Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Court remands 3 Years Jotna leaders to Mile II
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2020 :  13:14:43  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SNIPPET,please click on the source link at the bottom of this article to read the full article and see the pictures.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RELATED topic.http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/4-journalists-over-100-protesters-released-on-bail
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By Yankuba Jallow & Nelson Manneh on
January 29, 2020

A trial magistrate has remanded the chairman and other members of the 3 Years Jotna Movement to Mile II pending their arraignment before the high court.

Magistrate P. Sarr of the Kanifing Magistrate’s Court made this ruling following an intense argument between the prosecuting officer and the defence lawyer.

Superintendent M.D Mballow made an application for the matter to be transferred to the high court because the court lacks the jurisdiction to try count 3 which deals with rioters demolishing structures.

The Police Superintendent submitted that counts 1 and 2 attract imprisonment of 1 and 5 years respectively while count 3 attracts life imprisonment.

https://foroyaa.gm/court-remands-3-years-jotna-leaders-to-mile-ii/

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 30 Jan 2020 13:21:13

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2020 :  19:54:24  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Solidarity with Yanks Dabo
By Ndey Jobarteh

I had never thought that i will have to write such again but it break my heart to see that the same laws we fought against are still hunting us thus the urgency of the Constitutional and Security reform if we are to move further. It breaks my heart to see people we faught with taken to the same jail they fought to free our people. It breaks my heart to see my own comrade I fought with together in shackles for protesting.

Today i stand in solidarity with Yanks Dabo this is a man you might disagree with the position he takes, or took, the party he belongs to, his actions but he is one determined, knowledgeable, experienced lawyer and have people’s rights at heart. He is a die heart fighter for human rights, he was among the lawyers i thought the State would have benefited in his skills but not a treason charge for a demonstration.

I have worked with Yanks in the struggle to remove Jammeh, i have worked with Yanks to defend and protect the rights of Gambians in the Diaspora. Yanks is not just the ordinary lawyer in the streets of Peckam, Hackney, Upton Park but a seasoned, experienced and knowleageable lawyer with a heart for his work. To show how much this man knows his trade is when I worked with him to fight a case in Norway. This man was seating in London fighting a case in Norway with the most seasoned immigration lawyer in Norway, leading the whole process. Language barrier never stopped him. The distanced never stopped. It was from Yanks I got to know that you can call a Jugdge at midnight to hear a case in the UK. We spend 24hours on phones, when we thought that we lost the fight. I called Yanks around 2am Norway time, when the Norwegian lawyer told me that we have tried everything and I think we lost this case. Yanks said to me, Ndey, i am seating on the floor, the thought of this person going back and be killed paralysed me but i am on the floor Ndey not giving up. I just need to be on the floor to remove the emotions.

6am in the morning Yanks came back to me that i have another solution and he said get the Norwegian lawyer on the phone. At 10am Norway time Yanks with the lawyer, found a solution. That is the man Yanks is, he is s smart, seasoned, knowledgeable and determined lawyer who will never give up on rights.

This is a man who will stand by the rules and regulations. This is a man who will follow the law, so for him to be charge the Highest charge in the land is sending a bad signal! It is bringing the memories of how it all started with Jammeh!! It is making us asked the question are we really out of the danger zone. Is the fight finished or we need a second round?

I call on the authorities to drop these false charges and let these people go!!
I call on the authorities to speed up the security reform.

I was watching the live broadcast and all i saw and heard was the police using tear gas. At first i thought they were shots but it was the smoke that made me realised they were tear gasses. What lead to that i don’t know but all i saw was that the protesters were not doing anything that was against the law. That the protesters did nothing that warrant a tear gas before the police reacted. We all have our opinion of what transpired but this was broadcasted live so there are many evidences to go by.

#InSolidarityWithYanks!

Related Topic: https://www.gambia.dk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16778

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  15:11:28  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Banjul High Court today granted bail to the leadership of Three-Years-Jotna in the sum of D200,000 each.
They were further ordered to produce Gambian sureties, who must swear to an affidavit of means and deposit it with the court. The case will resume on 25th March 2020 for plea taking.

Details of the story will be coming soon on www.foroyaa.gm

Source: Foroyaa Newspaper

Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  09:07:06  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Court Grants Bail To 3 Years Jotna Leaders

Foroyaa: February 24, 2020
By Nelson Manneh

https://foroyaa.gm/court-grants-bail-to-3-years-jotna-leaders/

The Banjul High Court has on Monday, 24th February 2020 granted bail to the chairman and other members of 3 Years Jotna Movement.

These people were arrested on the 26th January 2020 following their protest on the aforesaid day in which they demanded for President Adama Barrow to honour his campaign promise to serve only for three (3) years.

According to the bail condition, each of the accused persons were to bring two Gambian sureties who shall deposit their national documents and signed a bail bond of D200,000.

The accused persons are; Abdou Njie, the chairman of the movement, Ebrima Kitim Jarju, Sheriffo Sonko, Hagi Suwaneh (the spokesperson), Fanta Mballow, Karim Touray, Yankuba Darboe (alias Yanks Darboe) and Muctarr Ceesay.

The grant of the bail came after the prosecution dropped the third (3rd) criminal charge which was ‘Rioters Demolishing Structures” which attracts a life imprisonment sentence. It was the prosecutions’ initial argument that any charge that attracts life imprisonment is not bailable and therefore, the court should refuse the defence’s application for bail.
The application to have the third (3rd) count dropped was not objected by the defence and the charge was eventually withdrawn.

This line of information prompted the trial judge to grant bail to the accused persons accordingly. Justice Aminata Saho-Ceesay said the accused persons must deposit their national documents to the registrar of the high court, each of the sureties must swear to an affidavit of means and the accused persons must appear before the court if needed.

The State lawyers applied for adjournment for 30 days. Their application was granted by the court and the matter was adjourned to 30th March 2020 at 10 am for the accused persons to take their plea on each of the charges.

The accused persons were first arraigned at the Kanifing Magistrate’s Court on the 29th January on three criminal counts, namely unlawful Assembly, rioting after proclamation and rioters demolishing structures. The matter was transferred to the High Court because the lower court lacked the jurisdiction to hear the case.

On the charge of unlawful assembly, the accused persons are alleged to have jointly and unlawfully taken part in an unlawful assembly on the 26th January 2020.

On the second charge, rioting after proclamation, the accused persons are alleged to have continued with their protest by disregarding the proclamation made by Deputy Superintendent of Police Alagie Jallow in the name of the President of the Republic to disperse peacefully.

On the final charge, rioters demolishing structures, the accused persons are alleged to have assembled together and unlawfully destroyed the Gambia Technical Training Institute students’ waiting shed by setting it on fire.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06