Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Police Rearrest 3 Years Jotna Leaders after Court
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2021 :  11:34:11  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Police Rearrest 3 Years Jotna Leaders after Court Discharges Them
Foroyaa: February 10, 2021

By Yankuba Jallow

https://foroyaa.net/police-rearrest-3-years-jotna-leaders-after-court-discharges-them

A trial judge in Banjul has discharged the leaders of 3 Years Jotna group following the State’s application to withdraw the case.

The State on the 9th February 2021 made an application for the case to be withdrawn before Justice Bakre of the High Court Annex in Banjul. The application was not objected by the defence.

The court discharged the accused persons.

They were arrested in connection with a peaceful protest held in January 2020 which turnout violent resulting in the issuance of tear gas by the police. They were charged for protesting after proclamation was made on the revocation of their permit.

The court in December 2020 closed the prosecution case and at the defence made a “no case to answer” submission, but before the court could proceed to make a determination on the matter, the prosecution made an application to withdraw the case. However, after they were discharged, the police rearrested them and charged them again. Foroyaa is monitoring the situation. The reporter is currently at the Police Headquarters trying to speak to the police spokesperson on the matter.

Related Topic: https://www.gambia.dk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16785

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2021 :  15:08:33  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3 Years Jotna leaders face fresh charges after acquittal and rearrest
FEBRUARY 11, 2021

By Alagie Manneh and Olimatou Coker

https://standard.gm/3-years-jotna-leaders-face-fresh-charges-after-acquittal-and-rearrest-0/

Immediately following a discharge order at the Banjul Magistrates’ Court, police yesterday re-arrested and charged members of the proscribed Three Years Jotna group.

The court freed Yankuba Darboe, Abdoulie Njie, Ebrima Kitim Jarju, Sherfiffo Sonko, Hagi Suwareh, Fanta Mballow, Karim Touray and Muctarr Ceesay from charges of unlawful assembly, rioting after proclamation, and rioters demolishing structures after the state filed a nolle prosequi.

But police waiting outside the court premises re-arrested the leadership of the movement, slapping them with the same charges the magistrates’ court discharged them of.

The police spokesman said the rearrests were made as a result of an information filed at the high court by the state. He did not give details.

After eight hours under detention, they were released on bail.

Supporters of the embattled group raised fingers and chanted “Three Years Jotna!” as the bailed persons descended the stairs of the Police Serious Crimes Office at the Police Headquarters in Banjul.

“It’s all politics. This is all geared towards stifling our dissent of holding President Barrow to his promise to the Gambian people that he is going to serve a transitional government of three years, which has now proven to be the lie of the century,” bailed Yankuba Darboe told The Standard.

Mr Darboe, himself a lawyer and an executive member of the UDP, said their arrest demonstrated “an abuse of the judicial process”.

“The whole world now knows the same system which abetted and aided the Jammeh dictatorship is still here under the leadership of IGP Mamour Jobe,” Darboe said.

The group has been granted bail, but asked to report to police Monday.

Nominated member Ya-Kumba Jaiteh appeared to “show solidarity,” but declined to comment on the matter.

UDP activist Dodou Kassa Jaata, accused President Barrow of “masterminding the whole 3YJ legal troubles”.

“The police are doing this action [sic] because the head of state instructed them to do so” he claimed.

Under the Criminal Code, the group’s leaders could face up to a year in jail if convicted under unlawful assembly alone.

Other charges included riotous demolishing of buildings and rioting after proclamation.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2021 :  15:13:01  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No case to answer for 3 years jotna. Government has today announced that they have dropped the charges.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2021 :  15:43:08  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3 Years Jotna doesn't trust AG's withdrawal charges
The Point: May 5, 2021
By: Sankulleh Gibril Janko

https://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/headlines/3-years-jotna-doesnt-trust-ags-withdrawal-charges

The ‘3 Years Jotna’ is not convinced and does not trust the Attorney General's decision to withdraw the criminal charges against their executive members and set them free, claiming the decision is politically motivated.
This comes after Justice Minister and Attorney General Dawda Jallow in a statement issued on Tuesday, said all the criminal proceedings against the group have been halted.

"The Honourable Attorney General and Minister of Justice has taken the decision after careful consideration to put a halt on the criminal proceedings against the accused persons charged with various offences under the criminal code in respect of the activities arising from the incident of the 26th day of January 2020 popularly called 'Three Years Jotna'," the statement read.

The statement claims the AG is under no obligation to state the reasons for the decision but went on further to say the gesture was taken in consultation with President Barrow and within the spirit of Ramadan.

It stated that the decision was taken to promote peace and reconciliation among stakeholders in the political process ahead of the December polls.

However, the spokesperson of the movement Hagie Suwaneh has reservations about the decision.

"I really appreciate it in a way but in another way is just a thing that I believe the Jammeh system of the judiciary for the government or state to file nully; to discharge or discontinue cases like such because this was not the first time it occurred," he said. "It occurred when we were rearrested and they filed a nully after all we were just kept away from the courtroom then we were rearrested."

He cited former Secretary General Momodou Sabally's case when he was discharged and rearrested under former President Jammeh's rule.

"So if the state of Barrow, really discharged, if they do it based on justice, I'll commend them but for me it's going to be early to commend them on this effort because I think there is a tactic behind it because this is not the first time it applied and then also if they have done the right thing at the right time, the whole world will commend them.”

"Taking the decision the first time but we were rearrested meaning this is the right thing at the wrong time, this is not the right time for them to do it because they know since inception they have no case against us, they only tried to waste our time, they know they have no evidence to prosecute against us."

He claimed if it is based on humanitarian grounds, the decision should have been taken earlier.

"I am not fully convince and I cannot be convinced because they have done it before, they have done it not only to me but in the previous regime, we have seen the same, most of the legal advisers that were aiding and abetting the old regime, it's the same people, most of them are back in the system advising the president on something that they think will favour the president."

For the executive member of the banned movement the decision may be a ploy from the Barrow led government to silence them.

"The only thing I have, I'll continue to him accountable, if they want let them re-arrest me, if this is a plan that is done judiciously, they have done the right thing but if this a plan that they wanted to watch me to put surveillance on me so that if hold the government accountable, to re-arrest me again and add some malicious charges against me it's not going to be a surprise to me because it's not the first time."

After reaching out for clarity on what he means to halt the criminal proceedings against the group, AG and Justice Minister Jallow said "we are completely discontinuing the case and letting them free."

It could be recalled that the executive members of the group were charged with various offenses including Unlawful assembly, riotous demolishing of buildings and rioting after proclamation contrary to Sections 69,74 and 76 of the Criminal Code laws of the Gambia.

They have been bailed twice after arresting them twice.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06