Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 Attitudinal Change
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

anna

Netherlands
730 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  10:45:38  Show Profile Send anna a Private Message
I would like to add my congratulations too, Sister! I sincerely hope your marriage will bring you all you could wish for and that it will forever be a secure and safe haven from the turbulent and sometimes harsh world we live in. Nothing like coming home to a warm, loving and beautiful Gambian, i know.

When an old African dies, it is as if a whole library has burnt down.
Amadou Hampate Ba (Mali)
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  11:34:14  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Congrats Sister! You came with honey spirit, much refreshing ideas and with new look on your threads/recent Bantaba debates from your honeymoon!

We are one big family in our beloved tiny nation, therefore POLITICS, DIVIDE & RULE POLICIES should not divide us. Lets sing along our national anthem to inspire us the kind of Gambia we need to chart for generations to generations and for Gambia to live forever until Africa unite:-

"For The Gambia! Our Homeland!
We strive! Work! & Pray! That All May Live in Unity! Freedom & Peace Each day!
An join Our Diverse Peoples' To Proof Mans' Brotherhood!
Let Justice Guide Our Actions Towards The Common Good!"

May we have many more honeymoons!

Best wishes!

Edited by - kobo on 05 Nov 2007 11:38:31
Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
660 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  16:13:30  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Omega

There is a growing consensus in Africa that the old system of family members taking it easy whilst other hardworking successful members of the family provide for them needs to change.

The custom of relying onsuccessful family members to provide for the rest of the extended family is outdated and that more people should be encouraged to work become self-sufficient.

What happens if the successful family member is not successful any more? Everybody gets angry.
My Gambian friend has been out of work for a long time and has no money to send. His wife is angry. His mother is angry. His wife´s mother is even more angry. His brothers doesn´t work. His nephew asks for another five thousand for school fee as she always fail in her examination. His wife stopped working as her husband in Sweden is supposed to send her money.
My friend is exhausted and absent-minded and in sorry mood. He doesn´t sleep, he doesn´t eat.
Early in the morning he said good bye and will be landing on Gambian soil in any minute now. “Karimo”, will you ever come back?

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

serenata

Germany
1400 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2007 :  17:08:16  Show Profile Send serenata a Private Message
Sister Omega, just read that you married in Gambia. CONGRATULATIONS! May your marriage be happy!
Go to Top of Page

Moe

USA
2326 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  20:37:07  Show Profile Send Moe a Private Message
Sister O, CONGRATULATIONS i also just read you got married.Tell you what,now that we know you are what you have always been a "sister in cyberspace" wishing you good health, mind, body and soul and a promising marriage is the least i wish for ya. Personally speaking over the years you've proven to be wiser than many and easily conveyed your point of view be it political or educational with class and style,I am impressed and will remain a firm reader of your articles cos i have learnt a lot from YOU. ...........Peace

I am Jebel Musa better yet rock of Gibraltar,either or,still a stronghold and a Pillar commanding direction

The GPU wants Me Hunted Down for what I don't know .....
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  21:48:52  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
Just caught up with the news. Congratulations. Did you have civil or Muslim wedding? How many years you been with the guy and how did you meet?

I wish you good health and lots of happiness.

I return to Gambia on Friday with students from Crowborough, West Sussex. Also my daughter is coming with me for the first time as she is 18 now and allowed to be on the trip.

I am very stressed with everything I have to do before the journey to Gatwick....but I am happy at the thought of seeing my friends, visitng the villages and walking on the beach with the lovely sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  00:27:45  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Greetings Everyone

Thank you all for your positive comments.

Peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  11:49:43  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
to go back to sister O postings, there is definately a time for change. I have met many families who are relying on "money from abroad", the work ethic is stagnate, why work when phone call brings money or 10th of every month money to western union?
as for self development, they want mobile phones and cars, before they pay school fees. I am always amazed at the number of gambians i meet on every trip who seem to supporting a small village, one told me if it was just her blood relations she would happily pay for school fees/college fees but it is the add ons that can be crippling, the wedding, the graduation, the roof, the shoes, the this and the that.
On her last trip she gave them all 200 euros and said that was it. result unhappy faces, but they all knew that they had to support themselves she was not a bottomless pit.
She was angry because they had wasted so much of the money they had received, she felt so long as she supported her mother and provided food the rest would survive.
how do you get the message to Gambians that life for their families outside the country can be hard.
any suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  18:00:38  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Jambo, its about giving a person a fishing rod rather than a fish. If those of us abroad assist family back home then it is much better for us to assist them with the means to help themselves, and make it plain to them we are not Central Bank, and to share with them realities of living where we live.

Peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06