Bantaba in Cyberspace
Bantaba in Cyberspace
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
 All Forums
 Politics Forum
 Politics: Gambian politics
 Driver Shot by GAF at Checkpoint.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
toubab1020 Posted - 22 May 2019 : 13:07:56
Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Former Lance Corporal Ismalie Tamba, a native of Kanilai in Foni Kansala of the West Coast Region was reportedly shot by personnel of The Gambia Armed Forces (GAF) on Sunday after a brief squabble with soldiers at a military checkpoint at Kanilai, the home village of former President Yahya Jammeh.

More than nine soldiers have been taken to custody by personnel of the military police in connection with the incident while investigation continues.

Tamba was shot in his back. He was rushed to Bwiam Hospital but later referred to Edward Francis Small Teaching Hospital in Banjul for medical attention.

The spokesperson of the GAF has confirmed the development to The Point. “At the moment what I can tell you is that about 10 personnel of the GAF have been taken to custody by members of the military police. The matter is currently under investigation and we will update you in terms of any development,” he said.

A source that spoke to our reporter on the condition of anonymity described the shooting of the unarmed civilian as ‘unacceptable’ and called for immediate investigation into the matter with a view to unearthing the circumstances surrounding the incident.

“I see no reason why a trained military officer will shoot an unarmed civilian who in fact poses no threat. We have been undergoing lot of intimidation since the change of government. We have been patient but I’m telling you that enough is enough,” he told our reporter.

The victim, our source went on was driving through the military checkpoint with his passengers from Brikama. “His vehicle checked by the soldiers on duties and was allowed to pass. When he dropped the passengers, he decided to make a U-turn back to Brikama. But this time, he attempted to pass the checkpoint without stopping and the soldiers on duty urged him to stop.”

According to our source, he was interrogated over his attempt to pass the checkpoint without stopping and equally urged to drive back to the checkpoint.

“Tamba told the duty soldiers to allow him park well off the road. He also told the soldiers that he was thinking that he had just passed through military checkpoint to drop his passengers and that there was no need for second stop.

According to our source, Tamba was shot while parking his vehicle. Our source added that the people of Kanilai are demanding justice over the matter.

“If the soldiers on duties feel that Tamba breaks the law, let them arrest him and allow the law to take its course rather than shooting him.”

Recall: In 2017, members of the ECOMIG Forces that were stationed in Kanilai shot Haruna Jatta, a 54 year old man.
Author: Momodou Jawo

http://thepoint.gm/africa/gambia/article/ex-soldier-shot-at-kanilai
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
toubab1020 Posted - 24 May 2019 : 11:46:27
May 23, 2019

Due process requires adherence to the principles governing the justice system.

First and foremost, every person in The Gambia has rights which must be protected by all agencies and agents of the state. Hence when shooting takes place that threatens the life of a person, those responsible for law enforcement must conduct diligent investigation into the cause of the shooting and its impact without making any statement that is prejudicial to the case.

Once the investigation is complete one should rely on the evidence available to determine whether there is a case to answer or not. It is only after investigation is complete that a statement should be issued that has material effect on the case.

Foroyaa strongly advises that those called members of the disciplined force should show example in ensuring that nothing is uttered that is prejudicial to a case involving a member of the security force. A pronouncement from any quarter that is prejudicial to the case could constitute a gross disregard of the principle of due process.

http://foroyaa.gm/gunshot-at-kanilai/

Bantaba in Cyberspace © 2005-2024 Nijii Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. User Policy, Privacy & Disclaimer | Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06