Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 The Raleigh Convention
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dalton1

3485 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  10:43:21  Show Profile  Visit Dalton1's Homepage Send Dalton1 a Private Message

The Raleigh Convention

After some thought on this and conversations with some of its organizers and other group members, I think this is another opportunity for re-grouping Gambians and to underscore the need for unity and strategize our mode of operations against Yaya Jammeh’s terroristic acts in the Gambia.

As I walk myself through these gathering details, I have had to do a lot of soul searching and to take greater caution, knowing some of the past history of some of these organizations. Specifically, the break-up of NADD and its support Diaspora pillar STGDP was the heartbreaker that just drove all nuts. As we continue on this terrain of the struggle, people just find it hard to move on without referencing this much divisive fiasco. Most definitely that wasn’t the wish of its brain-child Dr. Abdoulie Saine.

While agreeable and to the credit of the common critics including myself about the many dispersed sub-organizations some of which duplicated executives with the same common faces (probably even friends), I only see it as a problem if such organizations have barriers with others that cannot be ironed out. For example, what my choice would have been as outlined by UGAMA guidelines (2007) was to invite people without going through any conflicted organization. This will help arrest the fear of friendship shows being operated. To the credit of these local groups, they certainly need these organizations to fight in their localities and to use that group to lobby and underscore more of the wrongs committed by Jammeh’s regime.

As the time draws nearer, we can’t sit on the fence undecided on this. That is to say, even if I have my own disagreements, I can probably argue my case at such a rally. What I am willing to endorse and participate in is the unity of Gambians (the oppressed) and victims of Yaya’s regime and a continuity of such a fight to correct the system of terror already planted by this regime.

Due to some important events I have around May 17/18th, I might not make it to the Raleigh Convention, but I wanted to openly endorse this forum to others interested in re-grouping.

On a similar vein, I wanted to salute Pa Samba (Coach), our vibrant elder Ous Mbenga and those that participated in the rally at Yaya’s Potomac residence. It was certainly the right thing to do. My only encouragement is to say keep it up and don’t let the low turnouts turn off your spirit. Having being involved in some of these efforts for a while, I have had to accept to move on with spirit rather than numbers. At any point, a small and sincere group is by far better than larger groups infected with the regime’s hypocrisy.

The struggle continues…

Best regards,

Yero

"There is no god but Allah (SWT); and Muhammad (SAW)is His last messenger." shahadah. Fear & Worship Allah (SWT) Alone! (:

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2013 :  05:40:17  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
RELATED BANTABA TOPICS;

Edited by - kobo on 15 Apr 2013 09:18:07
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2013 :  20:43:12  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. Related Topic from Bantaba Archives: Sidia Bayo Forms New Party -Alliance for Democracy

2. DAILY OBSERVER NEWS;

3. GAINAKO NEWS;

4. THE DIASPORA MEETING AT RALEIGH NORTH CAROLINA

"For months some Gambians in the Diaspora have been organising to hold a Conference in North Carolina slated for 17th,18th and 19th May 2013.

Invitations were sent to opposition leaders in the Gambia to participate. Many Gambians all over the world were invited to participate in a discussion.

Foroyaa will try to give accurate feedback on the deliberations.

Foroyaa will contact the different political leaders to get explanation on what they could achieve by participation or non participation.

Foroyaa is of the view that the political situation in the Gambia is not a complex one. Neither the unity of the opposition nor their disunity could bring about or prevent change. It is the unity or disunity of the people that would bring about or prevent change. Hence political practitioners and analysts should focus on the people if they want to understand the way forward for the Gambia. Political leaders are not putting ropes on the necks of the people. In most cases the pollsters are in a better position to determine the prospects of the leaders in politics than they themselves. It is the attitude of the people that should breed hope or hopelessness.

Foroyaa has followed the political situation in the Gambia during the National Assembly and Council elections. It is very clear that the people are in charge. Wherever they had decided to put up their own candidates in National Assembly and council elections those candidates have won, irrespective of the participation of political parties or lack of it. The fundamental lesson that both the ruling party and the opposition should learn is that the people should not be taken as mere baggage to be carried as a leader’s possession. The people own themselves. That is why the President is now conducting reconciliation celebrations. It is clear to him that the people are capable of independent decisions and actions. Neither the unity of the opposition nor its disunity is an obstacle or asset for change. The change in Banjul is a clear indication that the future of this country lies in the hands of the people.

Hence the other parties too should now focus on telling the people what they intend to do differently from the existing ruling party to enhance liberty and prosperity. The ruling party also needs to tell the people what they are capable of doing differently to enhance the liberty and prosperity of the people after 19 years in office. Gambians want leaders to take stock and tell them the truth. They already know they are in control of the politics of the country. What they are looking for are leaders they could trust. The future is bright. No one could throw dust in the eyes of the people any more. The future will tell."

SOURCE: FOROYAA NEWS EDITORIAL(Full information here)

Edited by - kobo on 20 May 2013 23:24:22
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2013 :  10:24:20  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. KIBAARO NEWS;

2. GAINAKO NEWS;

3. MAAFANTA.COM;

Edited by - kobo on 23 May 2013 06:02:16
Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
934 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2013 :  20:58:11  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message
Brother Kobo, thanks always for bringing divergent views to Bantaba.. I see that you have been doing a great job on that...

A point of observation on the Foroyaa article about obstacle or lack thereof to political change in the Gambia. In principle I am in agreement that the people are in charge and that they are the ones that will make change happen, but it baffles me (here I come again)... that Foroyaa/PDOIS insist that the political leaders have less to do with effecting change and push the ball back to the people...

If the people are in charge and can only make change happen then why are political parties formed? And leaders selected by a few or present themselves as potential representatives of the people? Why not tell the people NO we don't want to lead you go and organize and make change happen...

I am again with the contention that while the people make things happen but leaders present visions and programs that the people can rally around... That all the people cannot meet at a bantaba and decide who is going to lead them... That programs and vehicles have to be created to allow people to rally around that vehicle headed by a few who will give it shape and steer it in the right direction...

These programs must be effectively sold to the people!!!!!!!!!!!!

To continue to blame the people and to fail to own up to leadership shortcomings is simply to pass the buck or shift the responsibility one is suppose to take...

I just don't get it I guess after years of reading Foroyaa and following PDOIS policies... People rally around leaders and make things happen.. Leadership is necessary for change to happen...

take it away..

Baldeh,
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Ghandi
Visit http://www.gainako.com for your daily news and politics

Edited by - dbaldeh on 23 May 2013 21:00:38
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2013 :  08:55:04  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1.FREEDOM NEWS;

2. WHY PDOIS WAS NOT IN RALEIGH

"Below is the press release issued by PDOIS on why it was not at the Raleigh meeting of 17-19 May,2013.22 May 2013

The PDOIS received a letter from the organisers of the Raleigh Conference inviting the Secretary General of PDOIS to a Conference to be held in Raleigh North Carolina from the 18th to 20th May aimed at deliberating on strategies and tactics on how to effect peaceful change in the Gambia.

The Central Committee of PDOIS met to review the invitation and came to the conclusion that two preliminary steps are necessary before such a meeting could take place in a manner that would yield the desired results of a national consensus on strategies and tactics for peaceful political change. First and foremost, the opposition at home had to arrive at a consensus on the way forward at the meeting or convey the wrong impression that they are so divided that they could not forge a United Front for Democratic change. Secondly, the Diaspora also had to meet and develop a consensus on the way forward failing which opinions could be so divided at the meeting that the way forward could become illusive.

Thirdly, we envisaged that once the two consensuses are independently built the holding of a joint Diaspora–Opposition meeting to harmonise them into a National consensus would become feasible after the consensus at the Diaspora meeting is circulated and reviewed by each opposition party and discussion held among them reach a consensus before the National Conference.

The Central Committee therefore resolved that it was not prudent to be a part of a brainstorming exercise on the way forward since it had the potential of exposing divisions rather than bridging the strategic and tactical divides on the way forward.

The Central Committee expressed its commitment to bringing about electoral reform that would restore the second round of voting, a term limit and level ground for multi party contest to effect democratic change as has happened in Senegal or Ghana failing that the opposition should build a wave like in Banjul for one Independent candidate to face the incumbent to bring about the necessary change and preside over a one-term transition to a genuine democratic multi party system.

Hence the Secretary General was instructed to transmit the following letter to the organisers."

SOURCE:FOROYAA BURNING ISSUES NEWS: (Full information and more here)

Edited by - kobo on 24 May 2013 21:36:31
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2013 :  22:43:24  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. KIBAARO NEWS;

2. KIBAARO NEWS;

3. dBaldeh On your comments above! I thought you didn't grasp properly what Foroyaa pointed out and to insinuate rightly as PDOIS POSITION; WELL CLARIFIED IN ITS PRESS RELEASE WHY PDOIS WAS NOT IN RALEIGH.

1. YOU STATED AS OPENING REMARK; "A point of observation on the Foroyaa article about obstacle or lack thereof to political change in the Gambia."

2. Your point contended appear to suggest that PDOIS haven't showed LEADERSHIP AND DID NOT PRESENT ("policies, visions and programs that the people can rally around..."). You are clearly very wrong to state "that Foroyaa/PDOIS insist that the political leaders have less to do with effecting change and push the ball back to the people..." That's a tragic irony in juxtaposition of facts.

3. It is apparent that you rushed to form your own conclusion on underlying reasoning "Why PDOIS was not in Raleigh?"; from the Foroyaa editorial. The editorial briefly apprised us (public); background to the Raleigh Convention, status quo of opposition front, the deadlock reminded, quandary, revealing roles (both "people" and "other political parties"), responsibilities (both "people" and "other political parties")), a clear mandate and empowerment of "the people" gathering on this forum or platform organised by CITIZENS (REMINDING THEM THAT THEY ARE FRANCHISED AND POWER BELONG TO THE PEOPLE), that all stakeholders going back to the drawing board; for any meaningful "political change in the Gambia." WHAT MORE CAN YOU SAY IN AN EDITORIAL LIKE THAT ONE

4. In editorial did you missed reading as quoted;

"Hence the other parties too should now focus on telling the people what they intend to do differently from the existing ruling party to enhance liberty and prosperity. The ruling party also needs to tell the people what they are capable of doing differently to enhance the liberty and prosperity of the people after 19 years in office. Gambians want leaders to take stock and tell them the truth. They already know they are in control of the politics of the country. What they are looking for are leaders they could trust. The future is bright. No one could throw dust in the eyes of the people any more. The future will tell.

5. For your information am following gambia-l and reading its renown elites, the intellectual discourse, pragmatic interventions and sideswipes on PDOIS. Latest on gambia-l ridicules ,bashing, taunts and humour hot plate "Consensus VS. Compromise"; "political autism" and am following the interactions to the end. All comments in gambia-l relating to this topic so far: Refer here

6. ON POINT 5. WHY DO YOU THINK "Consensus VS. Compromise" ARE IN CONFLICT OR REQUIRE CONFLICT RESOLUTIONS FROM POINTS OF VIEW WITH FOROYAA EDITORIAL AND PDOIS POSITION (IF ANY FROM A SIMPLE EDITORIAL, LETTER AND PRESS RELEASE)

7. LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY ON PDOIS POSITION: THAT "PDOIS position is a clear conceptual framing. It is in their genome to continue to exhibit that trait in its interaction and present its position but the cognitions comes in different forms."

8. I disagree with your observations and comments. Ball is back in your court.

Edited by - kobo on 26 May 2013 21:54:07
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2013 :  20:32:39  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
MAAFANTA.COM;

Edited by - kobo on 27 May 2013 20:33:13
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  03:01:10  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. MAAFANTA.COM;

2. DUGA Minnesota Chapter Presented a Blue Print for political Change in Gambia to the Raleigh Conference

"The ultimate Perspective for Change in The Gambia

Greetings from, all the freedom fighters in The Great State of Minnesota

It is an honor to be here. Thank you, Mr. Tunkara, Banka Manneh, Coach, and everyone who is here today for organizing and attending this remarkable and historical event. We cannot forget our wonderful and gracious host and organizers in Raleigh (DUGA group in North Carolina). It is indeed a trying time for our great nation. There is no better time than now, to organize an event such as this one, to brainstorm, share our thoughts and pave the way for a common objective to rescue our country from the clutches of oppression and tyranny.

I know time is of essence, hence, I will be brief.

After consultation with Gambians in Minnesota, including the Minnesota DUGA group, we would like to put the following suggestions forth to foster our process for reaching our common GOAL. We must not leave this venue to ahead to our respective homes, without accomplishing at least two objectives:

Chart strategies for removing Jammeh from power by the end of the next election

Chart strategies for transition from the Jammeh era to a functional and structured government, constitutional, judicial reforms, and economic recovery.

We should develop our processes in two phases:

Phase I: Struggle to Remove Jammeh

1. Create a political front to bring every political party under one umbrella. A divided house cannot stand. Jammeh banks on our division. If we unite, he cannot defeat us.
A. Create a committee with mandate to ensure political unit.
B. We must have a flag bearer by end of this year or latest, beginning of next year behind whom we all must rally.

2. Continue to solicit mounted international pressure to contain Jammeh’s behavior.
A. Create a committee with mandate to continue to solicit help from the international community.

3. Fight to make sure Gambians in the diaspora vote in the next election cycle;
A. Create a committee with mandate to make that process happen

Phase II: Transition

1. When Jammeh is removed through election, the Flag bearer must have a time limit set for no more than the election cycle.
A. We must create a committee with mandate to begin strategy for post Jammeh reforms. We recommend at least the following:
i. We must craft a referendum to set presidential time limit to two-five year terms
ii. We must review, reform, and restore all areas of the government
iii. We must review the constitution, reform it , and restore it to pre-Jammeh era
B. Reform National assembly to pre-Jammeh era
C. The caretaker government must develop strategy to hold election no more than6 months to a year after Jammeh is removed
D. Bring the government back to normal function
E. Develop temporary government sectors

SOURCE: GAINAKO NEWS(Full information here)

Edited by - kobo on 29 May 2013 04:48:21
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  10:51:56  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
HALIFA RESPONDS TO D.A. JAWO

"In your article entitled the Raleigh Conference a step in the right direction you indicated that “PDOIS has given a somewhat vague reason as to why it was not represented”.

Unfortunately, you did not proceed to indicate what was vague about our statement. In that respect you owe us a critique so that we could fully understand the substance of your claim which could then inform our future actions.

You also added the following “While there is no doubt that some aspects of the PDOIS position had some merit, but the Raleigh conference offered quite an opportunity which they should have never missed.”

Here too you have left us confused as to what the merit of our position is.

For the sake of clarity, allow us to state that when we received the invitation of the organisers we did applaud their initiative. However in order to promote ownership of the process and engender a more formal arrangement for consensus building, we proposed for the Diaspora to meet and work out a consensus, the content of which would be conveyed to the political parties at home for review and decisions taken by their own organs in line with their party constitutions. We further proposed that after taking their individual party positions on any proposal from the diaspora political parties at home could meet to discuss their party positions and form a consensus which shall then be followed by a Diaspora – opposition meeting that would entirely focus on concrete proposals for a consensus on the way to facilitate electoral reform or effect democratic change if proposals for reforms are rejected. In this way no parochial difference would be entertained and the deliberations would be devoted solely on National consensus building. Hence it is clear to all that we have not only endorsed consensus building but have concretely stated how it could be done in a climate of serenity and sobriety, free from any acrimony and hair-splitting wrangling over issues that have no national relevance, as befits those who aim to engage in the most important task of our times, that of building a country fit for a sovereign, free , prosperous and dignified citizen to live in . Our compatriots in the opposition have known us for working with concept papers to guide meetings to avoid sloppy and crude ways of doing things. This is why we have earned the respect of all without exception. You seem to be the only Gambian who cannot see that this was a purely diaspora affair and Gambia based newspapers, NGOs and Political activists could not be involved for obvious reasons Hence our proposal for the meeting to be restricted to the diaspora in the first instance is quite reasonable and justifiable as the first leg for consensus building. What then is vague about our proposals?........"

SOURCE: MAAFANTA.COM(Full information here)

Edited by - kobo on 29 May 2013 11:04:37
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  19:12:50  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
''We have already reached consensus on mediation efforts and what to do if the incumbent fails to respond. This is why we were surprised by the news that the opposition leaders were at each other’s throat at Raleigh.''- Halifa

I would like to make it categorically clear to all here that the above statement is inaccurate and misleading. Although the opposition parties in G6 have reached consensus on the electoral reform agenda, the G6 does not share PDOIS's notion of what to do to bring about democratic change if the regime resisted reform.

PDOIS’s position seems to be for all parties to rally behind an independent candidate. However, no such position was adopted by the G6 neither is there any consensus on the same by the opposition parties in The Gambia.

The G6’s agenda is only limited to electoral reform and does not include 'Democratic Change' in the sense of an electoral contest with the incumbent. I therefore urge Halifa to clarify his statement and/or desist from misrepresenting the Agenda of the G6 for his own selfish purpose.

I am aware of some of the things agreed upon by G6 to bring pressure to bear on the regime but Halifa does not seem to be alluding to those.

Thanks

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.

Edited by - Nyarikangbanna on 29 May 2013 19:20:52
Go to Top of Page

sankalanka

270 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  23:13:26  Show Profile Send sankalanka a Private Message
"We have already reached consensus on mediation efforts and what to do if the incumbent fails to respond."(Halifa)

Halifa did not disclose what they have agreed to do if the incumbent fails to respond. This statement is very explicit.

However, look at how you view this statement implying that you know what Halifa has left unsaid. There are two things here: consensus on mediation efforts and consensus on what to do if the mediation efforts fail.

The statement only establish a fact that there is a consensus on both. What is the consensus that has been reached: we don't know.

But you seem to know: even alluding to know what Halifa himself has left unsaid:

"I am aware of some of the things agreed upon by G6 to bring pressure to bear on the regime but Halifa does not seem to be alluding to those." (Nyari)

Are you in Halifa's mind to know what he was alluding to and what not he was alluding to.

This is why we were surprised by the news that the opposition leaders were at each other’s throat at Raleigh.''- Halifa

"I would like to make it categorically clear to all here that the above statement is inaccurate and misleading."(Nyari)

What is inaccurate and misleading: that they have reached a consensus on mediation efforts and what to do if the regime fails to respond?

"Although the opposition parties in G6 have reached consensus on the electoral reform agenda, the G6 does not share PDOIS's notion of what to do to bring about democratic change if the regime resisted reform."(Nyari)

Did Halifa state that the G6 shares PDOIS'S notion of what to do to bring about democratic change if the regime resisted reform? No he doesn't. Then why do you want to ascribe to him something that he did not say. And how do you know what the G6 share or do not share? At least Halifa is not stating that.

"PDOIS’s position seems to be for all parties to rally behind an independent candidate. However, no such position was adopted by the G6 neither is there any consensus on the same by the opposition parties in The Gambia."(Nyari)

Halifa did not say that their position was adopted by the G6 neither did he say their was any consensus on that matter by the opposition parties in the Gambia. You are essentially putting words in his mouth. And this is uncalled for. The man did not say all of the things you are attributing to him.

"The G6’s agenda is only limited to electoral reform and does not include 'Democratic Change' in the sense of an electoral contest with the incumbent."(Nyari)

Did he state anywhere that the G6 agenda is not limited to electoral reform? Did he state anywhere that it include "Democratic Change" in an electoral contest with the incumbent? No he doesn't.

You know what you are guilty of: putting words in another's mouth.

"I therefore urge Halifa to clarify his statement and/or desist from misrepresenting the Agenda of the G6 for his own selfish purpose."(Nyari)

You accuse the man of saying something that he never said. Now you want him to clarify a statement that he never made. And on top of that you accuse him of misrepresentation.

You have your disagreements but you are taking it too far.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

dbaldeh

USA
934 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  01:01:06  Show Profile  Visit dbaldeh's Homepage Send dbaldeh a Private Message
Brother Kobo,

We can agree to disagree on PDOIS because we view them in a different perspective. You view PDOIS as your party and therefore will twist any statements to justify their unjustifiable stand on the points noted above... There is a reason why leaders lead and sell their ideas for people to rally around. Nowhere in the world does leaders sit back and expect the people to lead.. and if the people don't buy your idea for god sake try something new!!!!!

On my side I see PDOIS as simply one political party that does not have the answers to our political deadlock in Gambia. I see them as a group of leaders who buy into an ideology (their way) and will never yield to any other way until dooms day... While it is incumbent upon all of us as citizens to engage them, it ought to be clear that there is nothing that will change their ways even in the most dismal electoral performance in decades...

One thing I hope PDOIS leadership will acknowledge that they don't have to initiate an idea to be a part of it. That a country is bigger than a group of people and political party, that at some point common sense dictates that you give ideas a chance to be explored to their fullest without shutting them down... that it is ok for others to opine on their position without shutting those people down....

History shall be the judge and PDOIS and its leadership exposes its inherent inability to change their ways even at the expense of the nation...

Current PDOIS leadership should probably allow other young PDOIS leaders to emerge as potential replacement and bridge to the political divide. Young exceptional folks like Suwaibou Touray is a rising star and him and many others needs to be equally heard...

Let's see what other conditions they will come up with when you guys in Sweden or Norway organize a conference. Let's see if there will be preconditions for Diaspora consensus... Let's see if the opposition will have a consensus be4 PDOIS leadership attend a national conference...

I simply respectfully disagree with their position because I see no solution to their position... And please don't ask me to give you another party that has the solution.. Isn't that the reason why we should convene and discuss matters...

Demba

Baldeh,
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Ghandi
Visit http://www.gainako.com for your daily news and politics
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  01:36:49  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
Rene, I suggest you revisit Halifa's response to D.A Jawo before accusing me of anything. I can surely defend my statement.

Also, I can tell you that Halifa doesn't know anything more than I do about the G6. He should therefore watch his mouth and stop misrepresenting the G6.

I chose not to respond to you on the other topic because I was without doubt everybody knows you were talking nonesense and effectively trying to re-write history.

Already in bed but will sort you out tomorrow.

Thanks

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  12:24:20  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. Welcome Address on May 17, 2013 by Eugene Weeks, Mayor Protem , Raleigh

2. Nancy McFarlane, Mayor of Raleigh, Declares May 17, Gambia Day

"North Carolina, Raleigh Mayor, Nancy McFarlane signed a proclamation declaring May 17, 2013, GAMBIA DAY.

PROCLAMATION
WHEREAS, The Gambia is the smallest country on the African continent;
and, WHEREAS, The Gambia proclaimed itself a Republic on April 24, 1970;
and, WHEREAS, citizens of The Gambia have a long and storied history of seeking and supporting a democratic form of self-government; and, WHEREAS, Gambians from all over the world attended The Gambia Conference on Democracy and Good Governance at Raleigh, North Carolina May 17th through May 19th to discuss their beloved Gambia;

NOW, THEREFORE, do I, Nancy McFarlane, Mayor of the City of Raleigh, do hereby proclaim May 17, 2013 as "GAMBIA DAY"
IN WITNESS THEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the City of Raleigh, to be affixed this Twenty Fourth Day of May, 2013. "

SOURCE: MAAFANTA.COM (More full information here)

Edited by - kobo on 30 May 2013 12:30:57
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  12:32:36  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Originally posted by dbaldeh
Brother Kobo,

We can agree to disagree on PDOIS because we view them in a different perspective. You view PDOIS as your party and therefore will twist any statements to justify their unjustifiable stand on the points noted above... There is a reason why leaders lead and sell their ideas for people to rally around. Nowhere in the world does leaders sit back and expect the people to lead.. and if the people don't buy your idea for god sake try something new!!!!!

1. Beggars belief and pathetic comments!
2. "Twisting what"? Your statements were fully comprehended and addressed fully above.
3. You came here to distort the Foroyaa Editorial and PDOIS press release; misrepresented the facts, predispose on smearing campaign, expressed antipathy, aiming to discredit or destroy integrity of its leaders(especially Halifa Sallah) and destroy PDOIS credentials but apparently failed in your misleading statements, when I reacted to them.
4. Why don't you made proper reviews of your statements before coming back and still talking rubbish; on how PDOIS is running its party and/or dictating what the party is supposed to do?

On my side I see PDOIS as simply one political party that does not have the answers to our political deadlock in Gambia. I see them as a group of leaders who buy into an ideology (their way) and will never yield to any other way until dooms day... While it is incumbent upon all of us as citizens to engage them, it ought to be clear that there is nothing that will change their ways even in the most dismal electoral performance in decades...

1. STATE YOUR OWN OPINIONS AND ANY WISHFUL THINKING! WHO DO YOU REPRESENT ON YOUR OWN PERSONAL VIEWS, PREJUDICES AND ACTIONS DEEPLY-SEATED ON ANIMOSITY? YOUR PERSONAL VIEWS ARE YOURS AND NOT THE CONSENSUS
2. ALSO REMINDED THAT OUR INTERACTIONS ARE INTER-PERSONAL EXCHANGE OF IDEAS/VIEWS AND DOES NOT REPRESENT ANY OPPOSITION POLITICAL PARTY POSITION

One thing I hope PDOIS leadership will acknowledge that they don't have to initiate an idea to be a part of it. That a country is bigger than a group of people and political party, that at some point common sense dictates that you give ideas a chance to be explored to their fullest without shutting them down... that it is ok for others to opine on their position without shutting those people down....

KEEP ON SMEARING CAMPAIGN AND NEVER GIVE UP FUTILE EXERCISE TO GAG; ANY ATTEMPT TO ALIENATE AND DISFRANCHISE PDOIS AND ITS LEADERS IN THE STRUGGLE, POSITION AND ADVOCACY OF ITS IDEALS

History shall be the judge and PDOIS and its leadership exposes its inherent inability to change their ways even at the expense of the nation...

1. ALREADY ITS HISTORY AND ON RECORD THAT PDOIS PARTY IS COUNTED AMONGST ONE OF MORE VIBRANT POLITICAL PARTIES SERVING THE NATION; IN ALL SECTORS OF DEVELOPMENT.
2. WHAT "WAYS" ARE YOU ALLUDING TO AND ON WHAT ("EXPENSE" FOR "NATION") FROM THIS VAGUE COMMENT OF YOURS; "PDOIS and its leadership inherent inability to change their ways even at the expense of the nation"

3. Current PDOIS leadership should probably allow other young PDOIS leaders to emerge as potential replacement and bridge to the political divide. Young exceptional folks like Suwaibou Touray is a rising star and him and many others needs to be equally heard...

YOU ARE DIVERTING FROM THE ISSUES AND I CONSIDER THIS COMMENT IRRELEVANT; IN REGARD TO RALEIGH CONFERENCE, POSITION OF PDOIS AND ITS PROPOSALS FOR CONSIDERATION

Let's see what other conditions they will come up with when you guys in Sweden or Norway organize a conference. Let's see if there will be preconditions for Diaspora consensus... Let's see if the opposition will have a consensus be4 PDOIS leadership attend a national conference...

1. LOOK AT YOU AGAIN PREMEDITATING AND CONTEMPLATING FALSE PROPAGANDA IN ADVANCE OF FORTHCOMING EVENTS
2. ARE YOU TELLING US THERE WERE NO PRE-CONDITIONS FROM OTHER POLITICAL PARTIES THAT ATTENDED RALEIGH CONFERENCE; EXCLUDING PPP (REPRESENTED BY O.J.)

I simply respectfully disagree with their position because I see no solution to their position... And please don't ask me to give you another party that has the solution.. Isn't that the reason why we should convene and discuss matters...

RE-VISIT ALL THE EDITORIAL IN QUESTION, PRESS RELEASE AND HALIFA'S RESPOND TO D.A. JAWO AND IT WON'T BE DIFFICULT TO COME UP WITH THE FOLLOWING SENSIBLE SALIENT POINTS AND FACTS ACKNOWLEDGE BY PDOIS:
  • 1. FOROYAA EDITORIAL BLESSED THE RALIEGH CONFERENCE AS STEP IN RIGHT DIRECTION AND ACKNOWLEDGED EMPOWERMENT OF THE PEOPLE AS NOTED THAT;

"Political practitioners and analysts should focus on the people if they want to understand the way forward for the Gambia."

"Political leaders are not putting ropes on the necks of the people."

"In most cases the pollsters are in a better position to determine the prospects of the leaders in politics than they themselves. It is the attitude of the people that should breed hope or hopelessness."

"It is very clear that the people are in charge."

"What they are looking for are leaders they could trust. The future is bright. No one could throw dust in the eyes of the people any more."

"Neither the unity of the opposition nor its disunity is an obstacle or asset for change"

"The change in Banjul is a clear indication that the future of this country lies in the hands of the people."[

• 2. THEN NOTE THESE SENSIBLE POINTS, PROPOSALS AND SUBSTANCE ON "WHY PDOIS WAS NOT IN RALEIGH?" FURTHER CLARIFIED IN PDOIS RESPONSE TO D.A JAWO:

PDOIS stated that they "received the invitation of the organisers we (PDOIS) did applaud their initiative."

PDOIS "came to the conclusion that two preliminary steps are necessary before such a meeting could take place in a manner that would yield the desired results of a national consensus on strategies and tactics for peaceful political change."

• "First and foremost, the opposition at home had to arrive at a consensus on the way forward at the meeting or convey the wrong impression that they are so divided that they could not forge a United Front for Democratic change. "

• "Secondly, the Diaspora also had to meet and develop a consensus on the way forward failing which opinions could be so divided at the meeting that the way forward could become illusive."

• "Thirdly, we (PDOIS) envisaged that once the two consensuses are independently built the holding of a joint Diaspora–Opposition meeting to harmonise them into a National consensus would become feasible after the consensus at the Diaspora meeting is circulated and reviewed by each opposition party and discussion held among them reach a consensus before the National Conference. "

• "However in order to promote ownership of the process and engender a more formal arrangement for consensus building, we proposed for the Diaspora to meet and work out a consensus, the content of which would be conveyed to the political parties at home for review and decisions taken by their own organs in line with their party constitutions."

• PDOIS "further proposed that after taking their individual party positions on any proposal from the diaspora political parties at home could meet to discuss their party positions and form a consensus which shall then be followed by a Diaspora – opposition meeting that would entirely focus on concrete proposals for a consensus on the way to facilitate electoral reform or effect democratic change if proposals for reforms are rejected."

• "In this way no parochial difference would be entertained and the deliberations would be devoted solely on National consensus building."

• "Hence it is clear to all that we (PDOIS) have not only endorsed consensus building but have concretely stated how it could be done in a climate of serenity and sobriety, free from any acrimony and hair-splitting wrangling over issues that have no national relevance, as befits those who aim to engage in the most important task of our times, that of building a country fit for a sovereign, free , prosperous and dignified citizen to live in ."

• That "the resolutions of the conference.. (should) harmonized the objectives, strategies and tactics on how to bring Democratic change in the Gambia."

• PDOIS acknowledge "What is achieved is to start a consensus building process. The raw material for National consensus building is yet to be available. The organizers have made a good start just as we (PDOIS) predicted. Hence what you (D.A.Jawo amongst other detractors) should be calling or is the continuity of a dialogue and not the embracing of a finish product."

DEMBA CONSIDER THE SOUND PDOIS PROPOSALS ON THE TABLE AND STOP PLAYING THE GALLERY OF DISORIENTATION, SMEARING CAMPAIGN, DIVIDE AND RULE POLICY
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06