Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Gambian Lawyers and...........?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12241 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  01:28:24  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Oleidi Uduma ? Is that a Gambian name ? I have no idea but..have a read of this article

http://observer.gm/africa/gambia/article/legal-aid-agency-accepts-unfortunate-thiefs-brief

Does this conduct give you a good feeling about Gambian Lawyers ?

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  04:48:00  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
But the way the lawyers were asked is too unothordox. Normally such request will be sent to various lawyer chambers and whoever is willing to take it will then response either directly or through the chamber's clerK.

It looks to me that the judges were setting these lawyers on a collision course with the public opinion; kind of civilised bullying. I would reject it if I was one of them.

Thanks

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12241 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  10:05:43  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Nyarikangbanna,your thoughts are interesting,I found the article quite odd as well,I couldn't believe what I was reading, I agree the whole interaction appeared wrong,would ANY qualified lawyer use such words in court to a judge ?
If you are right, what is the thinking behind "a collision course with the public opinion" what is hoped to be achieved by such action ? In your opinion of course
It is up to the prisoner to select a lawyer of his choice from a panel procedure is called a dock brief
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/dock%2Bbrief

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 23 Feb 2013 10:07:35
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  10:10:22  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
1. DAILY OBSERVER NEWS FRIDAY, WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2008 ARCHIVED;

2. DAILY OBSERVER NEWS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 26, 2010 ARCHIVED;

quote:
Background Quoted from above sources;

"Lawmakers at the National Assembly, on Monday,(October 27, 2008) unanimously passed the Legal Aid Bill, during the parliamentary session."

"Tabling the bill before deputies, Mrs Marie Saine-Firdaus, Attorney General and secretary of state for Justice, told parliamentarians that Legal Aid is an important component of the criminal justice system in The Gambia. "

"She pointed out that it was a requirement under section 24 of the constitution that a person charged with an offence which carries a punishment of imprisonment or death shall be entitled to legal aid at the expense of the state."

"SoS Firdaus noted that the right to legal aid in such cases was a fundamental one, and she added that it was also related to other fundamental rights, such as, the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty, as well as the right to a fair trial, amongst others."

"Legal aid in theory means provision of free legal service or services by the state to the poor and needy who are charged with capital offences punishable with either death or life imprisonment and cannot afford the services of a legal practitioner. This category of people includes children facing trials at the children’s court, who cannot secure the services of a legal practitioner."

"The Legal Aid Agency came into existence pursuant to Section 3 of the Legal Aid Act of 2008, which made provision for establishment of the agency, after an amendment of the outdated Poor Person’s Act, Laws of The Gambia."

"..... citation of Section 24 of the Constitution of the Republic of The Gambia, which requires the state to provide free legal aid to the poor and needy."

"......the question as to who and who is qualified for the aid is provided in Section 30 of the Legal Aid Act of 2008, Laws of The Gambia."

Edited by - kobo on 23 Feb 2013 10:21:40
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  14:45:56  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
Toubab, the judges concerned knew very welL that their approach was wrong and unethical. They merely wanted to push the lawyers into the corner so that they can't refuse because refusing something like this in an open court may appear to the public that you (the lawyers) are after money rather than servicing justice and lawyers generally don't want to be seen like that. That's what I mean by collision course with the public. Notwithstanding, I would have refused it if I was one of them.

Hawa Ceesay-Sabally's comments were clearly prejudice to the appellent and that is unethical and unlawyerly. It sounds like she was already incensed by the request.

And by the way, the funny name is not Gambian

Cheers

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.

Edited by - Nyarikangbanna on 23 Feb 2013 18:42:49
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12241 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  14:54:42  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Ah.....I get it now law courts are like a political platform and the players are akin to politicians,no wonder I did not understand

"And by the way, the funny name is not Gambian" ....
I knew that all the time it's that toubab humour once more !

Edited by - toubab1020 on 23 Feb 2013 22:11:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06