Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Turism & Travel Forum
 Tourism: General
 Gambia Experience?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Momodou Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 11:58:36
I have seen this report from Gambia Civil Aviation Authority / Banjul International Airport FB page:
"Gambia Experience ( a reputable tour operator with ages of experience) Jets the first batch of 147 tourists from UK through Banjul International Airport (BIA)."

Can anyone confirm?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
toubab1020 Posted - 13 Dec 2020 : 12:55:57
Is now and forever shall be

quote:
Originally posted by rassimian

Rumour has it from ex pats living in the Gambia that the 5 passengers without the covid 19 test were Gambian Govt. officials, Enough said then. Seems like GE weren't going to refuse passage to those people ! One rule for some ,another rule for the rest.

rassimian Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 14:48:48
Rumour has it from ex pats living in the Gambia that the 5 passengers without the covid 19 test were Gambian Govt. officials, Enough said then. Seems like GE weren't going to refuse passage to those people ! One rule for some ,another rule for the rest.
Momodou Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 13:45:11
quote:

Are they being quarantined ? Maybe all 147 passengers and crew should be quarantined. 147 out of a max of 180 passengers. Can't be much social distancing there. I personally think that GE's approach has been one of total irresponsibility. Lets hope that flight does not increase the numbers of covid 19 cases in the Gambia cos they're not going down.

I think I have seen somewhere that it is self isolation now. The is no more government quarantine.

rassimian Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 13:25:59
Not really a ray of light toubab. What they haven't said is that at least 5 passengers were allowed to board without a covid 19 negative test result. This is part of the GE statement " The G.E. adhere to the Gambian Govt.entry guidelines. We advise all PASSENGERS that they will need to show negative PCR covid 19 test taken no more than 72 hrs before arrival. Contrary to reports being circulated on Weds 9 Dec. there were 5 people entering the Gambia without such a test." Prior to this statement GE included the following " we have now taken the decision to check covid 19 test certificates at Gatwick and deny boarding to those without it" This is a case of 'shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted' So nowhere does the newspaper report say this but yet GE confirm that THEY have transported passengers who may or may not have the virus to the Gambia! Are they being quarantined ? Maybe all 147 passengers and crew should be quarantined. 147 out of a max of 180 passengers. Can't be much social distancing there. I personally think that GE's approach has been one of total irresponsibility. Lets hope that flight does not increase the numbers of covid 19 cases in the Gambia cos they're not going down.
toubab1020 Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 11:53:22

Thanks Momodou , a small ray of light has appeared through the curtain of darkness and hope for the future is growing with Companies like Gambia Experience continuing to trade in difficult times.
Momodou Posted - 11 Dec 2020 : 11:15:45
2020 Tourism Season: Maiden Fight Lands in Gambia

Foroyaa: December 9, 2020

By Ndey Sowe

https://foroyaa.net/2020-tourism-season-maiden-fight-lands-in-gambia/

The Gambia has on Wednesday, 9th December, 2020 received its first flight through The Gambia Experience for the winter tourism season 2020.

The flight came from the Unite Kingdom (UK) and landed in The Gambia at 3.00pm. There were one hundred and forty-seven (147) passengers onboard, including Gambians in the diaspora and repeated tourists coming into The Gambia.

Using a 180-seater A320 aircraft with Titan Airways, the weekly flight will depart Gatwick Airport every Wednesday at 8:30 hours and arrive in Banjul at 15.00 hours. The return flight will depart Banjul at 16.00 hours and arrive in the UK at 2355 hours.

A source from The Gambia Experience said they hope the weekly flight would continue for the rest of the winter tourist season.

However, the source said the passengers they must have in their possession, a negative Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test result to travel from the UK, adding that a period of 14-days self-isolation is currently required after entry to the UK.

“I feel very excited to be home and I am just glad to be back,” Mariam, one of the passengers from London revealed.

Mariam intends to visit friends and promised to observe social distancing while she sees her stay.

Yankuba Gaye, also a passenger, expressed his delight to be back in The Gambia after eight (8) months since the start of the pandemic.

“I am really surprise to see that there are a lot of people onboard the flight to Gambia and there are lots of people in England who are waiting for this opportunity to come for holidays,” he said.

Gaye however advised all to adhere to the preventive measures in the country, which he noted ‘will be the only way to get the tourists to have the confidence that when they come to the Gambia, they will be safe.’

Oumie Cessay, Assistance Manager of Discovery Tours, said it is unprecedented to receive a maiden flight in December considering the Covid-19 pandemic is still alive.

“We are glad that finally, travelling confidence is improving,” she said.

Ceesay said the maiden flight is a small start but then “we will get there.” She said they provide representation for The Gambia Experience and not just for them but as a whole destination.

She shared her hope that with the introduction of the new vaccine couple of days ago, it will improve travelers’ confidence which will gradually increase the number of tourists.

Foday Bah, representing the Director of Marketing Gambia Tourism Board (GTBoard), said his institution has put plans in place to ensure they promote destination Gambia.

“We designed a new marketing strategy that can help us post Covid-19 to better market the destination, and we will focus more on online marketing,” he said.

Mr. Bah said the maiden flight is renewing hope because since the start of the pandemic, they were not expecting much. But they are now hopeful things will change for the better.

Ousman Kebbeh, who spoke on behalf of the Director General GTBoard, said they anticipate having a fruitful tourist season and the maiden flight is just the beginning.

“We are hopeful, but with the international travel regulations, I think working with the ministry of health is another plus. We are glad to support our stakeholders and we are hopeful that this is the beginning of a new collaboration that they are looking forward to,” he said.
toubab1020 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 17:35:07
A bit of news from ENGLAND in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/the-gambia

SNIPPET:

" To enter The Gambia, you will need to show a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than 72 hours before you arrive in The Gambia
You must present a physical copy of the test results to Ministry of Health officials upon arrival. Failure to present a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than 72 hours before you arrive in The Gambia to Ministry of Health officials will result in you being tested and quarantined for 14 days at your own cost "

So it you want to be quarenteened for 14 Days
toubab1020 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 16:03:01
Thanks for that info rassimian,I would like "Dear Reader " to be aware that the PRIVATE Covid 19 TESTING company has had problems :

LINK:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-55235679

++++++++++

quote:

This appears to be correct information. A GE Titan plane did land at Yundum International from the U.K. Gatwick. at about 3pm Gambian time.
According to my information it was full but carried 30 passengers without covid test confirmation. If that is true then surely those passengers should have been quarantined but don't know about that. GE said it was not up to them to check whether passengers had the covid test confirmation so maybe some covid 19 positive tourists are now in the Gambia.

rassimian Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 12:56:07
This appears to be correct information. A GE Titan plane did land at Yundum International from the U.K. Gatwick. at about 3pm Gambian time.
According to my information it was full but carried 30 passengers without covid test confirmation. If that is true then surely those passengers should have been quarantined but don't know about that. GE said it was not up to them to check whether passengers had the covid test confirmation so maybe some covid 19 positive tourists are now in the Gambia.

Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06