Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Education Forum
 Education
 Gambia first Journalism School inaugurated
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  09:26:53  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Gambia Gets First Ever Journalism School

SOURCE: Maafanta.com News

"Gambia Gets First Ever Journalism School

The National Training Authority (NTA) on 11 March 2013 formally accredited the GPU School of Journalism to provide journalism education in the country, an unprecedented development in a country that has never had a formal structure for journalism education. Under the terms and conditions of its licence, the GPU School of Journalism is mandated to offer journalism education up to a diploma level within the framework of the Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) in The Gambia. The NTA is the body responsible for the regulation of TVET in The Gambia.

Poor Training Weakens Professionalism
Because of the lack of a journalism school, most of the working journalists in the country are either without a formal education in journalism or professional training. The few who have the requisite qualifications or training have been educated abroad. Newcomers to the media have sporadic opportunities of mastering basic journalism as well as being updated on international developments in professional methods, standards, technologies. The upshot is that journalists in The Gambia are despised as join-the-lists, an epithet that suggests incompetence.

The Turning Point
However, with the coming into being of the GPU School of Journalism, Gambian journalism is now poised to redeem itself and entrench professionalism finally. The school has its roots in a two-year Danida-funded pilot project that ran from 2010 to 2012. Known as the Professional Reporter Programme (PRP), the pilot project sought to raise standards of Gambian journalism up to international level. Under the tutelage of senior Danish journalists and local experts, 12 trainees graduated in February 2012 to rapturous acclaim across the country and beyond. (Please visit http://www.gambiamediasupport.org/?page_id=533)

A Revolution
Unlike other training opportunities that had been offered in the country previously, the PRP provided depth and scope, coherence and system, innovation and creativity in its curriculum, pedagogy and methodology, thus positioning itself as a model for journalism education in the country. Because of its eclectic and practical nature, the PRP was lauded as “a revolution” in journalism education in The Gambia.

A Thorough Education
The GPU School of Journalism naturally builds on the PRP’s pedigree that follows a triple path: teaching journalism and media specialization along with general knowledge, analytical skills and English language skills. The education combines classroom sessions, distance learning and actual journalism production for print and radio on various development issues such as health, climate change, agriculture and poverty, public policy and public administration, the law and the legal system. Students receive a thorough education in:
  • Core reporting skills; analytic skills; journalism training skills; English language skills; ICT skills; proactive news reporting; interviewing techniques; research methodology; spot reportage; feature writing; public and development communication; newsroom management, ethical journalism; journalism and society; narrative journalism; investigative journalism; and production skills.

• The education applies media theories to day-to-day practice, teaching how to meet the needs of the readers, listeners, or viewers and to set their agenda. Students specialize in either print or radio, but they also learn core skills in other media such as photojournalism and online journalism.

• Students have free access to a fully air-conditioned state-of-the-art computer laboratory equipped with 15 personal computers and 12 laptop computers with a WiFi facility in addition to a modern studio for hands-on training in radio journalism.

• Students are coached and mentored by a seasoned and dedicated faculty comprising Mr Marcel Thomasi, BA English, MA English (Leeds University) who is the head of the English Department; Mrs Raphina Almeida BA, MA (SOAS, United Kingdom), head of the Academic Section. Others include Mr Samuel Osseh Sarr BSc Hons Mathematics and Physics, Mr Hassoum Ceesay BA, MA History (University of The Gambia), Mr Madi Jobarteh BA Linguistics (University of Ghana), Lars Moller, Peter Kramholf, Flemming Seiersen, and Irmelin Viegas, Jesper Kjems, all graduates of the world-famous Danish School of Journalism.

Proof Positive
The avalanche of applications that flooded the GPU Secretariat for the 2013/2015 academic session is proof positive of the relevance of this brand of journalism education. At least 100 applicants fought fiercely for only 20 available spots. Through a three-tiered selection process (a motivation statement, spelling out explicit arguments for attending the course; an entrance examination comprising 100 multiple-choice questions, a writing skills test and a analytic test; and then an oral interview), the top 20 candidates (at least eight females) were offered admission to begin their journalism education with zest and faith. While the current students receive full remission of tuition fees because the programme is still funded by Danida, subsequent enrolments will attract a tuition fee to be determined by the governing board in due course.

An Autonomous Board
The governing board of the school is composed of representatives of civil society, the private sector, the media, the government, and is autonomous of The Gambia Press Union. Its chairperson is Mr Almamy Fanding Taal, executive director of The Gambia Chamber of Commerce & Industry who doubles as the chairperson of The Gambia Agency for Management of Public Works. Other members include the secretary general of the UNESCO Office in Gambia (National Commission for UNESCO); the director of Information Services at the Ministry of Information and Communications Infrastructure; Dr Isatou Touray, executive director of Gamcotrap, a women’s rights organisation; the president of The Gambia Press Union, among others."

Edited by - kobo on 19 Mar 2013 09:28:55

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  18:55:56  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message

On-going interactions/opinions posted on the Press Release for first Journalism School from Jollof News and with courtesy on these impressive QUOTES NOTED from it, culled forward
quote:
#4 Mike Scales 2013-03-19 18:47
1. "The list of experienced and credible tutors in this laudable initiative are highly commendable.

However, I would ask how Gambia can further the accomplishment of such ambition...within the restriction of excessive media repressive laws.?

Is this purely a home grown exercise to fit only the Gambia...when elsewhere in Africa and the free world...freedom of speach and expression are much more liberal/universal.

International credit for any outstanding contribution to humanity...must transend borders."

#5 hanson 2013-03-19 21:39
2. "Conditions on the ground are not ripe for such school,since there's no Tolerant Democracy or Respect for the rule of law in that country.the standard of journalism and media reporting biased and misleading"

Edited by - kobo on 20 Mar 2013 21:26:05
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  15:40:24  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Foroyaa News: Published on Thursday March 21, 2013;

1. QUOTE OF THE WEEK

""There are two types of knowledge seekers; those who seek knowledge for its sake and those who seek knowledge as a guide of living." –Halifa Sallah
The Driver and Policeman
A man was going home alone at night in his car; he got to a check point.

The policeman stopped him and asked for everything which he gave out, the police had nothing to ask again, in order to charge him, guess what the policeman said; “I charge you for driving alone at this time of the day, if you get an accident now who will tell your people?”

The man replied: “I’m not alone, Jesus Christ is with me here, Angel Gibriel, Angel Rapheal and five angels are with me too.

The policeman said: “All these people inside this small car? I charge you for overloading!”

Momodou Salieu Jallow St. Augustine SSS
Good Teacheers
Good Teachers
Are those teach who teach their students to learned earlier that the bullies are easier to tick

Good Teachers
Are those who teach their student to sell their brawn and brain to the highest bidders; but they never teaches them to put their price tag on their heart and soul.

Good Teachers
Are those who teach as well as they can. The wonder of the book………… but also gives the students quit time to ponder over the eternal mystery of birds in the sky, bees on the sun and the flowers on a green hillsides.

Good Teachers
Are those, whom we cannot pay, as the prophet said; “Whoever teaches me even a letter is my father if he wants he can enslave me, and can even kill me” Foday Ebrima Jabbie

My Passion for Journalism
Excellence is an Art that requires consistence in terms of practice. If am excellent in small things, then am a potential candidate for bigger ones.

Fate has put me in the lowest stratum of the life profile but I strive, against the backdrop of unremitting 'external' disturbance because I choose journalism as a career.

In their quest to scare me away, they associate so many risks to it, magnify my problems and to crown it, they say journalists are paid on pittance.

If only 'cash' is what attracts me, I swear on my life I would have enriched myself by now because there are ample ways to get rich.

But if I can’t be anything in the field of journalism, then I rather join kingdom Animalia because I cannot even sweep talk less of some supposedly difficult office works.

But without bragging, I can write and am going to show my detractors how good Talibeh is with a pen in his right hand and a notebook in his left.

Talibeh Hydara For your comments, articles, stories and poems; Call/text: 3820024. E-mail: profjabai@yahoo.com"

Edited by - kobo on 22 Mar 2013 15:45:47
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  06:34:25  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. MFWA to ‘Name and Shame’ Countries with Bad Conditions of Freedom of Expression
SOURCE:
The Daily News:Published on Monday, 25 March 2013
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06