Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 THIS IS WHY I strongly dislike politics !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2019 :  17:46:03  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such public interaction between ranking members in the Gambian political world appears to me to be totally unnecessary,"discussions" such as these should be aired in The National Assembly .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By Amadou Jadama August 21, 2019

Presidential political adviser Siaka Jatta has called on Serekunda West NAM Madi Ceesay to resign, accusing him of making treasonable comments.

A statement released by State House yesterday, reads:
“Kindly accept this statement as an expression of my utter dismay and indignation at the recent comments made by one Madi Ceesay, a national assembly member for the United Democratic Party.

The comments ascribed to Mr. Ceesay, whom I deliberately refuse to address with the right honorific befitting of a respectable member of parliament – Honourable National Assembly Member, where he was openly calling for the illegal overthrow of a democratically elected government are indeed shameful and regrettable.

I call on Madi Ceesay to resign in honour of preserving the integrity of our Honourable National Assembly.

His comments are treasonous and highly demeaning of the National Assembly, which is why I am also calling on the National Assembly Standing Committee on Ethics to take disciplinary actions against him.

No respectable National Assembly Member, who is well au fait with his constitutional mandate and responsibilities will ever associate, not even remotely, with an illegal attempt to dislodge a government that was overwhelming elected by the people of The Gambia.

The Gambian people have spoken when they decided in 2016 to give President Adama Barrow a five-year mandate to rule the country.

Moreover, the 1997 Constitution of the Gambia, which is the supreme law of the land, is quite clear when it states ambiguously in Section 63 that ”the term of an elected president shall, subject sections (3) and (6), be for a term of five (5) years”.

The government of The Gambia will defend the supremacy of the constitution. Equally, all genuine Gambians, who are true to promoting the ideals of constitutionalism, the rule of the law, and sincerely care about consolidating the good governance and democratic gains so far registered should have no qualms adhering to the tenets of the law in spirit and letter.

At this juncture, I refer Madi Ceesay to draw wisdom from the recent comments made by his party leader, veteran lawyer Ousainu Darboe, who unreluctantly distanced himself from the illegal cause of the so-called ”3-years movement”.

He told a local news site recently that ”I just stated what the laws” referring to earlier comments he made insisting that Barrow must serve five years.

Madi’s renegade diversion from the position of his party leader party points to two things: 1) that there’s no discipline in the party structures and rogue elements like Madi have become uncontrollable; or 2) that the influence of the party leader in the party is fast dwindling.”

Meanwhile Foday Gassama, nominated National Assembly Member has also weighed in on the matter, saying if anything happens in December Madi Ceesay will be among the people responsible.

Gassama, a former UDP regional youth coordinator for West Coast now perceived to be a Barrow loyalist, told The Standard yesterday: “Madi Ceesay should realize that calling on people to come out to the streets to remove the democratically elected president is unconstitutional, and also not in conformity with the functions and responsibilities of a National Assembly Member.

“Our role as National Assembly Members is to make laws of the land and to amend the constitution, monitor the governing system of the country and ratify the bills and international treaties. His recent remarks are not encouraging.”

“If anything happens in December Honorable Madi Ceesay will be responsible for that because his statements were very venomous and even treasonable.

He should withdraw his statement and apologise to the Gambian people”, Gassama added.

Gassama called on Gambians especially the youths to preserve the peace and the constitution of The Gambia and “refuse to be used by unscrupulous elements and selfish people.”

Madi Ceesay, a prominent member of the UDP and many times victim of the Jammeh oppression, had on many occasions asked President Barrow to respect his promise to quit after three years and recently warned that the people agitating for this calling themselves ‘3 years Jotna’ should not be mishandled.

https://standard.gm/presidential-adviser-asks-madi-to-resign/

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 21 Aug 2019 17:47:27

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2019 :  17:56:34  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By Omar Bah

Madi Ceesay, the UDP national assembly member for Serekunda West has said that if the 3 Years Jotna issue is not properly handled, there could be another TRRC and “if anything unforeseen happens in December,President Barrow will be held responsible.”

Speaking on Star FM radio, the audio of which was shared with The Standard before broadcast on Monday, Mr Ceesay said the determination and ‘greed’ he saw in Barrow to stay for five years may spoil all the good work he has started.

He said if President Barrow respects his promise and sets a good example by quitting after three years, then his short term would be better than the entire 22-year rule of Jammeh.

“And this is what everyone desires for him. We all love him to have a very good legacy even now, despite our differences in views,” Mr Ceesay added.

The Serekunda West NAM added that President Barrow should exercise good judgment over the 3 Years Jotna affairs because any improper management of the issue can lead to atrocities for which he would be the person to blame.

Expanding on the Coalition MoU, the Serekunda West NAM said he holds a different view to that of his party leader Ousainu Darboe on how many years President Barrow should serve.

”My position is for the Gambian leader to step down after three years,” he said.

Hon Ceesay said the UDP is not Barrow’s biggest opposition because Barrow is part and parcel of the party. “It is just that now our views are different from his views”.

Mr Ceesay also dismissed as nonsense a recent comment by former PPP leader, OJ who claimed the three-year agreement was imposed on Barrow.

“The Coalition was made of seven political parties who agreed with the rest of the Coalition members on the three years, Barrow was never representing us at the Coalition discussion but even during his acceptance speech, he made it emphatically clear that he will step down after three years and he should respect that,” Ceesay added.

On the allegations that he himself has received money from President Barrow as a bribe, Ceesay admitted receiving a total of D30, 000 from Barrow but added that the Gambian leader has since stopped giving him the monthly subvention after he started agitating for the three years Jotna.

Ceesay, who is also the founder of the Daily News, was among the NAMs who admitted receiving the D10, 000 dalasis from the President which sparked lot of controversy.

“The President only gave me money on three occasions and when I was taking those monies there were no conditions attached.

So this is why I don’t see it as bribery.

But now it appeared his decision to give me those monies was for me to support him on the five years, because now that he heard me calling for three years he has stopped giving me the monthly D10,000.

“So I can say he was bribing me to support him on the five years.

I have the right to say that,” he said in Star FM interview.

Mr Ceesay said however he had never gone to the State House to personally collect money from President Barrow.

“I received the monies on three occasions from him through Lamin Cham, Saikou Marong and Abdoulie Ceesay”, he noted.

=============================================================================================

COMMENTS Copied from the Standard Newspaper at the end of the article by Omar Bah.

Cherno Bah
Aimless people who never want to see peace in the Gambia, 3years nonsense jotna.
Barrow for 5years!#128293;#128293;#128293;#128293;#128293;#127468;#127474;God will punish who ever want to set this country on fire...
Gambia are full of intellectual hypocrites. 3years jotna#128514;#128517;#129315;#128514;#128514;#128514;
Like · Reply · 2 · 21h
Djallows Farm
Why do few Gambians think they can just flip flop the rest of the country?
Like · Reply · 2 · 1d
Rahim Akbarr
You can say that again... They think that Gambians are curtain moving anyhow as the wind blows

This man Madi should be ashamed of himself. Let him provide proofs to Gambians where he had condemned Darbor at the time for saying that Barrow will go for five years and NOT three years. Madi would NOT be able to proof. So, is this man genuine???

As a genuine and honorable member of Parliament MUST he be talking senselessly the way he is talking. Threatening the President with nonsense agreement which his very party UDP before now was NOT in support. The evidence are there online news, social media etc... Are they NOT ashamed to flip and flop?

This scare tactic is obsolete... Please (UDP) try another method or better still go to bed and relax.. till 2021 like the President said NO going through the back door.. #128540;
Like · Reply · 16h
Muhamadou Bun Ousmandabo
Madi am a shame of your guys
Like · Reply · 1 · 1d

https://standard.gm/madi-ceesay-warns-against-mishandling-3-years-jotna/

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 21 Aug 2019 18:00:10
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2019 :  18:05:07  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Ceesay, who is also the founder of the Daily News, was among the NAMs who admitted receiving the D10, 000 dalasis from the President which sparked lot of controversy."

What has happened to The Daily News newspaper for several days looking on line their site response is:

Error establishing a database connection

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11525 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2019 :  14:19:24  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Madi Ceesay says bad political advisers sinking Barrow
Standard: AUGUST 22, 2019

By Omar Bah

https://standard.gm/madi-ceesay-says-bad-political-advisers-sinking-barrow/

Madi Ceesay, the UDP national assembly member who was recently accused by presidential adviser Siaka Jatta of uttering treasonable language has hit back saying it is the likes of Siaka Jatta who are misleading the Gambian leader.

“I would personally hold the likes of Siaka Jatta, who called himself a political adviser to President Barrow, responsible for all the mess Gambians are going through; probably due to the wrong political advice he offers to the President,” he said in a write-up shared with The Standard.

Ceesay further stated that Mr Jatta is fully aware that President Barrow had after assuming the position of President told Gambians and the whole world that he was going to step down after three years and will not participate in subsequent elections.

“All I am saying or standing for and will continue to do so, is that we the electorates are going to hold President Barrow accountable on his political campaign promise which is that he will resign after three years. I, or nobody fabricated this agreement.

It was reached and proclaimed by President Adama Barrow and his team and he is being asked to respect that.

It is as simple as that, unless Siaka Jatta is telling us that he understands it in another way,” Ceesay added.

He continued: “If holding a politician accountable to his campaign promise is treason then am ready to face the courts.

The 3 Years Jotna members have all the rights to demonstrate peacefully, which is a constitutional right given by the constitution and I did not see who can take those constitutional rights from them”.

The issue of three years, Ceesay added, is one of a moral issue.

“It was President Adama Barrow who openly campaigned in the name of three years and had a lot of well-educated people around him, who are very knowledgeable in the constitution.

The fact that he and all those who were in the campaign team knew that the presidential mandate is five years and yet agreed on the three years was enough to prove that it is also not against the constitution for a president to resign especially if that president himself said he will do so.

But perhaps more importantly what is wrong in demonstrating to tell that president that you told us something before and now you are changing? He should morally do the right thing and resign come December 2019, to avoid people exercising their constitutional right to peacefully protest against a failed promise by their leader.

This is as simple as that.

Nobody is using any threat. If anything they, the presidential advisers, are the ones saying there will be hot water tanks, people will be shot etc.

They are the ones using threats and heightening tensions.

All what people are saying is peaceful demonstration and is people like Siaka Jatta who are misleading President Barrow from seeing the light,” Mr Ceesay said. Ceesay said Mr Jatta’s call for him to resign is irresponsible and nonsensical, adding that Jatta would do a better job by asking Mr Barrow to resign as that is a popular demand among Gambians.

“We have a situation in our hands and I think the stakeholders responsible of forming the Coalition should call for stakeholder’s conference to chart a way forward,” he concluded.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06