Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Tax Based Economy chosen for New Gambia.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
toubab1020 Posted - 08 Jan 2020 : 12:00:46

"TAX based Economy" Is this the correct system to provide growth in NEW GAMBIA ?

IF NOT, what is a democratic alternative ?

The Last Question is one for the achedemics to post on

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By Nelson Manneh on
January 7, 2020

Yusupha Jaiteh a young Gambian entrepreneur said high taxes levied by government is the reason why local businesses don’t grow.

Mr. Jaiteh is residing in Bundung. He ones contested in the past local government election in Bundung-Bohole Ward but couldn’t make it. He is currently serving as the coordinator of the councillors’ association in Bundung.

“I spent over D50,000 in establishing a local bakery in Bundung, but due to the heavy tax levied on my business, it could not yield any revenue for me,” he said.

He said the government should reduce the tax-levy on small businesses and support them by creating the enabling environment.

“The stakeholders keep complaining that the youths are not ready to take responsibilities but they forget that they are not creating the environment for them to do so,” he argued.
The young entrepreneur said the government should not put the same tax charges on both the local and foreign investors.

“They should invest on the youths either directly or indirectly and make sure that they believe in them,” he said.

Mr. Jaiteh who also dilated on the ‘Three Years Jotna’ issue said African leaders are very slow to act and the Barrow government should wake up.

“The coalition government promised to be in power for three years, they should fulfil their promise,” he said.

Mr. Jaiteh said he is not in support of the protest that the young people are embarking on, noting that there are many other issues that the government is not handling and those are the things they should protest for.

“There are inadequate job opportunities in this country, this is what we the young people should consider because this is what is affecting their everyday lives and is one of the main contributing factors that lead to illegal migration,” he said.

He said he is supporting the three years’ agreement, but if President Barrow decides that he will not step down then Gambians should wait for the constitutional mandate of five years and vote him out.

https://foroyaa.gm/high-taxes-on-domestic-businesses-hinder-their-growth-says-young-gambian-entrepreneur/
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
toubab1020 Posted - 21 Jan 2020 : 22:06:27
QUOTE BY Abba Sanyang,"tax must also be judiciously managed and ploughed back to the people, while challenging the tax authorities for a sectoral reform programme.

He thus advised the GRA to also come up with many innovative ideas in collecting taxes."

GRA MUST work out a system of tax payment from Gambians who in most cases have NO MONEY,would payment in Chickens Goats or peanuts be acceptable ? NO so GRA go to plan B.........Whih is ?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Friday, January 17, 2020

The governor of Central River Region (CRR), Abba Sanyang, is the latest to add his weight on the need for voluntary tax payment to government.

He emphasised that Gambia is a tax based economy and the country can never develop if citizens do not pay their taxes.

He made these remarks in an exclusive interview with this reporter at Janjanbureh recently, in which he said tax is a natural phenomenon and is for all nations. He cited that people need to understand that payment of tax has existed since time immemorial.

According to the governor, in The Gambia, taxation seems to be very difficult based on our education, availability of resources, method and means of taxing. He added that there are several factors responsible for it, saying: “I think GRA losing more revenue in taxation is based on their method of monitoring and research.”

The CRR governor also argued the need for tax reduction, saying tax should be reduced and spread so that everybody would be willing to pay. “But if you make tax high, people will find it difficult to honour their tax obligation; not actually refuse to pay but it will be unaffordable. So these are the strategies in taxation. Everybody should be able to acquire and determine which methods is the best. People also should also understand that everybody in this country is supposed to pay taxes.

“So it is the responsibility of all and sundry to endeavour and honour our tax obligation,” the governor emphasised.

He said tax must also be judiciously managed and ploughed back to the people, while challenging the tax authorities for a sectoral reform programme.

He thus advised the GRA to also come up with many innovative ideas in collecting taxes.
Author: Abdoulie Nyockeh

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/gambia-can-never-develop-without-tax-says-crr-governor

Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06