Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Environment and sustainable development
 Factory Staff Says They Make Diesel Fuel From Oil
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  15:09:15  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Factory Staff Says They Make Diesel Fuel From Oil Waste

Foroyaa: July 11, 2019

By Mustapha Jallow

http://foroyaa.gm/factory-staff-says-they-make-diesel-fuel-from-oil-waste/

A staff of Infinity New Energy Enterprise (INEE), on Monday July 8th 2019, alleged that the Chinese factory situated at Nyambai Forest buys waste oil from Kotu and Brikama power stations and recycle it into diesel.

The factory that was operating ‘illegally within the Nyambai forest’ according to NEA officials was asked to suspend operation when the Police Intelligence, Interpol and other security officials visited the site to investigate their activities. A staff of the said factory who prefers anonymity, told this reporter that at the beginning of the factory’s operations, ‘‘we were using old tires to produce heavy-duty fuel but we later discovered that this exposed us to dangerous fumes. We used this method for only a year. Then the proprietors suggested we use ‘black’ or waste oil from engines. They started buying this waste oil from NAWEC power stations and that is what we are recycling now into diesel oil.’’

The staff alleged that the factory’s manager used to go to Brikama or sometimes Kotu power station where tankers supplied them with used oil to process into diesel fuel. He added that waste oil was processed into diesel fuel and customers came for their supply. He said that some of these customers came from within the local communities of Mandinary while others came from Serrekunda and other gas stations.

He said the Chinese proprietors used to sell diesel fuel in dalasi and not in foreign currency.

The source stated that they had dug wells inside the factory, where they kept the fuel after recycling it.

“Recycling this oil is risky and my earning is not that much. I took the risk because that is the only way to earn an income for the survival of my family, including myself. I never receive any insurance benefit since I started working at the factory. Whenever you are injured, they give you some money but when the month ends, it would be deducted from your salary.Chinese factories such as this one is not good for Africa because they protect their own interest and do not protect the environment. The Police have stopped us for operating. The two proprietors have travelled to Genuine Bissau because they have another factory like this one, operating in Bissau,’’ the anonymous worker told this reporter.

According to him, the Chinese proprietors promised to come back in three months’ time to see whether the Gambian authorities will allow them to continue their operations.

“As a family man, I cannot sit for three months without doing anything. I have to look for another job to be able to earn something for the upkeep of my family. What I heard from their discussion is that if the situation remains the same, they will relocate their project to Guinea Bissau,’’ he said.

The anonymous reporter said the factory has earned much money from the production of diesel fuel.

Meanwhile several attempts were made to get the version of the factory’s proprietors to no avail.

According to the power generation director of NAWEC Baboucarr Faal, they have had problems with the disposal of oil waste and sludge at their power stations which led them to arrange with a factory in Mandinary, to collect the waste oil and sludge, free of charge. He added that they have stopped coming to collect the wast oil and sludge.

Mr Edward Jatta, a Senior Electrical Engineer at Brikama power station also confirmed to this reporter that their station used to supply oil waste to the Chinese factory at Nyambai.

“We’ve been supplying them free of charge because the waste disposal facility sometimes fills out and we have no other option but to give those who need it, for the engines to be free and to function normally,’’ this reporter was told at the Kabafita power station in Brikama.

According to Jatta, the last supply of oil waste to the Chinese factory was two months ago. “It has been a while since the Chinese requested for Oil waste from us because I learnt that they have stopped operations at the moment. Supplying them with this black oil does not mean that we need or get something in return. No. We feel that by disposing of this oil waste, our work will be made easier because we want to get rid of it from the power station anyway,’’ he explained.

In a telephone conversation with this reporter, an official at the National Environment Agency (NEA) said the NEA is yet to receive any report from the Police regarding the factory; that once investigations are done, the Police will inform them on what to do.

Police spokesperson ASP Lamin Njie, when contacted by this reporter, said he will find out from Police investigators and will get back to him, but he could not be reached at the time of going to press as his cell-phone kept ringing without him answering.

Waste disposed of just outside the premises of the factory

Related Topics:
- Forestry Staff Accuse Chinese Factory Of Polluting

-

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2019 :  10:26:18  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At last someone has spoken about this toxic disaster,one of the people who worked at the plant owned and set up by The Chinese not in industrial area but in a forest,hmmmmmmmm alarm bells should have started to ring then,but no .from previous reports in the media those in Charge of the "factory" declined to give any details of the workings of the installation and promptly ran away,showing little or no pride in their work.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 12 Jul 2019 10:27:28
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2019 :  11:49:16  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a disaster. People’s attitudes towards the environment should change. This factory was polluting both the ground water and the air and those who know kept quiet about it. Officials at NAWEC who were disposing off the waste oil from the power plants can’t say that they didn’t read newspapers articles about this illegal factory. NAWEC is at the same time responsible for WHO standard drinking water quality, which in all cases is from the ground water. But that’s Gambian attitude, some will just say it’s not their business.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2019 :  18:12:52  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Totally agree. Momodou you have covered all the points in your last posting It is a fact that MANY Gambians reject the concept of personal responsibility and are quite content to wait until an investigation (if there ever is one !)reaches a result at sometime in the future "Systemic failure and lessons have been learnt" is a catch all phrase where NO ONE is held responsible,change happens,MAYBE sometimes !

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2019 :  20:22:53  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Police Complete Investigation On Nyambai Oil Factory

Foroyaa: July 16, 2019
By Mustapha Jallow

http://foroyaa.gm/police-complete-investigation-on-nyambai-oil-factory/

The police have completed their investigation on the controversial factory in Nyambai that produces gas oil from waste oil and sludge.

The Public Relations Officer of the Gambia Police Force (GPF), ASP Lamin Njie said Police investigators are set to submit an Investigative report about the Chinese factory known as Infinity New Enterprise to the Inspector General of Police.

He made these remarks in his office at the Police headquarters in Banjul, on Thursday, 11 July 2019. Police Spokesperson added that a copy of the investigative report will be shared with officials at the National Environment Agency (NEA).

When this reporter requested for a copy of the report he laughed and said: “No, I will not share this copy with the press because they are classified documents. We will only brief you about the outcome of the investigation,” he said.

The operation of the factory which was purported to be operating illegally by officials of the NEA was put on hold some months ago while the police conducted investigation. Forestry officials also maintain that the factory was operating within a forest reserved area.

When Foroyaa received reports of pollution from residents living in the vicinity of the factory it investigated the matter and reported on it. Soon after this, officials from the police, Immigration, NEA and forestry visited the factory and production was suspended.

A factory attendant claims that the factory buys waste oil and sludge from the country’s main power stations and recycle it into diesel fuel. NAWEC officials have acknowledged allowing them to take the waste oil and sludge as this solves their perennial problem of getting rid of waste materials.

One of the proprietors promised to grant an interview to this reporter about how the factory came and started operating but she said she would have to speak to her lawyer first.

“I will grant you an interview when I speak to my lawyer,” she said earlier in a telephone conversation with this reporter. Since then she has not been reached for comment to hear her side of the story. According to staff members, she is currently in Guinea Bissau and has indicated that they will relocate to Guinea Bissau if they are not allowed to operate.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2019 :  01:06:35  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"she said she would have to speak to her lawyer first."

Well now just wait,and know the name of the lawyer who has been chosen to represnt Infinity New Enterprise.

There is a phrase in English, "the wheels of justice grind exceedingly slow"

Never mind the lid is off the kettle now we all eagerly await developments.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 17 Jul 2019 01:07:49
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  12:11:12  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Is The Conclusion Of The Investigation Of The Police On The Factory At The Nyambai Forest?

Foroyaa: September 4, 2019

QUESTION OF THE DAY

https://foroyaa.gm/what-is-the-conclusion-of-the-investigation-of-the-police-on-the-factory-at-the-nyambai-forest/

Foroyaa expects that the government will issue a press release or hold a press conference on the outcome of the official investigation into the operations of the company and the environmental impact assessment that should be linked to its construction. So far, no press release has been issued. Efforts would be made to contact the authorities to find out when the public concerns will be addressed.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  14:15:49  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This will take some time,it's a political explosion waiting to happen,it is apparant that advantage has been taken of the Gambian people and the resources available for a small outlay.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE FROM MOMODOU'S initial post:
"Supplying them with this black oil does not mean that we need or get something in return. No. We feel that by disposing of this oil waste, our work will be made easier because we want to get rid of it from the power station anyway,’’ he explained.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gambia is an emerging nation and requires friends from as many big countries as she can ,SOME of which APPEAR to have taken advantage of friendship and disregarded EVERYTHING EXCEPT, MAKING AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY CAN for as little outlay as they are able.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 04 Sep 2019 14:19:22
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  21:36:03  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
China is definitely not a good partner to deal with in regards to the environment. We have a very small space and the environment should be protected.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  09:50:34  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As usual a very well tought out posting Momodou.

quote:
Originally posted by Momodou

China is definitely not a good partner to deal with in regards to the environment. We have a very small space and the environment should be protected.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06