Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Health and Nutrition Forum
 Health and Nutrition
 THE MINISTER OF HEALTH SHOULD TAKE NOTE
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11513 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2013 :  16:23:06  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
THE MINISTER OF HEALTH SHOULD TAKE NOTE

Foroyaa Editorial: Published on Thursday, 22 August 2013

Foroyaa has been reliably informed that chains are still being used in private mental health facilities to restrain mentally ill patients. This is against all health norms and practices. It is true that some mentally ill persons at the psychotic states could suffer from hallucination and delusions that make them behave like wild animals or even become violent. They could display more strength than their normal body size because of delusions of grandeur that makes them to think and act like giants or lions.
There is a traditional and clinical way of handling such a mental state. In the past, and as we are being informed now, traditional healers have been relying on chains to restrain such mentally ill persons who are prone to violence or flight from their healers.
The consequences have not been documented by many States because of the lack of proper supervision and monitoring of such facilities by medical personnel, However, evidence exist of patients in chains developing sores which turn onto gangrene, thus leading to septicemia and death. Some suffer physical disability after cure.

The mentally ill person is always at a particular state of consciousness and in their state of alertness cannot understand why they are put in chains. While some of them because of sheer state of helplessness and despair may surrender to their fate and respond to treatment others may develop persecution complexes and react with more hatred and defiance to their healers and relatives. This often results in the intensification of the physical abuse until they subdue or die. The clinical approaches have resulted in the use of tranquilizers to handle aggressive tendencies. Although their therapeutic values are still debated they help to avoid putting mentally ill persons in chains.
Hence, Foroyaa proposes for all traditional mental healers to be registered and their treatment centres visited to find out how they could be assisted to improve on their facilities and treatment. No person should be put in chains. The mentally ill are no exception.

Source: Foroyaa

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

toubab1020

12238 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2013 :  17:47:27  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Snippets from,
FOROYAA EDITORIAL
Above.

"The mentally ill person is always at a particular state of consciousness and in their state of alertness cannot understand why they are put in chains.
While some of them because of sheer state of helplessness and despair may surrender to their fate and respond to treatment others may develop persecution complexes and react with more hatred and defiance to their healers and relatives."

I am very certain that I should suffer from this and react exactly as portrayed here if my life was the subject of inhumane imprisonment.
Two observations come to mind, LACK OF APPROPRIATE MEDICATION FOR THE MENTALLY ILL and LACK OF WELL QUALIFIED MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS TO CARE FOR THESE PATIENTS.!!!!

(I consider myself free of any mental illness,you may disagree ! )

" others may develop persecution complexes and react with more hatred and defiance to their healers and relatives."

"There is a traditional and clinical way of handling such a mental state. In the past, and as we are being informed now, traditional healers have been relying on chains to restrain such mentally ill persons who are prone to violence or flight from their healers"

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 23 Aug 2013 18:00:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06