Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 The Missing Links
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2010 :  16:54:29  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Dailynews Editorial: The Missing Links
Apr 15, 2010

It goes without saying that the recent launching of the book “Kairaba” depicting the life and times of the former president, Sir Dawda Kairaba Jawara, has been by far, one of the most important events in our country’s history.

The event could only be compared to the years of 1965 and 1970 when the country attained independence and republican status respectively.

The occasion pointed to a lot of “Firsts” in the political evolution of The Gambia. It has been the first time that The Gambia experienced a change of government albeit military; the first time any politician has written his or her autobiography; the first time for that matter that any Gambian has written about the political evolution of The Gambia before and after the attainment of Independence and beyond. The first time the current president has put on record that he had nothing against Jawara as a person when he overthrew his government.

We are therefore of the opinion that the importance of the event cannot be overemphasized. Despite the national nature of this life time event there were so many notable absentees – the missing links.

We are constrained at this point to make any valid conclusions as we are not privileged to know whether or not the opposition parties were invited to this all important occasion. If invitation was extended to this political class their failure to attend the event was a monumental error on their part.

It is better late than never that we draw lines between party and national events in the interest of national reconciliation. Do not tell us you will buy copies of the book for your various libraries. Why could you not have made your presence felt by talking part in the auction like the others did? Monetary considerations are not the issue here. It’s like how can you buy a book at Ten thousand dalasis (D10000.00) that costs Nine hundred and fifty dalasis (D950.00) at most?

The other missing link was the absence of our so-called praise singers. Most of these people who sing the praises of the current leader were the same people who were doing the same for the former president in almost equal measure. Who stopped them from gracing the occasion?

We at this juncture we salute the likes of Alhagie Tamba Suso, Jali Saikou Saho and his spouses for being there. The guests were seated for over two hours before the programme got underway and these griots were at hand to entertain the gathering during this time.

References were made to both the present and former presidents. Except for these missing links the occasion we must emphasis was second to none. The author rightly referred to the occasion as a lunch plus. The presence of all stakeholders would have made it a launch-extraordinary. What we need most in this country is reconciliation. What forum could have provided this more than this auspicious occasion? We hope we practice what we preach. A stitch in time serves nine.

Source: Dailynews

Related topic: http://www.gambia.dk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8962

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  11:39:10  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
As important as it was, I do not think a book launch by an ex-president actually qualifies as a national event or a state function, despite Jammeh's patronage and seal of stamp. It is a private event, although the author, Sir Dawda and his book, are important FIRSTS in Gambian history.
It is good and perhaps sufficient that the private press, and a cross section of the society, were invited and actually all of them attended including Foroyaa newspaper which is affiliated to PDOIS and NADD opposition parties.
If the opposition were invited specifically, its all good; otherwise I doubt there is any real national obligation to attend the ex-President's book launch.

Edited by - kayjatta on 16 Apr 2010 11:42:47
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12241 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  12:31:32  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Kay,this book launch must be one of the proudest moments in the life of Sir Dawda who is getting no younger lets face it, and to have the approval of H.E. must be a plus,maybe this event can be the beginning of a new chapter for H.E. himself and that he realises that things MUST change in The Gambia.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  12:43:09  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
That is correct Toubab. We hope so although Jammeh, considering the nature and the source of his power, is not likely to change much.
Hey it is time for 'Presidential face-off' for the upcoming elections in the UK. Are you looking forward to the big debates, Toubab? You got to love politics this time...

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12241 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  13:23:20  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

Kay sorry to disappoint you until politicians are made to take responsibility for their actions and forced to tell the truth and carry out their election pledges within the 5 year parlimentary term I am afraid that I stick by the words in my signature.P.S. No I didnt watch it )

quote:
Originally posted by kayjatta

That is correct Toubab. We hope so although Jammeh, considering the nature and the source of his power, is not likely to change much.
Hey it is time for 'Presidential face-off' for the upcoming elections in the UK. Are you looking forward to the big debates, Toubab? You got to love politics this time...

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

kayjatta

2978 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  14:50:23  Show Profile Send kayjatta a Private Message
, I thought very much so.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06