Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Environment and sustainable development
 CRR Hippos on Rampage.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
toubab1020 Posted - 07 Feb 2020 : 13:49:22
Unfortunatly I doubt that the Department of wildlife will be able to solve this problem Hippos weigh well over a ton in weight and to provide a structure that would stop them from entering the rice fields is totally unecononic in money terms,these animals cannot be relocated to another location ,there is no answer to the survial plight of the people who farm there.

If you search the www you get this answer:

55 million years
The Hippo is a creature that has been around for a very long time. There is evidence to suggest they walked on the Earth more than 55 million years ago. The closest relatives of the Hippo are whales and porpoises. There are fossils that have been located in Africa that are dated back about 16 million years ago.19 Mar 2014

======================================================================

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The rice growers of Kundang in the Central River Region (CRR) have complained about the massive invasion and destruction of their rice fields by bush pigs and hippopotamus.

The victims of community met the minister of Agriculture, Amie Fabureh, in CRR as she handed over farming implements to beneficiary villages in CRR south, in which they lodged this complaint.

The rice growers made it known to the minister that they depend mainly on rice cultivation for their survival, saying it was very disheartening that after all the hard labour that they underwent, intruding animals like pigs and hippopotami would come and destroy everything over night.

“We want the government to intervene and ensure that mechanism is put in place to prevent these animals from destroying our rice fields,” one rice grower said.

“The government needs to consider our plight. Since they are providing farming implements without preventing the pigs and hippopotamus, there will be no improvement in rice production,” one old man stated.
Unfortunatly I suspect that the

=====================================================================
According to farmers, these animals can destroy wide range of hectares within a short period of time. They urged government to do something to help them to ensure their efforts in food-self sufficiency in rice production becomes fruitful.

Reacting to their concerns, the governor of CRR, Hon. Abba Sanyang and Agriculture Minister Amie Fabureh promised to talk to the Department of Wildlife, while assuring that their issues will be resolved soonest.
Author: Abdoulie Nyockeh

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/hippos-on-rampage-again
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Momodou Posted - 07 Feb 2020 : 23:16:10
They have to reduce their amount because they have increased so much the past years . It’s not sustainable for the environment. They keep on feeding on the rice fields.

Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06