Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Environment and sustainable development
 Mauritania bans plastic bag use
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  09:04:44  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
Good for the environment

-------------
Mauritania bans plastic bag use
2 January 2013

Mauritania has banned the use of plastic bags to protect the environment and the lives of animals and fish.

More than 70% of cattle and sheep who die in the capital, Nouakchott, are killed by eating plastic bags, environment ministry official Mohamed Yahya told BBC Afrique.
Plastic bag manufacturers could be jailed for up to a year.
Plastic makes up a quarter of 56,000 tonnes of waste produced annually in Nouakchott, official statistics show.

Mauritania's Organization of Consumer Protection head Moctar Ould Tauf said he welcomed the ban, Efe news agency reports.
It was of "particular importance" given the negative impact of plastic bags on the environment, animals and marine species, he said.

Read Full Story

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2013 :  21:22:41  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
The Mauritania plastic bag makes economical and environmental sense to me. We have enough problems with recycling plastic bag use in developed countries. In London UK the councils have enough problems trying to recycle plastic bags. There are incentives at supermarkets for customers to either reuse them or purchase textile bags or biodegradable ones. Well done Mauritania.

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

gambiabev

United Kingdom
3091 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  10:56:56  Show Profile Send gambiabev a Private Message
This is fantastic news. We really need to try to do the same in the West. Some towns in Uk try hard to limit the use, but we could all do more. I use 'bags for life' but then sometimes forget them and end up with plastic.
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  20:22:53  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Gambianbev,That's easily done. I've done the same thing myself and I am sure millions of others have too. Remember the saying " if a first you don't succeed try, try again.

It takes a while to give up a habit and the benefits of plastic reduction is good for our planet. So if nations can start to make plastic bag reduction more of a priority then this will help our planets' livestock and wildlife. In addition to this plastic bag burning which I've witnessed in Gambia releases so many toxicins into the environment.No doubt this is repliced throughout the world. Therefore biodigradable techology knowledge needs to be shared amongst nations to tackle this issue more effectively would assist in find solutions for plastic disposal.

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06