita-foundation-frees-16-inmates
==========

#National News
Bob Keita Foundation frees 16 inmates

Jun 21, 2023, 1:54 PM | Article By: Battor Ceesay

Bob Keita Foundation, a charity organisation in partnership with others last Thursday secured the release of 16 inmates at the State Central Prison in Mile 11 by paying their prison fines.

Established by Babucarr Keita following his release from prison, the foundation earlier on raised fund to be able to help release some prisoners, who were convicted for minor crimes and couldn't pay their fines that led to their sentence.

At the event, Babucarr Keita, founder of BKF recalled that he started his initiative when an inmate approached him to ask for assistance after he was caught with mobile phone.

"As a result, he was convicted and charged with1000 dalasis. I therefore help him to pay his fine and he was released. I later ask a prison officer if I can pay such amount so I will be release and he told me our crimes are different as his own was minor. I then came up with the idea that anytime I come out from prison I will set up a Foundation to help the inmates that couldn't pay their fines."

Keita reminded that Prisons is supposed to reform people and not to criminalise them.

He thus urged the released prisoners to reform themselves and be good ambassadors of the prison.

For his part, Manding Saidykhan, principal secretary at the Ministry of Interior, thanked Bob Keita through his foundation for the move.

He recalled that this is the first time such a thing has happened at the Prison by a one-time prisoner, who thought and came up with an initiative to help other inmates.

"The ministry of Interior is very much appreciative when we heard about this. The information came to us through the Gambia Prison Service that Bob Keita has a foundation to support the institution. As a ministry, our role is to make sure we reform the institution and make sure we move to International standard so that whosoever comes here will feel like home and not feel like in a hell. "

Masour Jobe, a representative from National Human Rights Commission, expressed delight to be part of such a great event, which he said, is part of the mandate of his commission.

The commission, he added, has a broad mandate to make sure the rights of individuals are respected, protected but also fulfilled in The Gambia.

"If someone is convicted and sentenced to prison your only right that is taken from you is your freedom right to movement. But we know aside from that right we know inmate faced other challenges such as the overcrowding of prison such as toilets, bedding and even the foods there are lot of challenges in term of this provisions that are provided to the inmates. For me it is a unique opportunity to once again call on the government and the Ministries of Justice and Interior and The Gambia Prison Services to put more efforts in trying to make sure the right of inmates and prisoners are respected and fulfilled as required by the constitution and other regional and international institutions that the Gambia is a party to."

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06