Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 NO Cash Just Credit, NO MONEY for farmers.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2019 :  10:04:20  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Abdoulai G.Dibba January 4, 2019

Farmers in the Seccos of the Bara, Kerewan and Kaur Depot Circles, continue to complain of credit buying in their Seccos, due to lack of cash.

“There is no cash in our Seccos. Our groundnuts have been weighed but no cash has been given to us,” scores of famers told this reporter.

They pointed out that Government should take their plight seriously because their yearly earnings have never been and cannot be secured by the new Government. They questioned how such an arrangement can get them out of poverty. After hearing their complaints, this reporter visited the Barra and Kerewan Depot Circles to confirm the lack of cash in these Seccos.

According to the Secco Managers, they received cash only once since the start of the season on December 17th 2018; that since then, they have not received any cash, even though they have deposited groundnuts at the depots.

“I was given cash amount equivalent to 40 tons of groundnuts I purchased and deposited at the Depot, with extra tonnage. But I am yet to receive any cash,” said one Secco Manager.

“The farmers are right. There is credit buying because my Secco received cash amount equivalent to 50 tons of groundnuts, at the start of the season, which has been deposited plus extra tons. But I am yet to receive any cash,” stated another Secco manager.

This reporter will visit the GGC to get the view of the Management on the issue.

http://foroyaa.gm/farmers-complain-of-credit-buying/

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2019 :  12:34:53  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
January 4, 2019

The Minister of Agriculture needs to issue a statement after consultation with the National Food Security Processing and Marketing Corporation (formerly GGC), to inform the public of the real state of affairs of the groundnut marketing season.

The Agriculture Ministry is the policy and service arm of the State, regarding the agricultural sector. They should be able to keep track of what is happening in the sector from production, marketing and preparation for the next season, and keep the public well informed. This has never happened in the past and it should happen now.

Some farmers continue to follow their income from sale since the last trade season, without knowing whether Government was in the know of how they became creditors, instead of recipients of hard-earned income. This should not repeat itself.

Is the government aware that there is credit buying? Has Government registered all those who are engaged in this exercise? Could it safeguard the farmer from being defrauded? The public deserves to be informed.

http://foroyaa.gm/how-does-government-intend-to-ensure-the-purchase-of-groundnuts-for-the-2018-2019-trade-season/

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2019 :  10:28:50  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would appear that the Ministry of Agriculture does not want to rock the boat and id happy with the current situation of Credit in Gambia and what do you know CASH SALES IN SENEGAL,Who is the Loser ?
=====================================================================================================

QUESTION OF THE DAY January 8, 2019

"Because of credit buying reports are reaching Foroyaa that bags of groundnuts are leaving Gambia to be taken to Senegal to be sold at a price of 175 francs CFA per kilogramme.
The Ministry of Agriculture should take note and address the nation on the marketing side regarding the groundnut trade."

http://foroyaa.gm/is-gambia-losing-its-groundnut-to-senegal/

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2019 :  10:34:34  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhhhhhhhhh NOT a Clarification but ACTION !! well done minister.HOWEVER if I understand the situation correctly, farmers are still owned CASH from a time when only Credit was given at the start of the season,has that CASH payment has been delayed ?

=======================================================================================================================

Abdoulai G. Dibba

The Minister of Agriculture Lamin N. Dibba, has informed this medium that the purchase of nuts on cash basis has resumed in ‘Seccos’ across the country.

He made the statement barely weeks after ‘Secco’ managers in Bara and Kerewan Depot Circles confirmed that they do not have cash to buy nuts from farmers.

The Minister of Agriculture told this reporter that there are two types of buyers: private licensed buyers and their own licensed buyers. The Minister then asked this reporter to clarify who were engaged in crediting buying.

This reporter informed the Minister that he visited some Seccos from Barra to Polodi in the North Bank Region from January 2nd 2019, and saw that credit buying of nuts was ongoing. The Minister then confirmed to this reporter that there was lack of cash in their own licensed buying points but that the problem was addressed.

‘Secco’ managers confirmed receiving cash on Friday 11th and Saturday 12th January 2019to buy nuts, but complained of delays in discharging what has already been bought at the depots.

In a report carried out by this medium earlier, farmers spoke of the need for Government to take care of their plight seriously because it is during the groundnut trade season that they generate their annual income.

http://foroyaa.gm/agric-minister-says-cash-purchases-of-nuts-has-resumed/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06