Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 information about the Gambian railways
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  19:47:31  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
I would support your idea. The National Records office should be pro active by visiting homes and making copies of some photos they have and keep at the archives. They only kept pictures that weere in the hands of the colonial government.

There no pictures of social life. I rememeber the chewing sticks and tatoos women do on their lips.That was a big occassion in the villages when youg girls beautify themselves and announces the beginning of their coming of age. The wollof and Fulani women definetely looking wonderful, tall and slim.

You see njuks you are digging into to my romance now(laugh)

I never thought about that when i worked there. May be i will call this week and see if that is a good idea they will want to do. I would have voulutered if i were there. Atleast i can pay for a camera if they want to

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
Go to Top of Page

rah

117 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  19:56:21  Show Profile Send rah a Private Message
It's really nostalgic, this picture. Thanks brusubi. yeh,rah
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  20:00:00  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Infact i want to add something about the postcard. The tree in the background is a silk cotton tree which used to line the see side called Tefes. Now i dont think there are any left due to sea erosion.

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11513 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  01:11:46  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
This map 1909 map is from Jede. Some of the information on the map cant be seen after the compression of the file the this size but the original size is too large to be published here. The original version can be downloaded here 2.1 MB but will be deleted by the weekend.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  01:24:12  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
Thanks momodou

From the map, it straetched from half die point, through old customs, to colonial hospital to the cemetry. That area is now under water. The time when the grave yard was started, the sea was mmiles away and now the grave yard is 90% in the sea.

You sometimes find human bones on the beach. It is a sorry site. I think they are working to save the rest of the land left.

Go to Top of Page

Jack

Belgium
384 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  09:06:59  Show Profile Send Jack a Private Message
Thnx Momodou. Jede
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06