Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Education Forum
 History
 Origin of The Gambia National Anthem
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2012 :  19:24:30  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Yes, where is KONS.now ?

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  19:08:41  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message

Am alive and kicking. hahaha. I must admit when read years ago that he national Anthem was written not by a Gambian but a colonial official, my hear broke. If independence has to mean anything, it meant self reliance. It’s more like the oppressor preaching to the oppressed about life, liberty and freedom.
However one issue that really came to light is the non interest of the British in education. It was not until by 1956 did the colonial government began building schools and by 1965, the first batch of student that registered in Government schools had not even graduated from high school. That’s the legacy of failed education in Gambia just as in Botswana who at the time of independence had only one university graduate am told.
Gambia owes a lot of debt to the missionaries who by 1832 had already established a school in Georgetown.

This was the anthem that came in second.

Thy river gently flows,
Palms feath'ry fronds do wave
Small thou art, small may be.
Bless'd thou art! For from thee

Days gone by greater lands
Bless'd were they through thy toil.

Gambia Good-will land
O Koras sweetly ring:
Gambia: Gambia: God bless our Fatherland.

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  21:50:37  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Great to see you back Kons,and to see that you havn't changed at all ,whitie still cannot do anything right for Africa ha ha.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 24 Apr 2012 21:52:35
Go to Top of Page

kobo

United Kingdom
7765 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2012 :  02:41:24  Show Profile Send kobo a Private Message
Kondorong! Welcome back and take your time to review again previous posts to refresh our lost memories; especially other national anthems versions for Primary school kids in other local languages "LEEGAYE JOTNA" (Wollof vernacular), another Mandinka version amongst others

Similar nationalism spirit, traditional customs and soul searching is gaining ground on debate for England's national anthem; as Wales and Scotland thrived on its own national anthem for certain sports events (especially serving the powerful forces fighting greater devolution of power and independence). But England is stuck in regaining its pride on singing a more national anthem and flying its St George's or Cross flag with the claim that its ( highjacked by racist EDL & BNP)

More (courtesy of Daily Mail);

Also these are common or popular versions and/or options from on-going MSN news opinion polls for "What should England's national anthem be?"
  • God Save the Queen or God Save the King (ie the same as the British national anthem)

• Jerusalem

• Land of Hope and Glory

• Sing Low, Sweet Chariot

• Three Lions

• Another traditional tune

• Another contemporary tune

Edited by - kobo on 25 Apr 2012 02:54:12
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  00:48:52  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
The anthem above was submitted by Reverend J C faye. Am not sure by then if many gambians knew what a national anthem was all about. Its very likely that invitation probably were limited to banjul only. Radio gambia barely is heard beyond Mile 7 and news papers? for get it. may be in the Travelling magistrates' Offices or the Commissioners which are offices of patronage to be gazed form afar by commoners. It does not suprise me because of the 335 persons invited to the independence ball, only 35 were gambians. the rest were british. Even at our events, we were a minorty in our own land. The MP from Baddibu one Mr. Singhateh, seriously challenged Jawara on why gambians have not been invited.

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  00:54:26  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Senegambia

I read the reaction of Gambia's very own Dida Halake on maafanta saying we must get a new anthem. I disagree with Mr Halake and agree with Momodou and Toubab. This guy has given us all something to be proud of. The national anthem has got and preached it all: justice, freedom, development and peace. Only if we live it!

I believe halaki is right. We should have written our own anthem however "poor" it may have been. After 149 years of colonial rule, gambia should be able to write her own national anthem. For a colonial official to write it for us, is a sad historical index. However this was more clearly seen in the gift Gambia received from Senegal at the time of independence. A senegalese boat, brought fish thrown on the wharf of banul around wellington street as a donation to help feed the guest. that was fish probably caught in gambian waters and given to us a gift.

Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  00:58:03  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Janko

quote:
Originally posted by toubab1020

Janko,do I take it your post shows you are unhappy with the phrase "And join our diverse peoples to prove man's brotherhood." if so can you explain why ?

I had a discussion about the content of the national anthem with Kobo and others where we took up the question. I can´t find it.
KOBO, -please help us.

My believe is that the "diverse people" and "brotherhood" was nothing more than the Commonwealth.

Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2012 :  23:02:05  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Hi Kondorong,

It's good to hear your commentaries once more. Your contributions have been missed.

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

kondorong

Gambia
4380 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  20:07:36  Show Profile Send kondorong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Omega

Hi Kondorong,

It's good to hear your commentaries once more. Your contributions have been missed.

Thanks. in anticipation of May Day holiday, i take six months break every year but am reading every foot note you write

Go to Top of Page

kisley

United Kingdom
214 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  15:16:46  Show Profile Send kisley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kondorong

However one issue that really came to light is the non interest of the British in education. It was not until by 1956 did the colonial government began building schools and by 1965, the first batch of student that registered in Government schools had not even graduated from high school. That’s the legacy of failed education in Gambia just as in Botswana who at the time of independence had only one university graduate am told.
Gambia owes a lot of debt to the missionaries who by 1832 had already established a school in Georgetown.

speaking of "Britian's" non interest in education, maybe you should read about the history of education system in the UK...the poor didn't fair much better. Many people thought educating the poor would be wrong as "we" might become more discontented with our lot, demanding more rights, might even start to rebel
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  16:55:25  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
You will frighten poor Kons away with your knowledge of British history
"we" might become more discontented with our lot, demanding more rights, might even start to rebel"

Nothing changes,things always seem to come full circle

Edited by - toubab1020 on 03 May 2012 17:04:50
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  20:19:41  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
MSN News opinion Poll ? What,!!!!!
Daily Express or Daily mail but MSN News ! whatever next,one man I like who had a sincere comment and said this.

opened up the grounds of Bishopthorpe Palace to local children for a party to mark the day.
The Archbishop has previously expressed his belief that it is wrong the Irish, Scots and Welsh should all enthusiastically mark their saints' days but the English have not really been encouraged to recognise St George's Day in recent years.
'I would love this to be a day of dedication, that we will help those who are struggling within our country - help them like St George would have done,' the Archbishop said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1172916/Balti-chicken-naan-bread-BBC-celebrates-St-Georges-Day-alternative-national-anthem.html#ixzz1tpcX5Ent

That's better,The Daily Mail

"the English have not really been encouraged to recognise St George's Day in recent years." WHY NOT ? ANSWER, Politicians

Sorry about that folks, but you have to have a rant sometimes

quote:
Originally posted by kobo

Kondorong! Welcome back and take your time to review again previous posts to refresh our lost memories; especially other national anthems versions for Primary school kids in other local languages "LEEGAYE JOTNA" (Wollof vernacular), another Mandinka version amongst others

Similar nationalism spirit, traditional customs and soul searching is gaining ground on debate for England's national anthem; as Wales and Scotland thrived on its own national anthem for certain sports events (especially serving the powerful forces fighting greater devolution of power and independence). But England is stuck in regaining its pride on singing a more national anthem and flying its St George's or Cross flag with the claim that its ( highjacked by racist EDL & BNP)

More (courtesy of Daily Mail);

Also these are common or popular versions and/or options from on-going MSN news opinion polls for "What should England's national anthem be?"
  • God Save the Queen or God Save the King (ie the same as the British national anthem)

• Jerusalem

• Land of Hope and Glory

• Sing Low, Sweet Chariot

• Three Lions

• Another traditional tune

• Another contemporary tune

Edited by - toubab1020 on 03 May 2012 20:28:10
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  23:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
quote:
Thanks. in anticipation of May Day holiday, i take six months break every year but am reading every foot note you write

kon's I'm also looking forward to hearing some of your views on some of the foot notes. That I right as well. Enjoy your long break.

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06