Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 EU's 76.5Million Euros Support for Gambia's NTP
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  03:35:11  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
I am currently doing a research on EU funding in The Gambia but what I discovered so far is just unbelievable especially taking into account some of the statements coming out of Banjul about the EU's 17 Point demand. This is what I found in the area of Transport alone;

In 2005, the EU allocated 44Million Euros to support Gambia's National Transport Plan (NPT) which is aimed at building and upgrading major trunk roads in The Gambia to facilitate transport and enhance economic activities. In 2007, the EU allocated an additional 4.5Million Euros as contingency. As if this was not enough, the EU allocated a further 28Million Euros in 2011 as additional support for Gambia's National Transport Plan making a grand total of 76.5Million Euros of EU funding.

This extra-ordinary EU benevolence have funded or/and is currently funding the followin road projects in The Gambia covering a stretch of 274 Kilometres;

1. Barra-Amdalaye Road (completed)
2. Mandinaba-Seleti Road
3. The TransGambia Highway
4. Soma-Basse Road
5. Basse-Wellingara Road

God bless the EU.

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.

Edited by - Nyarikangbanna on 19 Jan 2013 05:42:22

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  14:11:26  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
What can be said about the research that you have done so far? to use your own words "just unbelievable" keep on with it, I for one was totally unaware of the amount of money involved,hardly surprising because like all things political unless you are in the loop you may well not know.
Personally I shall be very very interested and look forward to you establishing all the information that you can regarding EU involvement in Gambia and hopefully publishing your findings here on Bantaba.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11525 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  16:49:03  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
This amount is difinitly no chicken change, The EU had been funding all these with the tax payer's money, in order to improve the lives of ordinary Gambians.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  19:04:05  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
True Momodou. Anyway, let's be absolutely clear when we talk about taxpayers money in this context. It is not any kind of taxpayer money we are talking about here, this is about the European taxpayer solely and entirely. I thought I make that clear to avoid any iota of doubt even though I understand that is exactly what you meant.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  19:58:42  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
"Saxo Bank is increasingly worried that violations of the EU Treaty once again will be ignored when Europe-wide unemployment keeps rising in coming months."

Maybe the EU will shortly have less money,look at this report from Denmark:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/policymakers-tinker-while-business-burns-090000399.html;_ylt=A2KJ3Cek7PpQ4zsA6j_QtDMD

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11525 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  20:54:02  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Toubab, It is very unlikely the Development Aid will be affected. However, the European tax payer will demand more transparency with regards to human rights and good governance including tackling of corruption specially the Danes. Currently, Denmark has suspended all direct payments of development aid to Uganda due to a report of swindle with donor funds. 150 million Danish kroners from Sweden, Norway, UK, Irland and Denmark was un accounted for.

Nyarikangbanna, yes I mean the European Tax payer.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  21:00:29  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Related Topic: PDOIS’ LETTER ON THE SEVENTEEN POINTS RAISED......

QUOTED FROM ABOVE PDOIS LETTER;
quote:
"...............the EU is the main donor to the Gambia. Infrastructural development such as The Trans-Gambia road network covering Mandinaba-Siliti, Barra Amdallai, Basse Velligara as well as other road networks like Soma –Basse, the School Feeding Programme, Drainage, Sanitation and Waste Management projects.etc. are all testimonies to the productive input of the EU to the development of the country."

"In fact, for the period 2008-2013 (10th EDF), (€77.9 = €76+€1.9)€70.6 million (D3258 million) is allocated to the Gambia."

Edited by - kobo on 20 Jan 2013 18:10:37
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  23:33:57  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
Well according to EU's country Strategy paper for The Gambia (2008-2013), otherwise known as the 10th EDF Country Strategy, the amount allocated to The Gambia for the period 2008-2013 is 76Million Euros plus a contigency budget line of 1.9Million Euros (for the first 2yrs) making a cumulative total of 77.9Million Euros been allocated for The Gambia for the period 2008-2013. However, 22Million Euros of this allocation was suspended in 2012 due to concerns over Gambia's worsening human rights and governance situation.

The EU started its support for The Gambia's National Transport Plan in 2005 and the initail 44Million Euros allocated for this programme plus the 4.5Million contigency budget line allocated in 2007 do not form part of the 2008-2013 77.9Million allocation but the preceeding 2002-2007 allocation,otherwise known as EDF 9th Country Strategy for Gambia. It is the subsequent 28Million Euros EU support that falls under the 2008-2013 77.9Million allocation and this was allocated in 2011. So clearly, PDOIS did not get their figures right on this one. Nonetheless, they still deserve a tap on the back.

Yes, there was support allocated for improving drainage and sanitation in some flood plagued and sanitary concern urban areas. However, I am not able to independently confirm from the EU papers I am consulting whether that support covers places like Soma, Barra and Basse as was reported by Foroyaa. I think all depends on whether or not these towns technically fall under the definition of 'Urban' which I believe they do. In that sense the discretion may lie on the Gambian government to decide which urban settlements benefit in which case, Foroyaa's reportage may be correct.

Toubab, I am currently reviewing a series of informative EU documents on this issue and if time permit, I may put together something nice for you but first, I need to make sense out of it all.

Thanks

Edited by - Nyarikangbanna on 20 Jan 2013 04:12:45
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  06:41:18  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Republic Of The Gambia - European Community
Country Strategy Paper and National Indicative Programme for the period 2008 - 2013;

FROM ROG EU 10th EDF Report (above) QUOTED;
  • "2.1.2.1 10th EDF, A-allocation, €76 million. This envelope will cover long-term programmable development operations under the strategy paper (CSP)".

• "2.1.2.2 10th EDF, B allocation, €1.9 million. This allocation will cover unforeseen needs such as emergency assistance where such assistance cannot be financed from the EU budget, contributions to internationally agreed debt relief initiatives and support to mitigate adverse effects of instability in export earnings.

In accordance with Article 3(5) of Annex IV to the Cotonou Agreement, this amount may, if necessary, be increased in the light of the operational or ad hoc reviews"

• "The 10th EDF indicative allocations in terms of programmable resources amounts to €76 million and the B Allocation, for contingencies, is €1.9.m (for the first two years), totalling €77.9 m for the period 2008–2013."

Edited by - kobo on 20 Jan 2013 06:42:03
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  11:25:50  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Nyarikangbanna wrote:

"I am currently reviewing a series of informative EU documents on this issue and if time permit, I may put together something nice for you but first, I need to make sense out of it all."

I for one find this information really exciting,it makes me wonder EXACTLY the EU strategy is in relation to payments made to other countries and for what,that of course would take a whole team of brilliant people to find out and I doubt if US ordinary mortals would ever be able to have access to it anyway.

I REALLY TAKE MY HAT OFF TO Nyarikangbanna (Yes, a "BRILLIANT PERSON") in being accurately to penetrate the secret world of the EU financial affairs.Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyarikangbanna

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 : 23:33:57 Well according to EU's country Strategy paper for The Gambia (2008-2013), otherwise known as the 10th EDF Country Strategy ETC.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 20 Jan 2013 11:32:04
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  11:30:56  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Where has this AID money gone ?
Here again a simple answer is the most likely,one word,Corruption,I may be in error, BUT if I am why cannot the money be accounted for?

quote:
Originally posted by Momodou

Toubab, It is very unlikely the Development Aid will be affected. However, the European tax payer will demand more transparency with regards to human rights and good governance including tackling of corruption specially the Danes. Currently, Denmark has suspended all direct payments of development aid to Uganda due to a report of swindle with donor funds. 150 million Danish kroners from Sweden, Norway, UK, Irland and Denmark was un accounted for.

Nyarikangbanna, yes I mean the European Tax payer.

Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  18:16:59  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nyarikangbanna

So clearly, PDOIS did not get their figures right on this one. Nonetheless, they still deserve a tap on the back.

Yes, there was support allocated for improving drainage and sanitation in some flood plagued and sanitary concern urban areas. However, I am not able to independently confirm from the EU papers I am consulting whether that support covers places like Soma, Barra and Basse as was reported by Foroyaa. I think all depends on whether or not these towns technically fall under the definition of 'Urban' which I believe they do. In that sense the discretion may lie on the Gambian government to decide which urban settlements benefit in which case, Foroyaa's reportage may be correct.

Thanks

HOPEFULLY FOLLOWING LINES QUOTED FROM EU PAPER CAN HELP TO CLEAR YOUR POINT NOTED ABOVE;
  • "The transport sector was one of the two focal sectors of the 9th EDF, with an initial allocation of €15m under the NIP. Two main areas of intervention were foreseen. The first one was the upgrading, rehabilitation and construction of five trunk roads (Barra-Amdallai; MandinabaSeleti; Soma-Basse; Basse-Sabi, and the Trans Gambia road at the level of Farafenni). The second intervention was the provision of technical assistance to the Gambia Roads and Technical Services Authority with the aim of establishing a Road Fund."

• "Due to the delay in the completion of the feasibility study, which started in 2002 (with 7th EDF financing) for the five road sections, it was extended in 2003 to cover the upgrading of the Banjul-Barra ferry terminal, plus the Sabi-Wellingara road in Senegal. The financial and economic components of the feasibility study had to be revised in December 2004, and the led to delay in implementing the programme, which is now on track."

• "At the same time, the 9th EDF mid-term review decision increased the original amount allocated to the project from €15m to € 36m from the NIP Gambia (including €8m from balances of previous EDFs, and a transfer of €8.5m from the B allocation). With an additional €3m from the Senegal NIP (for the road between Sabi and Wellingara), €3 million from the 8th EDF Regional Indicative Programme and €2 million from the 9th EDF RIP, the total funding allocated to the project comes to €44 million (€35.8 million for the roads, €2 m for supervision, €2 million for institutional support €0.2 million for audits and evaluation, and €4m for contingencies). A rider (€4.5 million) has just been approved and the project under the NIP will amount to €40.5 million."

MANY THANKS FOR SINCERE OBJECTIVE OPINION AND COMMENTS; GIVING P.D.O.I.S/FOROYAA THIS GIFT, GIVING YOUR FOE SOMETHING WELL DESERVED BY THEM ON THIS TOPIC, HARD WORK ON NATIONAL ISSUES DISCOURSE AND ULTIMATELY THE DEVIL ITS DUE!

HOPE YOU WILL DESIST FROM SMEARING CAMPAIGN, MAINTAIN THIS MOMENTUM OF GOOD ANALYSIS AND "INTELLECTUAL HONESTY"

Edited by - kobo on 20 Jan 2013 19:34:24
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  19:29:05  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
"HOPE YOU WILL DESIST FROM SMEARING CAMPAIGN, MAINTAIN THIS MOMENTUM OF GOOD ANALYSIS AND "INTELLECTUAL HONESTY"

A bit unfair Kobo on someone who has discovered so much,everyone is entitled to their own opinion that may well be at odds with the opinion of others.You I am sure remember the slanging matches that went on here at Bantaba in the quite recent past that achieved absolutely nothing.

Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  19:42:30  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Thanks Toubab as you are entitled to your opinion and moral support but Nyarikangbanna will appreciate my POINTS; ESPECIALLY "SMEARING CAMPAIGN" AND "INTELLECTUAL HONESTY" (WHERE PARTISAN POLITICS, WRANGLING, PREJUDICES, RESENTMENT, BAD BLOOD, HATE, BIGOTRY APPLY AND NEVER-ENDING; TARGETING P.D.O.I.S AND ITS LEADERS)!

All my comments are "fair" in my opinion

Edited by - kobo on 20 Jan 2013 19:57:15
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  20:58:21  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
"All my comments are "fair" in my opinion"

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/fair_1

Edited by - toubab1020 on 20 Jan 2013 21:03:25
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  21:02:36  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kobo

Related Topic: PDOIS’ LETTER ON THE SEVENTEEN POINTS RAISED......

QUOTED FROM ABOVE PDOIS LETTER;
quote:
"...............the EU is the main donor to the Gambia. Infrastructural development such as The Trans-Gambia road network covering Mandinaba-Siliti, Barra Amdallai, Basse Velligara as well as other road networks like Soma –Basse, the School Feeding Programme, Drainage, Sanitation and Waste Management projects.etc. are all testimonies to the productive input of the EU to the development of the country."

"In fact, for the period 2008-2013 (10th EDF), (€77.9 = €76+€1.9)€70.6 million (D3258 million) is allocated to the Gambia."

Momodou, the above is a quotation and the truth is that PDOIS's misrepresented the allocation made under the 10th EDF as 70.6Million Euros instead of 77.9Million Euros. That also means your amendment is inappropiate as it does not represent the true content of PDOIS's letter Which in itself amounts to misrepresentation. This is not about discrediting pdois but keeping to standards that would allow readers to follow the discussion logically and coherently.

I rather you retract your amendment and leave the quotation in its originality as that is what truely represents the content of pdois's letter.

As you can see, I have already given credit to pdois for their endevour on this issue.

Thanks

Edited by - Nyarikangbanna on 20 Jan 2013 21:51:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06