Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Forum
 General Forum: General discussion
 £100,000 fine for Skin-bleaching Cream Sellers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  00:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
At last the British Courts are coming down hard on Skin Bleaching Cream
sellers peddling their obnoxious poisons to vulnerable Africans with identity crisis.The question is was this punishment harsh enough or does it set a good precedent?

Peace

Sister Omega

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,26989-2532431.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/uk_news/england/london/6232343.stm

Peace
Sister Omega

Edited by - Sister Omega on 11 Jan 2007 00:21:49

kiwi

Sweden
660 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  09:11:48  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
Do you know if there are reported cases of damage needing medical treatment?

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  11:37:58  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Hi Kiwi01 here are

Harmful effects of skin lightening agents

Mercury derivatives:Neurotoxic problems such as ataxia, speech and hearing impairment; mental problems such as irritability, fearfulness, and depression; kidney problems such as mercury-induced nephropathy ; and immunotoxicity

Hydroquinone preparations:Ochronosis, a blue-black discoloration caused by deposits of ochre-colored pigment. Hyperchromia, presence of red cells with abnormally increased cell hemoglobin count. Hypochromia, presence of cells with abnormally low cell hemoglobin content. Neuropathy, disease of the nervous system.

Topical steroid products :Contact eczema, bacterial and fungal infections, Cushing's syndrome, acne, skin atrophy and pigmentation disorders.

For more info click here:http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2004/march/skinlightening.htm

Peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega

Edited by - Sister Omega on 11 Jan 2007 11:38:27
Go to Top of Page

kiwi

Sweden
660 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  13:02:32  Show Profile Send kiwi a Private Message
I know about the harmfull effects - thanks for the information anyway - but are there reports in connection with the case in court?

kiwi
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  13:38:20  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Kiwi, I haven't managed to find any direct casualities link with this case.

Peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

toubab

Gambia
92 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2007 :  20:56:58  Show Profile Send toubab a Private Message
Maybe an even more effective move would be to close down the places that produce these dangerous substances, and to stop the export of them. Maybe we should begin in our own back - yard!! At the top of this page are the Google Ads - one of which is for Xtreme white lighter skin and you get free shipping.....
Go to Top of Page

mariama

3 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  00:03:01  Show Profile Send mariama a Private Message
Why would anyone want to bleach themself, be thankful what u blessed with,black is beatiful. im half black n half white and i love my african side its me, just look at my name. Dont bleach and destroy ur skin accept yourself and be proud about your heratige. IF U DONT KNOW WHERE UR COMING FROM U DONT KNOW WHERE UR GOING. PEACE N LOVE
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  13:21:44  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Toubab in the Oluyemi case I've been refering too, they were prosecuted because they were selling prescription only drugsi'r steriods containing hydroquinone they're use is for demological problems such as eczema, posraisis,severe acne etc. But these steriods are used only on affected areas and are not suitable to use on healthy skin. There are cases ofBetanovate creams which is a strong steriod being used in daily skin care in African, and Asian communities around the world. There have been cases in Gambia where skinbleaching creams have been disguised as Coco Butter to flout laws brought in by the Gambian government in a positive move stop skin bleaching. I would like to suggest to the government to tighten its laws by insisting that all creams sold have proper labels on them and skin creams product sellers are routinely checked by Health and Safety for Skinbleaching chemicals. That heavy fines are imposed on the sellers of these prescription only steriod creams, and the fines should be targetted into Public Health and Education promotion on the dangers of skin bleaching,

Thereby challenging the popular misconception that light skin by skin bleaching is acceptable. To raise awareness and root out the psychological damage caused by this assumption, by looking at myths from Slavery, colonialism and Neocolonialism that have lead dark skin people to mutilate themselves. Steriods are only acceptable when they are used for skin problems, which they are prescribed for. Any other use is dangerous for general public use.

Mariama your point is valid and more postitive images of all skin tones should be celebrated, after all there is beauty in diversity.

Peace

Sister Omega.

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page

toubab

Gambia
92 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  17:05:40  Show Profile Send toubab a Private Message
And today there are two adverts at the top of the page, Xtreme white lighter skin containing Hydroquinone, and Skin whitening pills !!! Surely these adverts should not be placed as anything that can lighten your skin is dangerous.There are many adverts on the arab channels available here, for lightening creams, they have girls saying how their lives have improved and they get better jobs through using this product, and having lighter skin. The perception that lighter skinned people are more elite is an age old thing that still persists in many countries, though mainly Africa and India, decades after colonialisation. But the vunerable and disadvantaged will be taken in by this nonsense, so why not ban ANYTHING that claims to do this.On the other hand westerners seem hell bent on getting a tan at any cost, burning up on the beach here every day, because to them its a sign of well being and wealth!!! - or roasting on tanning beds. If you see skin bleaching creams on sale in the UK, do you report them, or are they being legally sold?? I know Shepherds Bush and Brixton markets were awash with them years ago, and kits are openly on sale here in the shops.
Go to Top of Page

Sister Omega

United Kingdom
2085 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  17:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Sister Omega's Homepage Send Sister Omega a Private Message
Toubab thanks for educating me about Tanning Creams I wasn't aware that they caused skin damage. Ihaving just familiarised myself with this phomenomia of artifical tanning dangers. I agree that these substances should also be banned because they are also a serious danger to health causing skin cancer. I think with more awareness of thesse creams containing these harmful ingredients it is a good idea to report stockists to the authorities. Here is a link on the adverse effects pf Tanning potions.

http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/news/tanning_safely.shtml

Peace

Sister Omega

Peace
Sister Omega
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06