Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 ARE YOU READING THIS?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  13:36:04  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
Hi Mr President are you reading this?

If this was a direct line to the president what would you say to him?

This is what I want to say:

Mr President,

I do respect some of the things you are doing in the Gambia for your people. The country is progressing in some ways, but there are things I would love to see happen more quickly and here is my list of wishes for Gambia:

1. Freedom of speech. People shouldnt be in fear of speaking their mind on any subject.
2. Honesty and accountability of all public sector workers. Public sector workers, including yourself, are accountable to the people. It is the peoples money you are responsible for spending. It should be done in the correct way and openly.
3. Free and fair voting systems with limited terms for key positions. 10 years maximum is my personal view.
4. Education. FREE nursery and primary education for all.
5. Food. FREE school meal for all children till 11 years old.
6. Work. Most people gaining meaning and self respect from working. The Gambian people are underutilised in their own country. They are the key resource for the countries future. Create apprenticeships in key skills that at the moment seem to be done by Senegalese people in Gambia. Plumbers, electricians, meccanics, hairdressers, tailors etc.
7. Small businesses. Give small governmentloans to people to start a business. People with initiative should reap the rewards of their work.
8. Tourism. Environmental tourism is going to be a big thing in the next few years. Encourage developments such as Footsteps at Gunjur. Put the breaks on Senegambia. Quality experiences in Gambia should be marketed. Tourists should be actively encouraged to go inland, so the benefits of income can be spread further afield.
9. Senegal/Cassame. Gambia needs to be very watchful of this situation. Gambia is known as a friendly peaceful country. If it gets associated with civil war the tourists will stop coming.
10.Electricity. For any serious long term developments the electricity supply needs to be reliable. This should be number 1 priority.

I would love to meet the President one day.

1:1 would be very interesting!

Sibo

Denmark
231 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  09:17:42  Show Profile Send Sibo a Private Message
Gambiabev
These are all good things that you are writing, but you need to be a little realistic. Do you really think that free primary school education is affordeble for the goverment? About work, let me tell you this: Most of the young people in Gambia do not want jobs like the ones you mentioned. They see themselves educated and too good for jobs like these. They would rather sit in a fancy office abd boss everyone around. I have cousins in Gambia who graduated from high school some just from secondary school and they are all sitting on their flat butts doing nothing.They are educated and jobs like these are for illetrated people. thats why the senegalese and the nagerians are taking all the jobs and developing their countries. I am not a fan of Jammeh government, but this is not their fault. Most young people in Gambia are just lazy, have no motivation and no ambition, and that is really sad if you ask me.
Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
660 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  09:35:43  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
Calling yourself a feminist, didnīt you forget one important issue? That of abandoning female circumsion, to make it illegal.

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

Sibo

Denmark
231 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  09:46:18  Show Profile Send Sibo a Private Message
Making circumcision illlegal will be the best that will ever happen to Gambian women and I am speaking as one.
I think itīs a cruel and stupid tradition. Women get married now without it and getting circumcised doesīt stop young girls from having sex when they want to. Look at all the girls having babies outside of marriage and probably 90% of them are circuncised.
Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  10:50:23  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
kiwi, point of correction the president is against fgm, but he has stated many times he could make it illegal, but it would be hard to enforce in the villages where it is practiced. people have an idea that it is for the illerate people but well educated people practice it. it is based on beliefs and traditions. Educate the women and it will stop.
Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  10:53:52  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
Sibo, you make some good points about the laziness of the young, some of them are very spoilt, on family i know spend a 1,000 dls on a dress, but would not think of getting a job. Sometimes they have the attitude its just not good enough.
Go to Top of Page

Sibo

Denmark
231 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  10:54:22  Show Profile Send Sibo a Private Message
Jambo

this is probably the brightest idea the president has ever come up with since he become the president
Go to Top of Page

jambo

3300 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  10:54:57  Show Profile Send jambo a Private Message
Bev, i agree on the electricity, that is a barrier to moving forward, but also roads, i have travelled too mnay times on bad roads, they have to be improved ASAP.
Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
660 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  11:48:44  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
jambo, you donīt need to tell me it is a tradition. I just want to point out that gambiabev should include the issue in her wish list.

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

Sibo

Denmark
231 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  12:48:24  Show Profile Send Sibo a Private Message
I agree with Jambo about the electricity. If there is electricity avaliable 24 hours in kanilai and brusubi, I donīt see why it cannot be avaliable in the rest of the country.
Go to Top of Page

Sibo

Denmark
231 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  12:57:08  Show Profile Send Sibo a Private Message
Jambo

Their lack of motivation and ambition and aimlessness makes me mad. I am only 22 but have had a job since I was 13, I donīt choose betweem jobs, I take what I can get at the time and work hard in school át the same time. Then they expect me to give them money to spen on stupid things. a couple of months ago I was talking with my cousine and he was complaining that there is no jobs in gambia. I aksed why he is not working with his brother in construction and he said that that kind of job is too hard, that he is not ment to do that kind of job. I had just send him money at the time, I regreted so much when he told me this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06