Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Turism & Travel Forum
 Travel Forum
 WHAT TO DO ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  01:22:27  Show Profile
From all the countries I have been to, it is plain to see how these places are going out of there way to attract and accommodate the tourist and make there country a more interesting place to visit. All the countries I have been to had one thing in common they all had cultural centre depicting their history also traditional song and dance in thier national dress

Gambia has the foundation for such a place in Roots Village but this needs to be developed, I would think at relatively little cost to make Gambia more interesting
For one the museum at Banjul can be moved, as there is very little in Banjul for the tourist anyway this would enhance what is already at the Roots Village.
Also build more traditional African houses Make it a proper African village

Finally put on a song and dance show in traditional dress and maybe also include fire eater’s jugglers and magitians if there is such a thing in Gambia
How much would that cost very little I would think, from the average wage that is paid in Gambia Ok not good but it would create employment and yes WOW the tourists to spend their Pounds Dollars and Euros I’m sure the hotels would beat a path to such an attraction as there is very little else to do in Gambia that would equal it I’m sure like all the other places I have been with the cultural and geographical diversity it would be spectacular if done right. I think Roots Village would be the ideal place

However if the above is all too much, Gambia has a ready made venue for such a spectacular cultural show and that is the sports stadium.

So who could expedite such a thing and manage it maybe the GTA because to be honest I don’t know what they do to enhance tourism. Or as usual is this all a waste of space

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2012 :  03:42:37  Show Profile
The above has also been posted on GTA,s web site on You Tube maybe someone will listen
Go to Top of Page

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2012 :  04:34:46  Show Profile
From a 100 views of the thread at todays date It appears the general consensus is no one is intested in a cultural center or show So not only I got it wrong but all the other countries who see this as a great tourist attraction and money spinner
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2012 :  10:42:02  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Snuggles,I think that its not a matter of "disinterest" it's a matter that many readers of Bantaba in cyberspace are quite happy to see information sifted from news media and the comments that SOME post about,MOST Gambians are not really interested in politics,except politicians who like to have a platform to bring themselves to notice of Gambians which bantaba in cyberspace has been a good platform,now that the presidential elections have been held,what is left for them to spout about, yes there are the up and coming National assembly member elections next month,when that gets started you will see more activity here.Interested outsiders in Gambia such as us are viewed with some suspicion Gambians like to do things their way,which sometimes to our eyes is not the way we would do things,I have long felt that "we" foreigners are just about tolerated here,if that set up doesn't suit you,you are of course free to leave bantaba.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.
Go to Top of Page

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2012 :  17:07:49  Show Profile
Toubab I hear what you say and agree there seems to be a general lack of interest
in anything except politics I call it apathy As I have said elsewhere I see the situation with Jemmeh no different from President Macarby in Zimbabwe and Jemmeh will be in power for many many years to come So is ALL a waste of time

There is the saying and I think it fits Gambians
You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink

Footnote
I don’t think you can unsubscribe from bantaba You can only be blocked from posting as Turk was you can only give up posting as one is wasting ones breath

Edited by - snuggels on 23 Feb 2012 17:17:54
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  10:08:23  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
You are really funny Snuggles.

Being a member of Bantaba for many years now, you should have realised that no one is compelled to post or make a comment just for the sake of saying something.

A clear conscience fears no accusation - proverb from Sierra Leone
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  12:34:47  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
I understand Momodou,but bantaba is addictive (to me anyway ) and to snuggles also.
My view is Gambians are a very laid back people who often want to live their lives in private and in the way that they have always done,that means that they do not make genuine friends easily and are very family orientated and want desperately to maintain their tribal cultural roots,so outsiders are viewed with suspicion and what they think and do are often seen as interference with their way of life,even if they have the luck to be able to travel and work in other countries where they can have a better standard of living without having to endure the hardships that undoubtedly exist in Gambia their feelings remain the same as they do when they were at home in Gambia,it is a culture thing and that's home is where you were bought up when you were born and lived for years.

"Simple is good" & I strongly dislike politics. You cannot defend the indefensible.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 24 Feb 2012 12:36:00
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  13:24:59  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
There you go with the generalisation which Snuggles also wanted to bring up for discussion recently. Is it a surprise that you would come to the defense of Snuggles? No. Toubab, I am no anthropologist but forget about that "tribal" tag.

Bantaba members are not only Gambians and "none is compelled to post or make a comment just for the sake of saying something".

Genuine friends are not easy to get, specially when your hospitality and naivety have very often been abused by outsiders. History is the evidence.

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  14:28:50  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Momodou,"forget about that "tribal" tag."in your individual case ,yes, but in general terms I disagree with you,my opinion only, unprovable I know.

"Genuine friends are not easy to get, specially when your hospitality and naivety have very often been abused by outsiders. History is the evidence."

Works both ways Momodou,again from my experience,and I suspect that of snuggles.
I would prefer that you used the word "others" instead of "outsiders", then I would agree with your words,others being a wider field and not specific to Gambians.

Edited by - toubab1020 on 24 Feb 2012 14:40:09
Go to Top of Page

Momodou

Denmark
11512 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  14:55:46  Show Profile Send Momodou a Private Message
I agree that it works both ways but I was referring to your assertion that "Gambians are a very laid back people who often want to live their lives in private and in the way that they have always done,that means that they do not make genuine friends easily...."

Go to Top of Page

snuggels

960 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  16:19:15  Show Profile
Whoa Whoa back guys this is getting out of hand As I have said I’m not a political guy Not interested so I don’t post or reply to the political threads as I think it’s a waste of time for reasons have stated elsewhere and there are those who do not reply to my travel threads for improving tourism to Gambia or corruption as they also see it as a waste of time because nothing is going to change Its up to the individual of what he posts or replies to. Bantaba members can post what they like within reason its called freedom of speech I don’t think both subjects are funny but very serious Each to there own

Edited by - snuggels on 24 Feb 2012 16:33:13
Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  16:46:02  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
OK

quote:
Originally posted by Momodou

I agree that it works both ways but I was referring to your assertion that "Gambians are a very laid back people who often want to live their lives in private and in the way that they have always done,that means that they do not make genuine friends easily...."

Go to Top of Page

toubab1020

12237 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  16:54:05  Show Profile Send toubab1020 a Private Message
Snuggles,so far as I was concerned ,and I suspect Momodou too, were having a discussion,nothing more than that. It would be an even worse world if we all thought the same, looked the same, felt the same,you and I snuggles are addicted to bantaba also to our feelings about Gambia,we are outsiders,true, but we must recognise that our thoughts and ways of doing things are not the same as others,"nothing is a one size fits all solution to any problem" we are all individuals.

quote:
Originally posted by snuggels

Whoa Whoa back guys this is getting out of hand As I have said I’m not a political guy Not interested so I don’t post or reply to the political threads as I think it’s a waste of time for reasons have stated elsewhere and there are those who do not reply to my travel threads for improving tourism to Gambia or corruption as they also see it as a waste of time because nothing is going to change Its up to the individual of what he posts or replies to. Bantaba members can post what they like within reason its called freedom of speech I don’t think both subjects are funny but very serious Each to there own

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06