Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Gambian Cultural Forum
 Cultural guide: General
 Praise Singing.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  16:15:53  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
An excellent article in this newspaper by Abdou Karim (Aspiring Entrepreneur) Tallinding ,read carefully because the message is clear and the practice is endemic in many parts of Africa.
Why? because of poverty.

However he is unlikely to reach his goal of a successful Entrepreneur,if he has this attitude to the universal language that is understood in MOST parts of the world.

"Too bad! that I had to do all this writing in the colonizers’ language. To all its readers, please read it and inform your fellows."

http://dailynews.gm/africa/gambia/article/a-word-for-the-wise

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 10 Sep 2012 21:01:51

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  10:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message

....However he is unlikely to reach his goal of a successful Entrepreneur,if he has this attitude to the universal language that is understood in MOST parts of the world....

Oh standing judge, toubab.
Exactly, he should suppress his feeling if he wants to be successful.
If that is how he feels about the colonial language, he should shot-up, say nothing, and crawl into his shell if he wants success.

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2013 :  13:20:44  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Janko,crawling into his shell he should not,what he should accept if he is going to achieve whatever he wants to achieve is that the world extends beyond the limits of Africa now in the 21st century and if he wants to enter that world he should be prepared to use a "colonial language," it is of very little use to forward his aspirations if they are written in a local African language which is used and understood by a few people,he could of course write in Arabic that way he can enter the Arab world.
Like you Janko I am free to express my own opinions,that are influenced a great deal by my own culture exactly in the same way yours is influenced by your culture.
I have expressed my opinion and do not consider that I am a "standing judge", if you consider me as such then that is what you think.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 04 Feb 2013 13:22:21
Go to Top of Page

Janko

Gambia
1267 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  02:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Janko's Homepage Send Janko a Private Message
Toubab, stop throwing stones …
I have translated some things written here for you; because they are written in a language you do not read or understand. What difference is that from the author’s sympathy for those that can´t read his article in colonial-language? People who cannot obtain the information because of language barrier? How many other languages do you understand and or speak hence you are truly anxious about extending your limits beyond colonial-language, now, in the 21st century.
Is the world not poorer with fewer languages?

Clean your house before pointing a finger ... Never be moved by delirious Well-wishers in their ecstasy
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12242 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  10:09:15  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Janko,you really are everywhere still it does make a welcome change to have some reply to my postings and opinions even though it is negative, just to prompt continuing discussion of a topic. .
Still the free world would be a very dull place if everyone was socially engineered by those in charge to think exactly the same !!!
Of course every language should be preserved and used BUT if you wish to ensure that what you feel and have to say then you must use a colonial language,because most of the world understands what has been said or written, to me its obvious.Unlike other Africans that I know who speak 6 or 7 languages,because they have had the opportunity to work and travel inside and outside Africa in the past,I can stumble though about 3 languages.
I am sorry that you feel your glasshouse may be damaged by stones thrown from outside.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 07 Feb 2013 10:16:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06