Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Environment and sustainable development
 Rural farmers and the poor.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  21:15:05  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SNIPPET:
“If we are serious about agriculture, we must protect the interests of the farming country. Agricultural transformation is all about farmers. Agro business is all about farmers. Poverty alleviation is about farmers since the majority of the poor are rural farmers. If we are serious about transforming agriculture, we should really look at the welfare of the farming community,”

=====================================================================
https://standard.gm/mai-tells-govt-to-prepare-ahead-of-groundnut-season/
=====================================================================
August 24, 2020

Former Interior minister and leader of the GMC has urged the government to prepare for the groundnut season to avoid circumstances where farmers will be forced to wait for their monies.

“The Ministry of Agriculture with its relevant institutions should affect proper plans in place by now so as to reward Gambian farmers for their hard work. After toiling for months with hard labour, the price usually offered for their produce is low. Consequently, many farmers prefer to sell their produce across the border in Senegal. This is unacceptable,” he told The Standard yesterday.

The agricultural sector is the most important sector of the Gambian economy, contributing 32% of the gross domestic product, providing employment and income for 80% of the population, and accounting for 70% of the country’s foreign exchange earnings.

But over the years, Gambian farmers have experienced serious challenges with the purchase of their produce.

“The State should be fair to our farmers. We encourage people to adopt farming, and then reward their hard work with an unattractive producer price that compels them to look up to Senegal to sell their produce. Each year, big promises are made to farmers, and each year those promises are broken,” Fatty said.

The former presidential adviser said the State should not wait until the trade season dawns on them, and they start making plans.

“If we are serious about agriculture, we must protect the interests of the farming country. Agricultural transformation is all about farmers. Agro business is all about farmers. Poverty alleviation is about farmers since the majority of the poor are rural farmers. If we are serious about transforming agriculture, we should really look at the welfare of the farming community,” he argued.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 24 Aug 2020 21:17:01

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2020 :  16:34:22  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

SNIPPET:

"The Gambian leader also announced “there wouldn’t be any credit buying this year. There will be a change of system this year. If you deposit your groundnut at the Seccos you will be handed a cheque to go to the bank and collect your money and that will prevent anyone stealing money since it will not be in cash form,” he told NPP mobilisers and Yai Compins."

https://standard.gm/barrow-announces-15-increase-on-groundnut-price/

By Omar Bah October 19, 2020

President Adama Barrow on Saturday announced that his government plans to increase the price of groundnut to 15% in the coming season expected to start in December. The president made this announcement during a meeting with his supporters at State House.

By last year’s Secco price, (D18,000) a 15 per cent increase in the price of a ton of groundnut will rise to D20,700.00

The Gambian leader also announced “there wouldn’t be any credit buying this year. There will be a change of system this year. If you deposit your groundnut at the Seccos you will be handed a cheque to go to the bank and collect your money and that will prevent anyone stealing money since it will not be in cash form,” he told NPP mobilisers and Yai Compins.

The president further disclosed that the National People’s Party will contest both the Niamina West and Kerr Jarga by-elections.

“I want to urge all of us to set an example in those two elections to show the whole country that our wrestlers will be difficult to wrestle down,” he said.

Barrow also revealed his government’s plans to construct the Kaur-Nianija road.

He called on Gambians to unite and bring an end to politics of insults and bigotry as that will not develop this country.

Barrow said although people are now free to express themselves, “it should be done in a civilised manner for the greater good of the country.

“There is too much noise in this country. Everyone is talking. We are having such noise because President Barrow is the one who brought democracy in The Gambia,” he said.

He said Gambia is experiencing proliferation of political parties because people feel “it is easy to jump onto the presidency”.

But he reminded his audience that the likes of Ousainu Darboe, Halifa Sallah, and Hamat Bah have all tried to remove Jammeh without success. “God doesn’t reward smartness but hard work. I came in three months and was able to remove Jammeh. They think that it is easy to ascend to the presidency because it took me only three months to defeat Jammeh. It is God that chooses presidents. I don’t even know how I got to the presidency. I was just called to come and help run for president,” Barrow said.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 20 Oct 2020 16:39:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06