Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Health and Nutrition Forum
 Health and Nutrition
 CORONA VIRUS: AN SOLICITED ADVICE

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Momodou Posted - 16 Mar 2020 : 19:55:02
CORONA VIRUS: AN SOLICITED ADVICE
By Dembo Fatty

The world is grappling with the onslaught of the Corona virus on human lives and we in our small corner of the world must also have our small response strategy in place. We cannot afford to be reactive but proactive.

Here are a few unsolicited advices I have for the powers to be.

1. Given that Gambia is not an oil producing country, it is just a matter of time for us to run out of fuel as the producers close their borders and international trade is halted. My fear is that it will hit us hardest.

I would suggest as an immediate policy, for the state to buy out all the fuel at the various depots as national reserve so that when we run out, critical services like the hospital and the security infrastructure will have fuel for some time. The hospitals for example can be guaranteed of fuel for their generators and the ambulances as well.

During national strives, humans will always do what they are best at doing and that is to save their lives even if it means some lives must be sacrificed. It is a human trait to be selfish and we all have it. It is just the degree that is the variable. And so, the security must have fuel to respond to public disorder as fuel runs out and the resultant struggles at gas stations and potential looting of stores to survive. It is just a matter of time and not if when the pressure of the virus is felt across the globe.

2. Do we have financial plans to bail out some of the industries that will be hard hit especially the travel and leisure industry which constitutes nearly 20% of our GDP according to many economists?

They can be assisted in many ways:

a. Prevail on the banks to halt loan repayment requirements from borrowers as these industries are struggling with their other obligations like payroll etc.

b. Prevail on the GRA to extend the deadline for payment of corporate taxes and other tax obligations from institutions and businesses to keep them afloat.

c. Remove import taxes on food and essential items for the next six months to make prices of commodities affordable as people lose their jobs and have no social safety networks like unemployment benefits in the Gambia.

d. The central bank should bring down the interest rate to zero and if necessary, serve as Sovereign Guarantor to some the loans that were contracted especially in the critical sectors of our economy.

e. Right now, the Police should relax the requirement for renewing vehicle licenses for an additional three months to avoid attracting large crowds in their offices and potentially increasing the chances of infections.

3. The other recommendation I have is to close the schools right now and identify some of these schools in all the regions that will serve as emergency hospitals to treat patients infected with the virus. Hygiene is a challenge for young children and closing schools will reduce the possibilities of transmission.

The concentration of emergency centers should not just be in the Kombos but across the country. Emergency centers should be nationwide so that patients do not have to be transported to the Kombos which may even increase the chance of further infection. Keeping patients in the areas of infection is a better strategy than transporting them out of those regions.

By now, there should be an emergency plan to buy thousands of mattresses for storage as it will take time to manufacture beds. A mattress will at least stop the bleeding and provide a temporary relief instead of having patients lying on the floors.

Oxygen tanks should be filled up right now and kept in storage at the warehouses at the Governor’s headquarters and other critical medical supplies.

4. The National Assembly should work on a bill on the Corona Virus on how the response should be addressed giving emergency powers to the Executive branch to bring to bear needed resources without having to request a supplementary appropriation.

The emergency powers should extend to law and order and if necessary the powers of forced conscription into a national guard kind of service of anyone above the age of 18 to 60 will be required to make available their service to the state in the fight against the virus.

5. The National Assembly should introduce a Bill as to how they will operate in the event of an emergency.

6. Given that Gambia is right inside Senegal, and because Senegal already has incidences of the virus, we cannot rely on technicality that because we are an independent sovereign state, Gambia is free of the virus. Senegal includes Cassamance and because we are sandwiched in between, geographically, we cannot be comfortable and we should operate as if we have it because we are surrounded by a country that has it. Technicality/sovereignty in this situation is not helpful.

7. The Army should be ready by now to move in on command, and provide the needed coordination of the various government agencies as they have the disciplined force of strong and able personnel with well-defined chain of command suited for such emergency operations where decisions are implemented without question.

8. There should be a massive campaign and bill boards erected in most of the large population centers warning citizens the realities of the virus. I have met many people who think this is a joke and that the one can be protected by putting charcoal in water and drink the solution. Humans will always fall back to their beliefs when faced with an unexplainable situation and these unsolicited home remedies are abound in many Whatsapp forums and they are havig impact on the society. Some will self-medicate at home which is dangerous.

9. Finally, we should close our borders. If we agree that there is no incidence of the virus in the Gambia, then the only way we can have the virus is from people entering the country and since we are allowing people to come in, then we better brace for it. I understand the economic implications of closing our border, but that is miniscule in comparison to the pressure the virus will have on our systems and institutions. It is simply a cost benefit analysis.

By all means, let us pray and keep hope alive. Hope, it is said, is a force multiplier.

You are all wished a productive work week and if any Kombonka or nyancho needs help, I can provide free therapy. After all, what is a big brother for?

Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06