Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Halifa Sallah On the Launching of his book etc...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11525 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  19:02:30  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Interview With Halifa Sallah
On the Launching of his book, The Way forward for Gambian Politics

Foroyaa: We received information regarding the Launching of your book at the African Caribbean Centre in Leicester, UK on 23 of February. Why UK?

Halifa: Sylvester Williams was the first to host a Pan African Conference in 1900. It is symbolic that the African Caribbean Citizens Forum is behind the launch of the most authoritative work I have ever written on African Unity and Pan Africanism, at the African Caribbean Centre in Leicester, in collaboration with Gambians in the Diaspora, who will introduce themselves at the event.

Foroyaa: When will the Launching take place in the Gambia?

Halifa: I will start to circulate some copies on Tuesday, 12 February to prepare for the launch of the book in The Gambia. A launching Committee of progressive personalities will be set up to prepare for the occasion. It will receive enough publicity. Academia will be given sharp focus in the launch. A copy will be given to the Vice Chancellor of the University of the Gambia and the Chairperson of the Governing Council for review. They are at liberty to endorse or give a critical review of the content. The various departments of the University will also be approached for them to participate in the launch. Academics of all shades shall be identified and a copy of the book given for review. The general public can start purchasing copies at the People’s Centre in Churchill Town, starting from Wednesday 13 February. I would want each of the African Heads of State and also the African Parliament to get a copy.
On Tuesday, I will start to send a copy to the Gambian Head of State with a request for his technical experts to study the content and tell the nation whether my proposals for a Federation of African States and the nature of the  union government  are realistic or not. He or his technical adviser would have the liberty to criticise or endorse the content of the book at the launch. The Book launch is tentatively scheduled for 24 April 2008, so that those who wish  to participate  would have enough time to read and digest the content.
The book is proposing direct election of members of the Pan African Parliament and its endorsement with legislative and other enhanced powers. These proposals require review. I shall submit a copy to the Speaker, the Majority and Minority Leaders of the National Assembly and all members of the Pan African Parliament from The Gambia for review by those five members. They will also have the liberty to criticise or endorse the content at the launching.
The book deals with the African Court of Justice and proposes an extension in the jurisdiction of the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights to include matters pertaining to  the trial of cases pertaining to war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity. A copy shall be given to the Chief Justice, The Bar association, The African Commission and The African Centre for review. They will have the liberty to criticise or endorse the proposals at the Launching. The book calls for a robust food and agro-industrial base for the continent which will pioneer the drive for the supply of all food in African supermarkets, in particular, and that which is consumed by the people at large to originate from the continent. The book calls  for Continental private sector and public sector  initiatives and private /public partnerships supported by a robust African Central Bank capable of intervening like other banks in developed countries to stabilize currencies and interest rates, stimulate demand and  promote financial integration and monetary Union; robust African Monetary Fund which will stimulate the movement of goods and services in the continent and thus promote economic integration;  a robust investment bank which shall be able to launch its own financial facility to support continental enterprises to promote raw material production, manufacturing and finally machine building  so that Africa can trade without being at a disadvantage in the world.
The book made proposals on how to put an end to unfair trade. A copy will be given to SoS for Finance, the Governor of the Central Bank, The Chamber of Commerce, The Chief Executives of Banks and other business establishments for review of how their various sectors would function under a united Africa. They are at liberty to criticise or endorse the book at the launching. The book has identified civil society segments as major partners in promoting civic awareness and enhancing the capacity of the African People to take part in discussions and decisions which affect their very lives. A copy will be given to TANGO as an apex institution for civil society segments and the Media establishments. They will be at liberty to do their own review and criticise or endorse the proposals. 
Women and Youth organisations shall be given copies to review and they will be at liberty to state their opinion. The political parties will also be given copies for review. The party in office will be at liberty to endorse or differ with the proposals. The opposition will be at liberty to indicate whether they would or would not have adopted the proposals if they were at the helm.
Copies shall also be given to embassies and some religious and traditional leaders.

Foroyaa: It does appear that no one is excluded.

Halifa: This is about Africa. No one should be excluded. All of us should take part in the debate. In fact, a Conference is supposed to take place in Dakar on the Union Government and State as well as the EU-ACP partnership agreements to which I am invited. I will see how many Heads of State I would be able to meet there. My target is to launch the book in Ghana and then visit as many African countries as possible and the African Diaspora to promote the ideas.

Foroyaa: Now, let us come nearer to home. How do you see the Local Government elections and what is the way forward to put an end to political apathy?

Halifa: In my interview with The Point after my return, I indicated that given the fact that the councils were stripped of all autonomy, it was best to transform the election into a referendum on the popularity of the APRC administration. This, I said, could have been done by encouraging and supporting genuine independent candidates to take over as many seats as possible. This would have been easier since all supporters of opposition parties, some supporters of the APRC who are dissatisfied and other independent voters could have been mobilised to cast protest votes.
First and foremost, the fact that 8 independent candidates won is a confirmation that there is a fertile ground for political change if the right tactics and strategies are adopted.
The voter apathy still had the same effect of showing the unpopularity of the APRC administration. The  party’s mayoral candidate had 4600 votes out of 19000 votes in Banjul and 19000 votes out of 128 000 votes in the Kanifing Municipality.

Foroyaa: The opposition did not fare any better, did it?

Halifa: Of course, the results, 1000 votes for the UDP in Banjul and 8000 in KMC, are extremely low.

Foroyaa: What then is the way forward?

Halifa: We have four years ahead of us before the next election .The fact that the people can ignore the dictates of the APRC and support an independent candidate is a confirmation that the people could be inspired to look at the merits of candidates. This gives people hope that if the right candidates are put up by parties or stand as independent candidates the people may decide to focus on the person and cast their vote to ensure victory. Hence opposition parties should continue with their reforms to become more credible and individuals who believe that they can inspire unity and hope should also play their role. I strongly hold that the way of the future for the opposition is to have primaries as means of checking the popularity of candidates. How to introduce this in The Gambia should be a major priority if we want to put an end to voter apathy. The people should know who and what they are voting for. They should hear those who wish to lead them debate on fundamental issues.
Finally, it is clear that President Jammeh would have been in office for 17 years by the time of the next election. If I were in his shoes, I would have introduced a term limit and then pioneer constitutional and electoral reform so that the people would participate in a free and fair election to select a new leader. In my view, what a leader cannot do in 17 years, cannot likely be done in another 17 years.

Source: Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues
Issue No. 18/2007, 11 – 12 February 2008

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06