Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: World politics
 New global index exposes 'modern slavery'
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11513 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  11:27:35  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Proportional ranking shows Gambia is number 9. How true is this?
-----------

New global index exposes 'modern slavery' worldwide
BBC: Published on 17 October 2013

Nearly 30 million people around the world are living as slaves, according to a new index ranking 162 countries.

The Global Slavery Index 2013 says India has the highest number of people living in conditions of slavery at 14 million.

But Mauritania has the highest proportional figure with about 4% of its population enslaved.

The report's authors hope it will help governments tackle what they call a "hidden crime".

'Better measure'

The index was compiled by Australian-based rights organisation Walk Free Foundation using a definition of modern slavery that includes debt bondage, forced marriage and human trafficking.
"A lot of governments won't like hearing what we have to say," WFF chief executive Nick Grono told the French news agency Agence France-Presse.

"Those governments that want to engage with us, we will be very open to engaging and looking at ways in which we can better measure the issue of modern slavery.".........

Read Full Story

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2013 :  09:26:50  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
COURTESY OF INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPER UK WITH THESE REPORTS;

Edited by - kobo on 18 Oct 2013 09:28:27
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12238 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2013 :  03:31:38  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
I do not know what to write having read this piece,any GAMBIAN willing to write something on this topic,?
Is this report all lies?
Is this report unreliable?
I am amazed totally some GAMBIAN explain to me please.

"Gambia and Gabon follow Mauritania in thetop tenof the Index"

http://www.foroyaa.gm/african-news/14347-african-countries-top-list-of-worst-performers-in-slavery-index

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12238 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2013 :  14:02:51  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
The posting above is now 2 days old,I suspect that there have been SOME Gambian readers at the moment there has been over 150 "visitors" to this topic after the original post by Momodou on 17th October,this is FAR FAR more important than "inter party politico chat" SURELY!!!!!

"I am amazed totally some GAMBIAN explain to me please."

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  18:33:01  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
I was told that in Mandinka society there has been a long history of slaves and masters, and even today people can tell which group people belong to by their surname.
This predates any Western slave traders in the country.

In one of the villages I visit the 'masters' ( I suppose in Uk, the middle classes) live on one side of the road with better water supply etc and the 'slaves' (lower class) live on the opposite side of the road. Generally they are poorer even now.

I think this is less rigid these days and there is some movement due to education.

BUT people are very aware of their origins.

I would love a Mandinka person to expand on this, or correct me if I am wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11513 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  21:13:38  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Gambiabev, Perhaps you can re-visit this topic from 2009, to referesh your memory:
KOMBO IS INNOCENT: CAST SYSTEM IN GAMBIA

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2013 :  18:58:47  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
Thanks Momodou

I am going a little bit senile these days. My head is full of work stuff.

It is an interesting subject. Is the booklet that was mentioned still available?
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12238 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2013 :  00:19:03  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Gambiabev ( U R not going " a little bit senile these days",it's the world in general that is broken !)

and Momodou, thanks for taking part.

Where are all the other Gambian readers of Bantaba in Cyberspace

who could give their input? probably acquiescing in their cosy politicospeak world of ...........?

Problems that are vital to be dealt with passed over, delayed by......? long diatribes of "discussion"

Edited by - toubab1020 on 24 Oct 2013 00:23:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06