Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 A Special Commission or Attitudinal Change?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MADIBA

United Kingdom
1275 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  18:53:23  Show Profile Send MADIBA a Private Message
This is yesterday Point Editorial, i find it quite timely. This should sound as bells to those aspiring tobe public servants and law makers in the making(NA legislative candidates)http://www.thepoint.gm/Editorial240.htm

madiss

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  21:53:47  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message

Magistrate Martin may well have a point (no pun intended!)I wonder if such a commision will ever come about.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  21:56:15  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by toubab1020

Magistrate Martin may well have a point (no pun intended!)I wonder if such a commision will ever come about.

KUN TEMA TELO
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  15:01:12  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
quote:

Toubab,
Happy new year to all of you here. I have been away partly Gambia and Cape Town. I understand Mr. Martin very well. Being a Gambian and knowing how appointments do take place in the Gambia, such a commission would have been better. The operation nocompromise has come because of the behaviour of the civil servants in the Gambia. The right person to the right job. There are too many dishonest civil servants who rip off poor Gambians every day including the Police. This should be stopped.
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  15:32:39  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kondorong

quote:

KUN TEMA TELO

Kondorong,
What do you mean by KUN TEMA TELO?
I suggest we use proverbs that we all understand. You writing in som Mandinka or wollof is not quite suitable here, when we have people who cannot understand. No hard feelings.
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  16:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
I think Operation No Compromise accompanied with mr Martin's Special Commission will help to enshrine within the Gambian Civil Service attitudinal change. This can only be a good thing for social mobility by weeding out inefficiency within the Civil Service. By enabling more conscientious people to gain employment within the Civil Service.

peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega

Edited by - Sister Omega on 15 Jan 2007 16:01:21
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  19:21:28  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alhassan

quote:

quote:

KUN TEMA TELO

Kondorong,
What do you mean by KUN TEMA TELO?
I suggest we use proverbs that we all understand. You writing in som Mandinka or wollof is not quite suitable here, when we have people who cannot understand. No hard feelings.

I write what i like and i dont need anyone to tell me what i should write. This is a Gambian Forum and visitors should expect things Gambian. As long as i have some muscles, i will always write and use local languages.

For goodness sake, this is not Oxfordshire.
Go to Top of Page

MADIBA

United Kingdom
1275 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  20:34:55  Show Profile Send MADIBA a Private Message

I write what i like and i dont need anyone to tell me what i should write. This is a Gambian Forum and visitors should expect things Gambian. As long as i have some muscles, i will always write and use local languages.
For goodness sake, this is not Oxfordshire.

Konds,Is that Serahule Anger? The first part of your first line looks like the title of a book. Koto Alhassan, may not understand Mandinka, and he may not be the only one, so in the interest of a wider reach,translations will help alot.

So A NYA NGA MOO coool down!

madiss

Edited by - MADIBA on 16 Jan 2007 20:36:18
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  21:00:25  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
wELL mADIBA

I think he was stepping on my nerves. What is wrong speaking a Gambian language in a Gambian forum. I dont want to be brain washed to give up what is mine. Like youssou Ndour said: LINGA DON SO KO BANYEH, AH, DAFA FEKA, NGA GEN SAI NYAW.

I am proud of being Gambian and i will use gambian proverbs to express myself. Its not a sarahule anger but the truth.

This is a Gambian forum and as such must have Gambian flavour like DOMODA not fish and chips
Go to Top of Page

MADIBA

United Kingdom
1275 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  21:08:57  Show Profile Send MADIBA a Private Message
quote:

wELL mADIBA

I think he was stepping on my nerves. What is wrong speaking a Gambian language in a Gambian forum. I dont want to be brain washed to give up what is mine. Like youssou Ndour said: LINGA DON SO KO BANYEH, AH, DAFA FEKA, NGA GEN SAI NYAW.

I am proud of being Gambian and i will use gambian proverbs to express myself. Its not a sarahule anger but the truth.

This is a Gambian forum and as such must have Gambian flavour like DOMODA not fish and chips

Well said. Proud to be Gambian too. Anyway taking you back to the issue at hand, what is your take as a former civil servant and an experienced globe trotter?

madiss
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  21:14:08  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
quote:

wELL mADIBA

Opps........ Hmmmmmmmmm........Yes this is a Gambian site, but it is visited by many people who are not Gambian and therefore may not understand what you have written,like it or not English is the most understood in the world today.But hey, write in what ever language you want too, I should hate this topic to end up in the way that some other topics have with big squabbles.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

sab

United Kingdom
912 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  21:48:33  Show Profile Send sab a Private Message
Kons
quote:
I write what i like and i don't need anyone to tell me what i should write.

Madiba
quote:
The first part of your first line looks like the title of a book.

It is the title of a book; Steve Biko 'I write what I like' A collection of his columns published in the journal of the South African Student Organisation under the pseudonym of 'Frank Talk'.
Also contains interviews & letters.

The world would be a poorer place if it was peopled by children whose parents risked nothing in the cause of social justice, for fear of personal loss. (Joe Slovo - African revolutionary)
Go to Top of Page

MADIBA

United Kingdom
1275 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  00:02:27  Show Profile Send MADIBA a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sab

Kons
quote:
I write what i like and i don't need anyone to tell me what i should write.

Madiba
quote:
The first part of your first line looks like the title of a book.

It is the title of a book; Steve Biko 'I write what I like' A collection of his columns published in the journal of the South African Student Organisation under the pseudonym of 'Frank Talk'.
Also contains interviews & letters.

Thanks Sab for the info.

madiss
Go to Top of Page

Cornelius

Sweden
1051 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  09:08:29  Show Profile Send Cornelius a Private Message
WE write what we like and those who don't like it can go drink some of that their favourite soup.

Does “Ben Loxo du taccu” really mean “You can’t clap with one hand”?

Where’s LEMON TIME?!?

Thanks everybody. This is from the friendly information unit making a request in simple and ineffective English (smile):

Private jokes and one-to-one personal communications are fine, still, some of us would like to join in the fun and not miss anything.
Those of you who spice our lives with Mandinka, Fullah, Serrehule, Swedish, German, Dutch, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Wolof, or English proverbs could do us the favour by sometimes translating from e.g. Mandinka to English or approximating from English to Mandinka, as the case might be.

I’ve got a few Mandinka proverbs too.

This is for our mutual pleasure and understanding (you know that some of Kunta Kinte's descendants (like most of those ( historically speaking) RECENT German Ashkenazi converts to Judaism and like the Kazars did not have the good Hebrew or Aramaic languages in their genetic code (Rambam wrote in Arabic) and unless we study a language those of us are not born with it cannot use it.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=sv&q=The+Kazars&btnG=Google-s%C3%B6kning

Just try telling one of those Iranian Ayatollahs that theirs is a borrowed religion or that they are dancing with borrowed plumes/turbans with which they decorate themselves or that you have more Arabic ancestors going all the way back to Sheikh Abraham and Hagar( smile). Borrowed hijabs?

Well in Iraq and Iran, if you wear a black turban it means that you are a Sayyid.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=sv&q=sayyid&btnG=Google-s%C3%B6kning

N:B:Imam Khomeini(r.a) wore a black Turban but did not speak the greatest Arabic.

With Al-Hassan freshly back from Biko-country he too has been in touch with the spirit of some of this:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Biko%3A+%22I+Write+What+I+like%22&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

P.S. Richard Pryor jokes about a lady who worked him over till he was completely drained. "She thought that I was a bowl of soup", he complained.

Edited by - Cornelius on 17 Jan 2007 10:53:10
Go to Top of Page

Alhassan

Sweden
813 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  15:47:28  Show Profile Send Alhassan a Private Message
quote:

wELL mADIBA

Kondorong,
Youssou Ndure has nothing to do with what we are talking about here. Otherwise why dont you use the wollof or Mandinka alphebeth? This forum is open to all and not to Gambians alone. We cannot isolate Gambia from the rest of the world.
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  19:03:12  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alhassan

quote:

wELL mADIBA

Kondorong,
Youssou Ndure has nothing to do with what we are talking about here. Otherwise why dont you use the wollof or Mandinka alphebeth? This forum is open to all and not to Gambians alone. We cannot isolate Gambia from the rest of the world.

There you make another mistake. Youssou Ndour has everything to do with Bantaba. Yossou would tell you that he made his mark in the Gambia. Gambia made Youssou what he is today, we paid for tickets and until recently, Youssou Ndour used to play every TOBASKI in the gambia where he was welcomed more.

Infact Gambian's independence celebration is always incomplete without him performing. He is a fabric of Gambian Life.

We have quoted many other people far from Gambia like Ghandi, martin luther, etc. Tell me why its ok to quote Ghandi on a Gambian forum but not Youssou Ndour.

Do you know that there is a Youssou Ndour Fans Club in the Gambia a testimony to his fame in our country. I have not heard of Super Eagles Fans Club, or Musa Ngum Fans Club or Mass Lowe, MAASLABI, etc.

You seem to have a narrow view of life.

Yes You are right that we cannot isolate Gambia from the rest of the world. But i wonder why quoting Youssou Ndour is equal to isolating Gambia. Certainly not in this case. May i remind you that Youssou Ndour is not a Gambian less you forget. Therefore quoting him is infact opening up and not isolating Gambia.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06