Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Education Forum
 History
 Has the Jolas become the 3rd largest ethnic group
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janyanfara

Tanzania
1350 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  20:33:14  Show Profile Send Janyanfara a Private Message
I saw this and was asking myself has the writer made some mistake? The writer did not even seem to know the origin of some ethnic communities in my opinion. What do you think?

Ethnic groups of the Gambia and their origin

Mandinka
In the 14th century, the (Manding) Mali Empire of Mali – established by Mandinka, Sundiata Keita, leader of the Malinké people – encompassed the areas from the edge of the Sahara to the forests of the south in what is now Liberia and Sierra Leone. From East to West, it covered all the regions between Takedda beyond the Niger Buckle covering Senegambia on the Atlantic Ocean..................................By the middle of the 15th century a group of Mandingos drifted into the area of the Gambia River basin and with them came Islam. The Mandinksa make up the majority of the population being the largest tribe to settle in the Gambia, the majority of which live in the provinces, upper and central river division.

Wollof
Are an ethnic group found in North Senegal, Mauritania and The Gambia, making up about 15% of the population, yet Wolof language and culture have a disproportionate influence because of their prevalence in the capital Banjul, where 50% of the population are Wolof.

Jola
Are the next largest community living in the Gambia, their people are believed to have pre-dated Mande and Fula peoples to the riverine coast of Senegambia, and may have migrated into Casamance before the 13th century.

Though the origin of the Jolas is still unknown, it is now confirmed by both oral and written history that they are the people who have been longest resident in the Gambia and among the indigenous people of the Senegambian region. Jola in Mandinka means to “pay your dues” Traditionally the women tend the fields and grow crops while men tap Palm Wine and Palm Oil.

Fula
Are traditionally a nomadic, pastoralist, trading people, herding cattle, goats and sheep across the vast dry hinterlands of their domain, keeping somewhat separate from the local agricultural populations. Their tribe can be found as far north as Mauritania, all over West and central Africa and as far east as Sudan.

The Fula people form a minority in every country they live, but in Guinea they represent a plurality of the population (40%). In the Gambia they are often found as local trades, commonly the corner shop will be known as the “Fula shop”.

Sarahuli
Are Mandé people who descend from the Belfour and are closely related to the Imraguen of Mauritania. They were the founders of the ancient empire of Ghana c. 750-1240 CE) The settlers in Gambia are a minority group who live mainly in the up river division.
Traditionally their people are traders, they are renowned as being successful business people, many are property owners and diamond dealers.

Aku
Originated from Freetown, Sierra Leone, some still live in the area of George town where they had been resettled after the days of slavery as there was no way of knowing where they had originally been taken from. The Aku language which is still spoken in West Africa developed from the early West African Pidgin English.
Some scholars also argue that African slaves took this language to the New World where it helped give rise to the English-based creoles that developed there, including the Gullah language in coastal South Carolina and Georgia, Bahamian Dialect, Jamaican Creole, Belizean Kriol, Guyanese Creole, Sranan Tongo.

Manjago
Are an ethnic group in Guinea-Bissau. Which have migrated to south Gambia They are known as Manjaku by the Manjacks themselves, Ndiago by the Wolofs, Manjaco by the Portuguese, and Manjaque by the French. Each of these terms means “I tell you” Their trade by tradition is typically Palm Wine and Palm Oil tappers.

Serere
Are the third largest ethnic group in Senegal, also present in Mauritania and The North bank of Gambia they are predominantly Fishermen by trade and their principal sport played is wrestling.

toubab1020

12236 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  21:07:09  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Janyanfara are you able to provide a link to where you obtained this information "Ethnic groups of the Gambia and their origin" ?
I should be interested to read more of what the author wrote to be able to give my opinion, as you have done,being an outsider here and non Gambian I might view things differently,but without a link I and others are unable to take part in any debate,and are disadvantaged,by not having access to the information that you found.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 11 Mar 2012 21:08:56
Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  22:24:22  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
The reason that there is no correct statistic on tribe and ethnicity in Gambia is that there are no tribes or ethnic groups but language groups.
This, in my opinion shows that tribe and ethnicity are colonial vocabularies. …… this is not blaming colonialism but setting the record right.

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy

Edited by - Janko on 13 Mar 2012 22:26:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06