Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 WHERE DOES THE 1.9 MILLION EURO EU PROJECT STAND?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11511 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  20:54:49  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
WHERE DOES THE 1.9 MILLION EURO EU PROJECT STAND?
by Ousman Sillah.

Foroyaa: Published on Thursday, 17 January 2013

According to the European Union (EU), the Gambia Government declared a state of emergency as a result of the flooding in which over 2,673 families were affected through damage and loss of property. Hence, the signing of an agreement to finance the drainage sanitation and waste management project which is designed to improve and rehabilitate the drainage system, upgrade fences, remove waste dumpsites, provide improve latrines for people resident in Banjul, Barra, Bundung, Brikama, Soma, Bansang and Basse. The amount involved is 1.9 million Euro.

The signing ceremony took place on the 6 December 2012 at the Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs.

Will the suspension of the Political Dialogue have any impact on this project? The future will tell?

Source: Foroyaa

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  21:18:11  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
An agreement has been signed,what EXACTLY does that mean ? maybe they both agreed that an agreement "to finance the drainage sanitation and waste management project which is designed to improve and rehabilitate the drainage system," would be a great idea for both parties,The "suspension of the Political Dialogue" by Gambia means I suspect that the next step in the implementation of the project will not proceed at this point in time,but could be proceeded with at some time in the future,such discussions would maybe involve the form the "finance" would take, a loan?,a grant? or some other form of "financial instrument"
I personally think that the project is not dead just stalled,although it is a great project and an improvement in the lives of many individual people together with an improvement for the general population should it proceed to completion.
It should be remembered that such conditions have been known by the people of Gambia at various periods in their history,as Momodou remarked above The future will tell.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 17 Jan 2013 21:20:02
Go to Top of Page

Nyarikangbanna

United Kingdom
1382 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  22:32:42  Show Profile Send Nyarikangbanna a Private Message
Toubab, whatever agreement the EU signs with The Gambian government, the Cotonou Agreement is an implied term of that agreement since that is the legal framework that governs EU-Gambian relations. In that respect and under Article 96 of the Cotonou Agreement, it would be entirely proper for the EU to suspend or withdraw the 1.9Million Euros if the Gambian government failed to participate in the dailogue that the EU demanded pursuant to Article 8 of the Cotonour Agreement.

Thanks

I do not oppose unity but I oppose dumb union.

Edited by - Nyarikangbanna on 18 Jan 2013 01:00:11
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  23:21:21  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
For those who are technically minded this link should enable you to activate your brains a great deal, Me ? I am a simple soul and let Nyarikangbanna translate from politicospeak leagalise into plain English:

Normal folk Have a read and make sense if the article if you can:

http://www.ecdpm.org/Web_ECDPM/Web/Content/Navigation.nsf/index2?readform&http://www.ecdpm.org/Web_ECDPM/Web/Content/Content.nsf/0/8C9184EFBBC0EFB6C1257082004A8D4B?OpenDocument

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06