Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 I think you had better leave !
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  16:33:38  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
This from The Point,I should have thought that it was more like theft than a scam ,but its good news that something has been discovered and acted upon I find it hard to understand that these people have been dismissed, I would have thought that they should go to Court on specimin charges at least,but I suspect that there is a story lurking in the background, this is why the decision was taken,Anyway good job.
(Couldn't be a case of attitudinal change I suppose ? )

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/over-d88000-revenue-boost-for-bac-following-discovery-of-financial-scam

Over D88,000 revenue boost for BAC, following discovery of scam
africa » gambia
Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A financial statement submitted by the newly set up team of revenue collectors at the Basse Area Council (BAC) has revealed a huge surplus of D88, 360 in revenue collected during the month of July.

The statement, which comes in the wake of a series of scams discovered at the council recently, was submitted by the task force committee, led by Amadou Manneh during the council's last monthly meeting.

According to the statement, the new task force collected an amount of D113, 360, compared to D24, 900 previously collected by the former revenue collectors, who were sent packing following the discovery of the scams.

Soma Jallow, Ba Omar Bah and Lamin Conteh were all sent packing for their failure to adhere to the stipulated rule laid down by the Basse Area Council, to deposit the revenue collected in a particular bank.

The full scale of the scam emerged following the trio's failure to abide by the council's instruction, adopted by the BAC councillors, for the revenue collected to be deposited in a particular bank account.

The surplus in revenue collection, according to BAC councillors, who spoke to this reporter, follows years of low revenue collection by former revenue collectors of the council.

BAC Chairman Omar Sampo Ceesay, speaking to this reporter in Basse, commended councillors for "the good work that resulted in the increment of revenue for the council."

Chairman Ceesay advised the new team of revenue collectors to continue the work already started by the task force. He advised them to desist from any malpractice that would result in financial loss for the council.
Author: Soury Camara in Basse

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 18 Aug 2010 16:36:23

Momodou

Denmark
11525 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  17:56:48  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Toubab,
Here is another report on the same story. Lets hope that the extra money collected will benefit the community and not spent on another party in Kanilie. Attitudes should definitely change.

----------

Basse Area Council New Tax Collection Team Exceeded Previous Monthly Revenue Collection By Over D88, 000
By Lamin Fatty on 18-08-10

An amount of eighty eight thousand three hundred and sixty dalasis (D88,360) revenue difference in revenue collection was experienced by the Basse Area Council following the submission of a financial statement by a task force constituted to collect revenue from the Basse Central market and the surrounding weekly markets (luumoos) across the URR in the month of July.

The tax collection team comprising the councilors headed by Mr. Amadou Manneh, Chairman of the finance sub committee, have submitted a total of one hundred and thirteen thousand, three hundred and sixty dalasis D113,360.00 as revenue collected in Basse market, Sare Bojo, Sabi, Gambisara, sare Ngai, Lamoi and Dingiring all weekly luumoos ( markets)in the month of July, as compared to the usual collection amounting to approximately twenty four thousand nine hundred D24,900 by the previous collectors.

Responding to the new development, the Chairman of Basse Area Council Mr. Omar Sompo Ceesay commended the efforts of the new tax collection team. Mr. Ceesay urged them to be steadfast and honest in their duties since the money is owned by the entire people of URR and needed to be put into good use. According to him council will put a constant eye on their future activities.

Source: Foroyaa Online

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  22:07:00  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
"Lets hope that the extra money collected will benefit the community and not spent on another party in Kanilie."

"You may well think that, I could not possibly comment"

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 18 Aug 2010 22:07:34
Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  23:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
BAC use to be one of the richest in the country, but the level of corruption from the cleaner on the street to the revenue collector down to the administrative staff has crippled it. An other reason of the fall in revenue is due to incompetence, employment at BAC has always been based on favoritism. Due to incompetent contractors under many years improvement projects have failed and keep on failing.

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy

Edited by - Janko on 18 Aug 2010 23:54:20
Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  10:31:09  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
Considering the level of poverty in the Gambia, as long as there is an opportunity to steal money, these people will continue to steal. Even the new team will eventually succumb to the pressure.
What is needed is a tight system that gives no room for stealing. They should device a system that as one business instructor put it, even if you bring a convicted thief from Mile II he won't be able to steal without getting caught immediately.
It is not enough to tell them to deposit the money in the bank. There should be a paper trail of accountability evey step of the way...
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  11:10:24  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Kay your posting gives an excellent description of the poverty problem,if you have nothing and are given the opportunity to get something by stealing then you are most likely to take it,paper trail and accountability ? very good suggestion BUT at the moment The Gambia is not ready for such an advanced system,maybe if attitudinal change does come about it could be implemented.Long Long way ahead.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06