Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Sad news from Kombo Faraba: PIU fired live bullets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  21:42:50  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very sad news to hear that the police used live ammunition on environmentalist at Kombo Faraba resulting in lost of lives. President Barrow and his interior minister owes us an explanation why they fired live bullets at armless civilians? This is the modus operandi (MO) of the former regime and not what is expected of our new Gambia.

My sincere condolences to families of the young people who lost their lives today.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  21:44:11  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
REPUBLIC OF THE GAMBIA
PRIVATE Office of The President
State House
Banjul
THE GAMBIA

PRESS RELEASE

President Barrow regrets the loss of lives at Faraba

State House, Banjul, 18th June 2018 - The President is deeply saddened by reports of clashes in Faraba which led to loss of lives. Out of extreme concern and regard for justice and accountability, the President summoned the high command of the relevant security service and instructed thorough investigation into the matter as quick as possible.

He has been informed that Bakary Kujabi and Ismaila Bah lost their lives while Sulayman Jammeh, Sainey Sonko, Amadou Nyang, Sir Dawda Daffeh, Bubacarr Darboe Mariama Bah, Abdoulie Jobe and Alhajie Camara were wounded and three PIU officials, Modou Dem, Alieu Camara and Momodou Jallow also sustained injuries.

The President is sadden that while Gambian fought hard to bring in democracy and respect for rule of law, such unfortunate incident leading to loss of lives are taking place in the country.

President Barrow calls for calm and restraint while fact finding is underway to ensure the necessary action is taken. So far three of the armed officers are the under custody of the police and one is at the Intensive Care Unit at the Francis Small Teaching Hospital.

A directive has been given to suspend all mining activities until further notice.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  08:48:24  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Building The New Gambia
By Madi Jobarteh
Gambia Government Is Responsible for the Faraba Deaths!

The Gambia Government under Pres. Adama Barrow and his Interior Minister and the IGP must be held to account for the deaths of citizens in Faraba. The statement by the Interior Minister and the IGP that they did not give orders to paramilitary officers to shoot is misleading and inadequate ad cannot be used for their defence. The fact that live rounds were issued to these officers in the first place means they were required to use them and they did use them. Therefore the IGP cannot absolve himself of responsibility.

The PIU is a disciplined force under the command and control of the IGP who is under the direction and management of the Interior Minister. The deployment of PIU personnel including the arms they carry are not the choice of the individual officers but from their high command based on operational requirements. Therefore the fact that PIU officers were deployed to Faraba and provided guns and live bullets indicates that the decision came from their high command which is under the IGP and the Interior Minister.

For that matter the IGP must take full responsibility for the use of live rounds in Faraba. If they did not intend to have the PIU officers shoot then they would not have given them guns with live rounds. The use of live rounds by PIU officers is not unprecedented as we can vividly recall how they used live rounds in April 2000 to massacre Gambian schoolchildren. The PIU has been notorious for the use of force and violence on Gambian citizens as we saw how they manhandled Solo and fellow patriots when they protested on 14 April 2016. Therefore the PIU has a clear history and policy to use violence against Gambians which the IGP is fully aware of.

President Adama Barrow must therefore hold his IGP and Interior Minister fully accountable for the deaths and injuries in Faraba by deploying a notorious force known for their brutality. The failure of the Gambia Government to effect necessary system change within the security sector particularly in the PIU since January 2017 itself calls into question the leadership and commitment of this Government to protect the fundamental human rights of citizens. The time has come to suspend or disband the PIU for a thorough and proper reform of that institution is conducted.

In light of the above the National Assembly must therefore institute an immediate open public hearing to be broadcast on national radio and television so that Gambians can hear and see direct and undiluted facts of the incident from the horses’ mouths. Public officials and security officers who gave orders and executed those orders including those who allowed PIU officers to carry armed guns must be held to account.

The National Assembly must also investigate the way and manner mining license was issued to a businessman to operate in Faraba when there has been no general consensus among the people. The Gambia Government must understand that it has no absolute and exclusive power or authority to dispense off the land and natural resources of communities just because it thinks it is the Government or that there is law to back such decision.

Communities also have rights to their environment equally and such environment and its resources cannot just be taken away from them by a government regardless. Therefore the Government must not take any action or decision that seeks to threaten the social, economic, cultural and environmental rights of citizens.
For The Gambia Our Homeland.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  09:02:32  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Press Release

Fajara: Monday June 18, 2018 - The Gambia Press Union (GPU) hereby condemns in the strongest terms the assault on journalist Pa Modou Bojang by personnel of Police Intervention Unit (PIU) at Faraba village, Kombo East.

Chaos erupted in the village Monday morning when the villagers clashed with police over mining activities by a private company. Two people were allegedly shot and killed by PIU personnel, while injuring many others.

Journalist Bojang went to the scene in the morning for news coverage when he came under attack. He said he was physically assaulted before he was arrested and taken under six hours of detention at Brikama Police Station.

“I arrived at the scene in the morning. There was no police around at the time. I did my interviews and gathered my facts. While on that, I saw speeding police truck towards the village. The PIU personnel started firing bullets. I ran for cover.

“One of the personnel found me. I identified myself as a journalist. He advised me to stay safe. One of the villagers was shot in the leg. I witnessed it but didn’t take pictures.

“One of the police personnel came from behind and asked what I was doing there. He slapped me in the face the moment I told him I am a journalist. He directed ‘your mother’ insults towards me and told me ‘you journalists have destroyed this country and if Yaya Jammeh were here, we would have killed all of you’.

“I told them that I underwent a heart surgery; that I have a pacemaker on me. But the beating became even more brutal as more personnel joined him in beating me. I got injured in my head and gum as well as other parts of my body. I could have died. I am lucky to be alive.”

Journalist Bojang was released from detention at about 6pm without charge. He however could not recover his audio recorder from the police. He will undergo a medical checkup to determine the extent and complications of his injury.

The Gambia Press Union has made efforts to speak to the Public Relations Officer of the Gambia Police Force but he was out of reach.

The GPU is deeply concerned by the trend of attack on journalists on duty in recent times. The GPU therefore calls on the Barrow administration to launch a full investigation into this matter.

The GPU Secretary General, Saikou Jammeh, said: “Enough is enough. These attacks are a step backwards for press freedom in The Gambia. We will take all measures appropriate and necessary to ensure that the perpetrators of this attack face justice and the journalist is rewarded for damages.”

The GPU is committed, ready and willing to continue engaging state authorities with a view to promoting an enabling environment for press freedom, especially with regards to the safety of journalists.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  09:34:06  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My condolences to the family and friends of Bakary Kujabi and Ismaila Bah. also my sympathy to those who have been wounded or assaulted during this shameful incident.
Unfortunately this incident appears to highlight,(in my opinion) a distinct lack of training on behalf of the PIU who APPEAR by reports to have acted almost like soldiers taking on "the enemy" in battle,forgetting totally that those involved were their country men, yet another problem for President Barrow and his administration to solve.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  09:40:18  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Press Release by IGP.
====================================================================================================
The Inspector General of Police has issued a press release indicating that his office did not authorize the use of fire arms on protestors in Faraba Banta and has promised to investigate the circumstance leading to the incident. The full text of the release is as follows:

The Office of The Inspector General of Police wishes to bring to the attention of the General Public that in the early hours of 18th June 2018, residents of Faraba Banta and personnel of The Gambia Police Force were involved in a clash that led to the regrettable death of Bakary Kujabi and Ismaila Bah and injury to several others.

The Office of the Inspector General of Police wishes to make it clear that it did not authorize the use of fire arms and will investigate the circumstances that led to this unfortunate incident.

The Office of the Inspector General of Police wishes to express sincere condolences to the bereaved families and promise that appropriate action will be taken.

The community of Faraba Banta is hereby urged to keep the peace, be law abiding and refrain from violence while investigations are launched.

http://foroyaa.gm/did-not-authorize-use-of-fire-arms-igp/

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  09:47:01  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Open Letter to President Barrow

JUSTICE FOR THE FARABA VICTIMS NOW!

Dear Mr. President,

When you appointed me Executive Secretary of the TRRC back in late January 2018, my understanding was that your government was fully and genuinely invested in addressing past human rights violations and preventing the recurrence of future human rights violations. I believed that under your watch, no Gambian blood will ever be shed by Gambian security forces and that with your support, the TRRC will help bring justice to the victims and the families of victims of people who lost their lives or otherwise suffered gross human rights violations under the former regime. I am writing to you because today, I begin to feel that my conviction as stated above has been badly shaken and that ultimately, it will be hard for me to pretend to address the issue of gross human rights violations in an environment in which the very same violations are being repeated as evidenced by the tragic killing of protesters in Faraba Banta on Monday, June 18, 2018.

How can we purport to right the wrongs of the past when we are seeing a repeat of those very same wrongs in the present? How can we purport to seek justice for past violations when exactly the same violations are being committed in the here and now? How can we honestly say “Never Again” to gross human rights violations in The Gambia when gross human rights violations are being committed right before our eyes? Surely, it would be grossly dishonest and hypocritical of me personally to head an institution that claims to be investigating extra judicial killings of the past regime when extra judicial killings are being committed – as in the Faraba case, right under my eyes? It is never right for police to open fire on unarmed civilians, however tense and volatile the situation. Why can’t the police use tear gas or rubber bullets or even batons to disperse protesters, rather than use life bullets to kill them? We can’t have that in the New Gambia. We cannot tolerate that in the New Gambia.

Surely Mr. President, you do understand the very difficult situation in which the Faraba killings have put me and the entire mandate of the TRRC. You understand how difficult it will be for me and my colleagues to go about the country talking about the injustice of killing unarmed protesters by the former regime while police officers have opened fire and killed unarmed protesters in the here and now. I cannot just emphasize strongly enough in what an impossible situation the Faraba killings have put the mandate of the TRRC. Suffice it to say that the Faraba incident has just made the mandate of the TRRC a million times more complicated and difficult than it already is.

The purpose of this open letter is to both express my personal outrage at what happened at Faraba, to show how it has made my work and position much more difficult and untenable and to ask that your government does something NOW to salvage the situation. I writing to ask that those responsible for killing the victims of the Faraba shootings be identified, arrested and brought before a court of law NOW. The job you have entrusted me with is a job I love and a job I believe can help us all build a truly just, democratic and enlightened Gambia. But it is a job I cannot do when the very things we are condemning in the past are being repeated in the present. So PLEASE DO SOMETHING NOW – and I do not mean the usual lengthy investigations. I mean BRING THOSE WHO KILLED THE FARABA PROTESTERS TO JUSTICE NOW. This is one case that must be treated with the urgency and seriousness it deserves.

I thank you for taking the time to read this open letter and for taking FIRM, UNAMBIGOUS ACTION NOW to demonstrate to the TRRC, the Gambian people and the International Community that extra judicial killings are not acceptable and will Never Again be tolerated in The Gambia. Thank you.

Yours Sincerely,

Baba Galleh Jallow, Ph. D

Executive Secretary, TRRC

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  13:40:03  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gambians react to police’s killing in Faraba

The Point: Tuesday, June 19, 2018

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/gambians-react-to-polices-killing-in-faraba

Gambian have reacted after two people have been reportedly killed in cold blood whilst many others including elderly persons maimed.

According to sources, some had their legs and arms broken, while others were seriously wounded.

This reporter went out and about to sample people’s views about what many described as an ugly incident just few days after the feast of Eidul-fitr was observed in The Gambia.

The case of Faraba Bantang is the newest in the country where some innocent and unarmed civilians were killed in cold blood simply because they were protesting against degradation of their environment.

Lamin Sanneh, a contractor said that Gambians cannot continue to encourage this kind of brutality from the paramilitary.

“Is this the Gambia we envisage under President Barrow’s government? Or did we decide this as it is in HASHTAG: Gambia has decided?”

Saikou Sawaneh a social analyst disclosed that President Adama Barrow cannot give an order to shoot somebody to death, even if he do give order for someone to be shot dead, that order is considered unlawful because it is only the law (court) that has the powers to do so after all the legal avenues have been exhausted.

He said Section 188 of the Criminal Procedure Code prescribed that a person convicted of murder shall be sentenced to death and Section 250 of the criminal Procedure Code directs the manner the convict shall suffer death.

“No person not even the president under the law has the power to order to shoot and kill anyone,” he argues.

“Then why killing our innocent or unarmed civilians by the paramilitary and why would the paramilitary be allowed to carry guns with live bullets. Who gave order to fire live bullets at innocent and unharmed civilians?” he inquired.

One Fatou Sanyang remarked that Gambians heard of the incident in Kanilai where an innocent civilian was shot death because of their protest against the presence of ECOMIG forces stationed there.

“Up to this moment President Adama Barrow has not appointed a coroner to inquire the death of Haruna Jatta and no one is investigated either,” she noted

“This government promised to protect fundamental rights of all persons as enshrined in the 1997 Constitution of The Gambia,” she added.

She queried the rationale why the present government is prosecuting some former officials of the defunct National Intelligence Agency (NIA) for allegedly killing Solo Sandeng, why would President Barrow government allow innocent persons to be shot by the police without the due process of the law.

Ebrima Susso argued that it is illegal to carry out an unlawful order and the shoot to death of unarmed civilian is a crime and the perpetrator must be held to account.

“Barrow government should also know that he would not stay in power forever and he would be called one day to explain to the Gambian people the unlawful and ugly incidence that have rocked this country during his tenure as commander-in-chief and president of the republic.”

Lala Bah said the president’s omission to take action as the commander-in-chief and the custodian of the Constitution is an offence.

She called on the National Assembly to hold the executive to account without fear or favour and with immediate effect summoned the minister of the Interior and the Inspector General of Police to give account of who ordered the shooting to death of unarmed civilians in Faraba Bantang.

“So Mr. president you must act now before your name and your government is dragged into the mud by some unscrupulous element in your government.”

Author: Bruce Asemota

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  14:02:30  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Police Open Fire On Protestors Two shot dead

Foroyaa: June 18, 2018

By Yankuba Jallow/ Louise Jobe

http://foroyaa.gm/police-open-fire-on-protestors-two-shot-dead/

Two protestors were shot dead when police opened fire on protestors yesterday morning at Faraba Banta, West Coast Region.

Bakary Kujabi, alias Seffo, and Ismaila Bah died during the incident. Reports further indicate loss of lives and serious injuries sustained from gunshots between the PIU and villagers. At least four other civilians sustained injuries and ten PIU personnel are reported injured in clashes between PIU personnel and protestors. They have been rushed to the hospital for medical treatment.

Yesterday morning when some trucks came to the mining site at Faraba Banta, they were intercepted by the villagers who insisted that mining must stop because it is not in the interest of the community but the vehicle drivers proceeded to the Site. Early in the morning of Monday, the villagers realised that there were some vehicles that came and mined.

Our reporters who visited the scene, indicate that some youths gathered on the highway in order to stop ¡®Julakay¡¯ Company¡¯s trucks from entering and leaving the village, loaded with sand. PIU Officers stationed in the village, approached them to calm their nerves, only to see reinforcement of more PIU Officers who arrived and started shooting at them. The youth who spoke to our reporters indicate that they were armed with only sticks and stones to defend themselves from the live bullets of PIU Officers, who shot at point blank range and killed two of their own.

According to the youth protesters, this is what broke the camel¡¯s back; that the fighting ensued for several hours amid chasing, stone throwing and firing of live bullets, leaving two people dead, one in a critical condition and three others seriously injured.

¡°We were sitting on the road leading to the site and we were even chatting with the PIU officers stationed there. We were chatting and talking with them nice without any problem until they brought reinforcement. When the reinforcement arrived, they didn¡¯t ask or talk to us instead they began firing at us life bullet that caused the instant dead of two youths. We weren¡¯t armed and we came there peacefully to sit on the way going to the site and not to create any problem but the police opened fire at us¡± they said.

These reporters saw the charred remains of three trucks and two mechanised shovels commonly referred to as bull dozers. The newly constructed house for PIU personnel was razed to the ground by the rampaging youth of the village. Several compounds of alleged collaborators were all burnt to ashes, by the rampaging youth.

Meanwhile Momodou Drammeh, the Public Relations Officer at Edward Francis Small Teaching Hospital (EFSTH), confirmed the death of Bakary Kujabi and Ismaila Bah, both youth protesters from Faraba Banta village. PRO Drammeh disclosed that they received four people who are seriously injured but have been hospitalised. The PRO said he only knows of four people injured as at the time he was talking to our reporter.

¡°It might be more than this and they might be taken to various hospitals in the Kanfing Municipality or Brikama,¡± he remarked. The two corpses were taken to the mortuary at the time he was talking to this reporter.

Families of the victims were seen at the hospital in their numbers, speaking openly against what happened. Blood stains marred the floor of the accident and emergency room.

At the gate of the mortuary, family members of the victims openly wailed and wept for the loss of their dear ones as the mortuary attendant confirmed to this reporter, that he received only two corpses. In a related development, a journalist by the name Pa Bojang who works at a radio station in Brikama, is said to have been arrested by officers of the PIU, during the protest and taken to the Brikama Police station for questioning. These reporters can confirm seeing him at the Police station in Brikama, though they were being denied access to him.

Wounded environmentalists include Sainey Sonko, Pa Jammeh, and Sheriffo Touray.

The incident occurred in the wake of refusal by villagers to accept ¡®Julakay¡¯ Company mining sand in their lands before the National Assembly¡¯s Select Committee complete their investigations and make final recommendations to Government. Villagers who spoke to these reporters indicate that the NA Select Committee on the Environment who visited them less than two weeks ago, did not complete their investigations and final report to Government. ¡®Julakay¡¯, however, proceeded to advertise and re- commence sand mining in Faraba Banta.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  17:45:18  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ANOTHER REPORT from THE POINT.

=====================================================================================================

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Personnel of the Police Intervention Unit (PIU) have reportedly shot two men dead in Faraba Bantang village, with nine others injured as the community clashed with law enforcers on Monday morning.

The victims: Bakary Kujabi and Ismalie Bah died on the spot. Amadou Nyang-Jawo, a final year student at The Gambia College, who is also doing his practical teaching at Faraba Lower Basic School was hospitalised at the Edward Francis Small Teaching Hospital in Banjul.

Masanneh Njie, Salaman Darboe, Jalaman Darboe, Pa Jammeh, Sainey Sonko, Sheriffo Touray, Dawda Daffeh, Buba Sanyang and Francis Jambang were all reportedly injured and were rushed to the Brikama Major Hospital for treatment.

Five trucks that were loading the sand in the mining area were burnt to ashes by the angry Faraba youths including two caterpillars. The angry youths were also seen targeting compound belonging to Bo Jarju, Ba Jambang Sanyang, and Bakary Saidy and Nuha Kujabi among others, removing their house materials and burning them to ashes and damaging their houses.

According to the youths, those targeted are the people that signed the contract with Julakey Company – a sand mining company without the consultation of the village VDC and stakeholders.

Eyewitnesses to the incident said one Alieu Camara, a PIU personnel and a native of Brikama New Town was the person that fired life bullets. Some PIU personnel equally sustained injuries during the clash, eyewitnesses say.

The director of press and public relations officer of the Office of the President, Amie Bojang-Sissoho on her Facebook account named the wounded PIU officers as Modou Dem, Alieu Camara and Momodou Jallow.

Mustapha Camara, a youth leader from Faraba Bantang village and also an eyewitness to the incident, who spoke to our reporter in tears, condemned the killing of innocent and unarmed youths by the PIU personnel.

He thus called on government to launch an immediate investigation into to the matter with a view to averting future bloodshed.

The incident, he said, started when the people of Faraba discovered that there were trucks at the sand mining site smuggling the sand without informing the villagers; following an earlier decision being reached by the National Assembly Select Committee on Environment that Julakey Company should cease operation pending the outcome of their investigation.

“However, to our surprise, early morning on Monday, we realised that some trucks were coming to the mining area and loading their trucks with sand. We decided to mobilise ourselves and sat on the roads unarmed in order to block the trucks from taking the sands.”

Mr. Camara explained that they were standing with the PIU personnel who are guiding the sand mining area with no confrontation, saying within an hour time, they saw a full truck and a pick-up of PIU personnel.

“When they arrived at the scene, they fired two warning shots but we did not disperse and they later started using life bullets and tear gasses on us. One of the PIU officer told me that if I didn’t move, he would killed me. We want to know who ordered the shooting of unarmed youths,” he said.

The chairman of the United Democratic Party (UDP) of Faraba, Bakary Sanyang, also condemned in strongest terms the killing of unarmed youths.
Author: Momodou Jawo

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/2-killed-9-wounded-in-faraba-clash

Edited by - toubab1020 on 19 Jun 2018 17:48:31
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  18:00:00  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This From The Standard Newspaper:

"There were unconfirmed reports that a third civilian died of his injuries."

======================================================================
By Mafugi Ceesay June 19, 2018

Personnel of the Police Intervention Unit have yesterday shot and killed two residents of Faraba who were among a group protesting against a sand mining company, the Julakay Group.
Bakary Kujabi, alias Seyfo and Ismaila Bah, all natives of Faraba village, died of gunshot wounds after they clashed with riot police who used live bullets.

Speaking to The Standard, Fatoumata Bah, a sister to one of the victims (Ismaila Bah), said her brother swept his own house yesterday and never returned alive.
In between sobs, she said: “I want to die and follow my brother. I cannot bear it anymore! How can they kill my brother who had no weapon and was harmless? The PIU shot him dead.”

Mba Jai Sanyang, a witness to the fatal clash that also left many seriously injured, explained: “We went out to stop the trucks of Julakay from taking the sand and all of a sudden PIU officials shot us with live bullets. They followed people in their houses, tortured and arrested many youth and insulted our parents.”
The distraught lady added:”We are asking the government, is it the right of the PIU whose mandate is to protect lives to turn against their own mandate and kill?”
Sira Jibba, another witness, said: “Is this why we voted for President Adama Barrow? We voted for him to protect our human rights, our lives and our properties but what we are experiencing today in Faraba is quite the opposite.”

Aja Sanyang, another witness, told The Standard that they voted Jammeh out because they wanted their rights and dignity back. “But this is opposite. PIU officials came and met my mother sitting at the compound gate and asked her to get inside. While she was trying to get in, they started insulting her. Police are here to protect us but not take our lives. One of the people they killed was standing right beside me but because I understand guns, upon hearing ‘hold…meh’, I quickly moved because I knew they would pull the trigger.

But they shot him dead. They kept saying ‘today is to kill them all…these bad people’. Should an individual business of Julakay make the PIU kill people? They were using live bullet rounds, shooting people,” she said.
Mamma Kandeh, leader of the opposition Gambia Democratic Congress, GDC who swiftly appeared at the scene, told The Standard that he would call a press conference to address the many issues that the government is silent about.

“They should talk…They should take the leadership action and make sure that we all understand that there is a government that is representing every individual and not representing a few. You cannot protect the interest of an individual against that of an entire community. It is not just possible. It is the law that says the PIU should protect lives and properties; that is why they have been recruited as security personnel. They have no right to insult anybody and in fact no right to torture,” Kandeh said.
The GDC leader stressed that the PIU should have other means of calming the situation without using live bullets on people.

However after the GDC leader left, the temporary truce ended abruptly as the angry youths went on a burning rampage setting alight compounds of elders they accused of conniving with the sand mining company. The compounds of Jamba Wurry Sanyang, Bakary Saidy and two others were burnt to ashes. The youths also burned the offices of the mining compound, a caterpillar and two trucks.
There were unconfirmed reports that a third civilian died of his injuries.

http://standard.gm/site/2018/06/19/piu-shoots-2-dead-in-faraba/

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  18:18:21  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This from a French news source:

"Three police officers thought to have been involved in the shooting dead of three demonstrators in the Gambian mining town of Faraba Banta have been arrested,"
===================================================================================================
Gambia-Security
Gambia: Police officers arrested over bloody demo

June 19, 2018 to 12:18 43

APA-Banjul (The Gambia)

Three police officers thought to have been involved in the shooting dead of three demonstrators in the Gambian mining town of Faraba Banta have been arrested, according to a statement by the Office of the President on Tuesday.
[Img : Gambia: Police officers arrested over bloody demo]

The President’s Office did not name the officers in custody over Monday’s bloody standoff between demonstrators and a detachment of the Police Intervention Unit (PIU).

Three demonstrators were shot dead while demonstrating against sand-mining operations in the town of Faraba Banta, 50km south of the capital Banjul.

Several of them and a journalist covering the unrest were arrested but later released.

Residents of the town say such operations which began last year, threaten environmental degradation which could adversely affect farmlands in that largely agrarian community.

Since Monday’s disturbances, President Adama Barrow has issued a directive suspending all mining activities in The Gambia until further notice.

The Gambian leader who called for calm Tuesday morning visited the Edward Francis Small Teaching Hospital in Banjul where some protesters and police officers injured in the clashes are admitted.

He promised thorough investigations into the Faraba Banta shootings.

Meanwhile, the Inspector General of Police has denied issuing any instruction to his men to use live ammunition to deal with the protesters.

AS/APA

http://apanews.net/en/news/gambia-police-officers-arrested-over-bloody-demo

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  19:28:49  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
“Five Police Officers have been arrested and their services suspended while investigations are being carried out. The officers are two Field Commanders – Superintendent Baboucarr Cham and ASP Musa Fatty and three other ranks – Nuha Colley, Momodou S. Jallow and Musa Badjie.

Six civilians in the persons of Ousman Jassey, Sunkaru Jarju, Bakary Badjie, Salifu Darboe and Modou Kujabi were also arrested. Efforts are currently underway to grant them bail.“

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2018 :  12:45:40  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Police: IGP did not authorise use of fire arms

The Point: Tuesday, June 19, 2018

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/police-igp-did-not-authorise-use-of-fire-arms

The Office of the Inspector General of Police has stated that it did not authorize the use of fire arms and will investigate the circumstances that led to this unfortunate.

In a press release sent to this medium, the police said: “The Office of The Inspector General of Police wishes to bring to the attention of the General Public that in the early hours of 18th June 2018, residents of Faraba Banta and personnel of The Gambia Police Force were involved in a clash that led to the regrettable death of Bakary Kujabi and Ismaila Bah and injury to several others.”

“The Office of the Inspector General of Police wishes to make it clear that it did not authorize the use of fire arms and will investigate the circumstances that led to this unfortunate incident.”

The press release further added that the Office of the Inspector General of Police wishes to express sincere condolences to the bereaved families and promise that appropriate action will be taken.

“The community of Faraba Banta is hereby urged to keep the peace, be law abiding and refrain from violence while investigations are launched,” the release concluded.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2018 :  14:20:38  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
VP: Gov’t establishes commission to investigate Faraba incident

The Point: Wednesday, June 20, 2018

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/vp-govt-establishes-commission-to-investigate-faraba-incident

The vice president of the Republic of The Gambia, Her Excellency Aja Fatoumatta Jallow-Tambajang has disclosed the government of the government has established an independent commission of inquiry to investigate the Faraba Bantang issue.

In an interview with reporters shortly after she was summoned in a closed-door meeting with lawmakers over the Faraba Bantang incident in which lives were lost, the VP said that whosoever is guilty of killing innocent people will face the full force of the law.

She added that neither the president nor any government official (s) would condone such form of violence. She made it clear that nobody had given command for the use of fire arms and life bullets

VP Jallow-Tambajang further stated that the commission will look into radical causes, circumstances leading to the deaths and causalities regarding the Faraba Bantang incident.

“When the Faraba incident happens yesterday, the president immediately called for an emergency meeting with the stakeholders concerned such as the CDS, IGP, secretary general and myself to express his sadness about the incident,” she said

Shortly after their meeting with President Barrow, she said they sent press releases at different levels ranging from the Interior Ministry, the IGP as well as Office of the President.

“The president acknowledged the fact that he is the father of the nation and that whatever happens in this country, he takes it at heart and shows that justice is done,” she said of President Barrow. “We are going to investigate to know the root cause of the incident and come out with a solution,” she said.

The vice president finally said that the Gambian leader has made it clear that he would not tolerate violence, adding they would investigate and come out with solution.

Author: Arfang M.S. Camara

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11508 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2018 :  14:22:22  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barrow condemns Faraba killings as he visits victims at hospital

The Point: Wednesday, June 20, 2018

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/barrow-condemns-faraba-killings-as-he-visits-victims-at-hospital

President Adama Barrow on Tuesday morning visited the victims who were hospitalised following the Faraba incident that claimed two lives. The President visited those who were injured during the clash with the police in their community on Monday.

The men are currently admitted at the country’s major hospital, Edward Francis Small Teaching Hospital (EFSTH) in Banjul.

The Monday incident sparked a wave of panic in the country which show a colossal destruction of properties at the village following the residents’ demand for explanation on how a construction company called Julakay acquired licence to conduct sand mining in their community. Two people were allegedly killed in the incident by the Police Intervention Union (PIU) officers.

President Barrow condemned the killing, saying it is against everything that “we” fought for as a nation. He promised that his government would apply the full force of the law to ensure justice and accountability. “I assure that such will never be repeated under my watch.”

Junior Police Intervention Officers who were deployed to the scene have also said they are disappointed in their commanders who ordered them to fire live bullets and now running away from the responsibility.

It is not yet confirmed who ordered the use of fire arms but the presidency on Monday announced that investigation has begun to gather facts about what led to the clash and who authorised the shooting.

Author: Amadou Jallow

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06