Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 Waste Management.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  17:42:59  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Not perhaps so interesting as Politics or Religion,but vital for a nation,everyone here on bantaba knows that many parts of urban Gambia are little more than rubbish tips when one moves along the streets and sees the state of these places designed for people and vehicles to pass along.This UN funded programme is an important milestone in changing the way things are at present in The Gambia apart from job creation I hope it has a knock on effect in the general population:

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/60-youths-trained-on-waste-management-lit

60 youths trained on waste management, LIT

africa » gambia
Friday, June 11, 2010
The Gambia Technical Training Institute (GTTI), in partnership with the Gambia Agency for the Management of Public Works (GAMWORKS) on Tuesday completed a four-week training of twenty Gambian youths on Waste Management, with others being trained on Labour Intensive Technology.

The training, which is part of The Gambia government's youth empowerment programme was among others, aimed at imparting knowledge to unemployed Gambian youths with a view to creating employment opportunities for sustainable development.

Speaking at the graduation ceremony held at the GTTI premises, Mrs. Naffisatou Barry, the Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Trade, Regional Integration and Employment said that youth empowerment is in line with her ministry's top agenda.

According to her, the project's target is to train youths and women to become responsible persons in society. She revealed that a fund amounting to D5m is being available for her ministry, targeting youths in the country.

She advised the graduants to put the knowledge gained from the programme into good use, noting that more is in the pipeline.

For her part, the Director of the Gambia Technical Training Institute (GTTI), Mrs. Fatou Mbye said the graduation is yet another milestone in the development of the school.

She noted that the commencement of this project was not easy at all, as she put it, they face serious challenges during the negotiations.

She said the project, which is being sponsored by the GAMJOBS under the UN project, is managed by the Gambia Agency for the Management of Public Works (GAMWORKS).

Also, speaking at the occasion, on behalf of the Managing Director of GAMWORKS, Mr. Omar Gaye, the Director of Technical Services expressed similar sentiment.

Author: Bakary Samateh

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  17:55:09  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
THIS IS SO NEEDED, it is true, so much rubbish in other countries this rubbish would be sorted and sold on.

RECYCLING COULD BE A GOOD BUSINESS IN GAMBIA
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  18:08:06  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Jambo,Recycling IS carried on in The Gambia, there are traders in Scrap Metal,empty drinks cans, broken car parts made of aluminium,empty cement bags, empty rice sacks,strapping on impoted bales, coverings from imported bales of clothes,cardboard,bottles glass,in fact most things are recycled and sold on,even rice that is scraped from peoples plates is collected and fed to pigs (only for the Christians to eat )it is only the waste that cannot be recycled that ends up at the tip, even there there are people searching for the little recyclable materials that may have slipped through the net.Plastic bags are perhaps the worst problem ,as you know a lot of plastic bags are used to carry shopping to contail cooking oil, rice and lots of other things, there is no means of recycling this stuff as yet because there are so many forms of plastic bags made from different chemical make up that seperation into one type is almost impossible at the moment,therefore no market exists

quote:
Originally posted by jambo

THIS IS SO NEEDED, it is true, so much rubbish in other countries this rubbish would be sorted and sold on.

RECYCLING COULD BE A GOOD BUSINESS IN GAMBIA

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  19:27:24  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
perhaps, but some of the areas i go to look like tips, it does not take much to clear the mess outside your compound, i go to area like nuimi, jufreh, there is trash all alonge the road side, who is cleaning that up.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2010 :  20:05:28  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Jambo,you know the answer,nobody !,along the river bank in Barra there are hundreds and hundreds of plastic bags and stuff that has !. been thrown into the sea by others and washed up in Barra banks and 2 the people of Barra seem to like Barra the way it is scruffy dirty,but so full of potential,The Barra hotel for example,closed due to the filthy conditions that existed there for guests,and it was closed by The Gambian Authorities themselves, so at least they are trying.

quote:
Originally posted by jambo

perhaps, but some of the areas i go to look like tips, it does not take much to clear the mess outside your compound, i go to area like nuimi, jufreh, there is trash all alonge the road side, who is cleaning that up.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 11 Jun 2010 20:07:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06